“Marriage” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Heavens Holler B&B

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Indian Valley
Heavens Holler B&B
You added Heavens Holler B&B to your Saves list
610 Indian Valley Post Office Road NW, Indian Valley, VA 24105   |
Scottsboro, Alabama
“Marriage”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

My husband Gabe and I just spent the evening after our wedding at Heaven's Holler. We could not have found a better location or more wonderful people. We consider it a huge blessing and loved every minute of it.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

Amazing! The beauty of this place is truely amazing. You will feel your stress lifting and your spirit refueling just walking around and breathing in the mountain air. It was exactly what we needed in our busy lives and crazy schedules. It was a few days in Heaven. Our hosts, John and Linda were wonderful, gracioius and so helpful. The pictures we took of Heavesn Holler while we were there are breathtaking. We have them as our screensavers, so every time we turn on our computers, it takes us back to this wonderful place. We hope to get back there some day for another lovely visit. It was perfect!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Bermuda
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2011

The initial approach to Heavens Holler is down a steep driveway, hidden in a bend of the road, at the top of a small mountain. So, at first, you can't see your destination and like most travelers you are asking yourself "Where am I going? Is this the place ? Will it be nice?" As you round the first steep bend, you already know it will surpass all your expectations.

The house and barn are set in a notch on the corner of a foothill that rests between two valleys, looking out over a range of hills as far as the eye can see. Everywhere you turn is a vista that draws your eye further and further. You park - step off the gravel verge onto a brick path - lilies at your feet and and hummingbirds at your ear - that carries you onto the perfect porch. And on that porch, where a resonator guitar hangs beckoning, you sit down, take in the view, the sounds, the fresh air and breathe out. And that is even before you meet your hosts.

John and Linda have the ease of professional, accomplished people happy to share with you what they have figured out is best in life in this part of the world. The house inside and out is an art and architecture lover's delight: the setting is idylic, the planning and siting of the house, the gardens, the walking trails, are so in harmony with the environment, the mountain, with the culture of the place that you can literally feel it hum - this place is perfect.

The breakfast menu was varied and satisfying, each classic selection prepared and served with its own delicious personal interpretation, served on that perfect porch. Returning from a day long outing we sat on the porch and nursed a beer as a cloud literally rolled over us and we breathed in fresh cloud dew. I can still feel exactly what it felt like sitting on their porch: the sounds of day turning to night, crickets replaced by croaking frogs from a distant pond. John and Linda were gracious, self effacing hosts who let us experience the place as if it were our own - from the resident ducks and dogs and cat - to the canoe on the pond and walking trails next to the creeks - but happy and eager to elaborate on any of the aspects of the house and the place they have transformed. It is an effortless transformation - The website gives you an inkling of John's design talent but when you see how the buildings are perfectly sited in the landscape , how salvaged stained glass elements have been incorporated into skylights, experience how odd corners in the rooms are turned into places to read in curious danish modern leather chairs on persian carpets, under eclectic original art from New Orleans, with musical instruments everywhere, you are inspired to bring home as many of the ideas as you can. Every part of the house has a story but if we hadn't asked these gracious hosts they would have been content to let us have our space and simply share in the peace and joy of the lovely place they have built.

As it was, I left having more clarity of what makes a house sing and with a bit more courage to try and implement it in my way. But, most of all, we left rested, relaxed and smiling and wishing we could stay a few more days. I have been to a lot of beautiful places and this is one of them and one of the few where I can still perfectly recollect the feeling of the place.

Can sitting on a porch give you hope? This one can.

Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
philadelphia, pa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2011

I have never written a review on trip advisor, but when I saw one of the comments on one of the entries here was compelled to address it; this is not a "review" of the b&b, rather a scheduling issue between this gentleman and John, the owner. It is unfortunate that the timing did not work out; we on the other hand were able to stay for two nights at Heavens Holler and are able to give a review. We had a wonderful experience. After reviewing the website; it was everything and more! Apparently many others share the same sentiment.

It's not in town - if you are looking for in town; forget it! It's beautiful and secluded. If you are looking to get away from it all and relax; this is the place!

Comfortable, clean, beautifully decorated. We stayed in the Cozy Suite. Plenty of room for two!

