“Number 1 in the Country!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hope and Glory Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Irvington
Hope and Glory Inn
65 Tavern Road, Irvington, VA 22480   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Irvington B&B and Inns
Connecticut
“Number 1 in the Country!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012 via mobile

Tripadvisor has this place as #1 of 1 in Irvington but should say " #1 of many in Virginia" - if not the entire US. We stumbled upon the Hope and Glory on a road trip through VA. We wish that we had planned a longer stay. We stayed in a 2 story cottage in a storybook setting of other historic cottages in the back of the inn. All furnishings are upscale " New England beach style" with antiques and new pieces tastefully mixed. Luxurious bedding and dozens of decorator pillows on our king bed. Robes and extra pillows in 2 closets. Their Speaker for playing iPhone tunes came in handy because there is no tv in the room - not that we needed a tv. The service and hospitality Alone would have made this place number one for us. My husband needed a gluten-free dinner and breakfast and they did not hesitate to provide Delicious meals, even though we dropped in Late in the evening without reservations. The little bar area is called Detention. That's because the inn was a schoolhouse at one time. The chalkboard walls are still up in the bar area and have hilarious writings As if you were Assigned to write something as part of Your punishment. They also own a vineyard called the dog and oyster. We didn't get to try any of the wine, but we drove by and the story about the name is wonderful. Be sure to look it up. We're already planning to visit again next month. What a wonderful respite from the hustle and bustle of DC within a short drive.

• Stayed December 2012

130 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Charlottesville, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

For incomers from England Thanksgiving is a challenge, once we outgrew the annual waifs and strays invite to friends family gatherings we tried Williamsburg, traditional but too crowded, New York Macy's parade, fun but freezing cold. We may have found the solution.

From the moment we entered the main "schoolroom" we knew we were in good hands, light, relaxed, cosy, exquisite, spacious. The warm welcome from our hosts Peggy and Dudley was equally reassuring. Great food, beautiful rooms, attentive service (even down to additions to the thanksgiving feast for our vegetarian daughter). As other posters have mentioned "Detention" is not to be missed either.

Already plotting return with a group of girlfriends to try the spa.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

In late October, my sister and I took our mother to The Hope & Glory Inn — to enjoy some hope and glory. Let's face it, when a woman raises four children and is married to the same man for 59 years, turning 80 must be recognized and rewarded in style.

From the time we arrived in Irvington, after a little stop and shop in Urbanna, the gentility of the South reigned supreme. The welcome mat was rolled out by Meseret Crockett, the manager, who escorted us to our cottage and insisted on assisting us with our luggage. The cottage, a bungalow style with a front porch, living room, 2 bedrooms and bath, was perfect for a 2-night pajama party.

After settling in and meeting Dudley Patteson, who shared the history of the property with us, we girls decided we'd been naughty and needed to report to DETENTION, the cute bar off of the living room. A beautiful fruit and cheese plate and bottle of wine was delivered to our table. It turns out our mother's sons-in-law had cooked up that nice surprise for us — and Peggy Patteson and Meseret made sure it was perfect, even including rice crackers, because I have celiac disease.

A delicious birthday dinner followed in the intimate dining room and culminated with the chef, Anne Kirkmyer, coming out to deliver my mother's 80th birthday dessert, accompanied by applause from the gracious guests. A night to remember.

We tooled around the Northern Neck on Saturday after a lovely breakfast. We shopped in Kilmarnock, White Stone and Irvington and collapsed in our cottage until dinner, which we chose to enjoy at the inn. Meseret suggested that we might prefer dessert and coffee in front of the fireplace in the living room...a perfect end to a fun and special day with two very special women. (The only thing that would have made it better: wearing my pajamas in the living room in front of the fire....but I think there would have been some very unsettled guests if I'd done that.)

I'd like to address the dining service at Hope & Glory, since we enjoyed two breakfasts and chose to have both nights' dinners on property. There was complete attention to detail regarding my dietary restriction. Gluten-free bread had been purchased so that I could enjoy the same breakfast my mother and sister were having...French toast. What a treat. You would have to be flour-restricted and travel frequently to appreciate what an incredible pleasure and rarity this level of hospitality represents. Only The Fairmont Empress in Victoria, British Columbia, has approached this thoughtfulness, in my travel experience.

The grounds of Hope & Glory are unique and charming. I can't imagine how beautiful the gardens must be when fully in bloom; they were lovely in late October. Small towns on the Northern Neck offer a few shops and restaurants ( we liked Urbanna best) and a culture that revolves around the Rappahannock River and delicious oysters. It's a quaint and historic area, decidedly Virginian, and I think The Hope and Glory Inn is the absolutely perfect place from which to enjoy the area. Dudley and Peggy Patteson, the owners, are gracious and have hired staff members who are as attentive to details as they are....and sweet. Meseret Crockett, the manager, is genteel and accommodating. Every employee with whom we interacted sought to please.

Our weekend was a treasure; the gift of time together is the greatest gift. My sister did all of the researching and reserving and made the perfect choice when she chose The Hope & Glory Inn. I have a feeling we'll return for another milestone celebration.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Virginia Beach VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

I just returned from a corporate retreat at Hope & Glory and am already planning a romantic return with my husband. I can hardly imagine a better inn or B&B exists in Virginia. It was that superb.