From the balcony of the Loft; a beautiful view of VA rolling hills, where while sippingon my delicious morning cup of coffee I had the pleasure of watching the antics of three ducks which Linda personally raised from chicks; take flight, synchronized circling of the skies, went so far until you could not see them and then returned; listening to their wings flap as they gracefully came in for a landing. It was a privilege to be a part of. No wonder they did not fly away, rather return to Heavens Holler. After being there, anyone would!

A casual and warm atmosphere - hummingbirds, one rooster and a few hens running . The owners, John and Linda greeted us and took care of us - the food was great!

If you do want to take a beautiful drive into town, Floyd is a small, quaint, mix of new and older shops. After buying some T-shirts, kitchen items, food, hand crafts, wine, and candy I was ready to go "back to the farm". Do stop at the Hardware store, even if you don't need tools...they have a little of everything there. I got a beautiful small wooden bowl.

We visited a magnificent winery and dined at a Country Club at sunset, outside, with a stunning view. Just ask John and Linda and they will steer you in the right direction.

Can't wait to get back there again some day.....

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Wellington, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2011

I passed through with my mother on the way from Florida to Toronto. Unfortunately we could only stay one night as we were off the next day to continue the journey. When we arrived we were amazed with the view as we descended the (very) steep driveway towards the house. The house was beautifully decorated, with a lovely wrap around porch and garden with a few chickens and ducks. We stayed in the Loft and it was so nice I would have loved to live there. The room was clean and uniquely decorated. It felt very comfortable and homely. It is about 20 minutes from the closest town, so we drove out for dinner on the windy, hilly country roads. Breakfast was delicious, and we went for a little walk in the grassy paths that crisscrossed the fields and forests around the house. I am a very particular traveler and I would highly recommend this bed and breakfast to other travelers. I would love to return for a longer escape.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Roanoke, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2011

First and foremost I'm a very reasonable person. I've worked in customer service for over 15 years and have dealt with a wide variety of customers. Also I am a strong supporter of local businesses and travel leisurely to other cities with an over-night stay at least four instances a year.

----

Last year I won a one night stay at Heavens Holler B&B in a local contest and spoke with John (the owner) to reserve a room.

I thought it would be a nice treat to spend my 5-year anniversary with my wife and if the B&B was to our liking, make it an annual tradition to stay at this business.

Being almost 6-months from time of reservation, I thought it would be best practice to confirm the reservation. I decided to contact the business and spoke again with the owner John. He apologized for not contacting me earlier this week, but stated that the weekend I had reserved was not available and asked if I could reschedule.

I decided to rebook for the following week. Might as well "re-reserve" again just in case.

After some research in checking with mine and my wife's schedule, I opted to see if the day before the original reservation was available. So I called John back and learned that day as well, was not available.

John told me that an emergency came up and that whole week will not be available.

While I do understand the concept of emergencies, I don't really get emergencies one month away. But, that's cool, I can deal with that.

I mentioned to John that since the original and the day before were not available. I declined use of his Gift Certificate.

"I don't understand," was his response.

I mentioned that it is poor business that a customer has to find out about an issue by contacting the merchant. It would have been more appropriate had the business contacted the customer instead. And since the latter was the case, I don't feel I would want to stay at Heavens Holler. Not saying as a threat, just being honest with him so that he can open his reservation log for "re-reservation" for another customer.

I also mentioned that his business practice would be discussed with many friends and family members so they can make an educated decision on their own if they also would stay at this establishment. Not really a threat (I've dealt with threats before from previous lines of work in customer service - and they don't really do much). I'm just mentioning that the course of events would be discussed with others.

John proceeded to tell me, "Good, I hope you tell others because if they are anything like you, then I don't want them staying here either." Then abruptly hung up on me.

So now I'm led to wonder if I wasn't supposed to be staying here to begin with.

Oh Well!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2010

we found this to be everything we could ask for
beautiful property lovely hosts
we were greeted with wine and lovely conversation and it just got better
breakfast was incredible lindas decadent crepes are delicious as is the beauty in the simplicity of the granola with the pears apples picked fresh from the property
we enjoyed a private concert on saturday night
our return isnt a matter of if its a matter of when few things meet expectations and this exceeded all expectations

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Heavens Holler B&B? Share your experiences!