Upon first entering the Inn I was warmly greeted by Dudley, who with his wife Peggy runs the most pristine and cozy inn with a passion for guests and a creative flair. I was escorted to my room (Schoolhouse 4) and given a quick tour of the property. It sparkles with wit and charm, just like the innkeepers. The inn is an old schoolhouse with several uniquely appointed guest rooms in the main house. Out back there is a brick patio area with a fountain and tons of conversation nooks. There is a path that leads to several cottages, each one different from the next and with whimsical signs to remind you that a little levity goes a long way when you're on this property. "Sleep Naked" is outside the Honeymoon Cottage which sits alongside an outdoor bathing garden with a claw-foot tub and pots of flowers.

My room was a study in comfort. Two oversized reading chairs faced my incredibly comfortable bed. The room was done in black, cream and taupe, very soothing and a great balance between masculine and feminine. My bath was spacious with an antique claw tub/shower, dressing table and plenty of nice amenities provided. I had a private balcony with chairs and a view of Irvington. Gorgeous in every aspect. I felt lucky to be there.

Meals were wonderful, with attention to presentation as well as seasoning. Locally sourced treasures such as spiced Virginia apples were introduced alongside a breakfast spinach souffle' with thick bacon slices, rosemary fennel potatoes and freshly baked muffins. I could hardly remove myself from the table, and the servers took the time to describe each dish in a very special way. This staff knows how to succeed in the service industry! Peggy has clearly shared her secrets to keeping guests happy with her team and you always feel that the warmth and smiles are sincere. A guest knows his patronage is appreciated.

We enjoyed cocktails in the bar with Meseret, a wonderful treat! The bar has a name, Detention, and there's a little notebook where you can enter your reasons for being in Detention.

For our retreat the Inn coordinated a local scavenger hunt so we could explore Irvington, which is a charming town full of local color. We were also treated to a Virginia wine tasting event which was another opportunity to interact with wonderful Dudley.

As much as I loved my room, I must say that my lingering impression of the Inn is in its common areas: comfort abounds, nooks beckon, and there is an undercurrent of happiness that runs throughout the property. I usually like to keep my treasure finds a secret, but I feel I owe it to Dudley and Peggy to shout from the rooftops that a visit to the Hope and Glory is a gift to your soul. Well done!

Room Tip: The website accurately and currently depicts the rooms. The main inn rooms do not have TV's, whi...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Washington, DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

I must confess, after my husband and I visited Hope and Glory earlier this year, we felt the need to keep it a secret. We couldn't believe that such an idyllic place existed just a few hours from D.C. From the beautiful accommodations, to Chef Anne's stellar meals, to the incredible hospitality and warmth of Peggy, Dudley & Meseret, this special Inn is truly a little slice of heaven.

I returned in early September for my Mother's birthday, and she was equally taken with the Inn. She has not stopped raving about what a unique place the Inn is, and about the extra care Meseret and Peggy took in making sure that her birthday was spectacular.

The Inn has now become my "special" place, and is just too amazing to keep it to myself. I look forward to enjoying it for years to come.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Norfolk, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

My husband and I needed a last minute weekend getaway and were looking for a winery with a B&B. When I came across Hope & Glory it seemed like it would be perfect. We ended up only being able to visit for one night, but it was an absolute dream! Peggy & Dudley welcomed us like family! The Inn & its grounds were gorgeous and we stayed in Cottage 4. It was perfect with its fireplace during such a cold, rainy weekend. On their recommendation, we visited the Good Luck Vineyards (quick drive away) and rode the Inn's beach cruisers over to the Dog & Oyster Winery (amazing!). The outdoor clawfoot tub was great even in the dreary weather. We did dinner at the Trick Dog Cafe which I was pleasantly surprised by! I didn't know what to expect in this little town, but Trick Dog was fabulous-- we enjoyed a dinner of oysters and filet mignon (could have used a butter knife!). Next time we look forward to eating at the Inn's restaurant as we heard amazing things. We rounded out the night with drinks in "Detention"-- too much fun! Of course, breakfast was phenomenal. Overall, there are just not enough great things I can say about Hope & Glory! I still can't believe it took us this long to find, but I promise we'll return time & time again. Thank you Peggy, Dudley, & Meseret for making us part of the Hope & Glory family! Looking forward to more adventures there! - Amanda & Scott

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Vienna, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

My husband and I had not been away in a couple of years, so we decided to take a long weekend for some golf and relaxation. My parents used to go to Tides Inn and thought it was great, so I went online to check it out. I accidentally stumbled across The Hope and Glory and started to read the reviews. They were amazing! I had found our place. I have to admit, I am certainly not an experienced traveler because if I were, I may have done a little more research so I would know what to expect in Irvington. Driving to our little getaway, I realize that Northern Neck is a bit more rural than I had anticipated.

The Hope and Glory Inn is a little corner of heaven on earth. Let me think, what was our favorite part? Was it the gardens, the food, the cottages, outdoor shower, or maybe detention where we had too many drinks? Or maybe it was the people? Peggy and Dudley were wonderful hosts. We spent time with Anne who cooked up a couple of amazing dinners and made us laugh. And then there is Meseret. Never in my life have I encountered a person who so honestly wanted to make every guest feel so very special. It was if she read our minds and just knew everything we would need to make it a perfect stay. All I know is that for 4 days, we were in our own wonderful world. When we left, we felt as if we were leaving old friends. We will be back.

Room Tip: We loved the newer cottage with the upstairs bedroom.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hope and Glory Inn? Share your experiences!