“Good Property with Untapped Potential” 3 of 5 stars

The Marriott Ranch Bed and Breakfast
5305 Marriott Lane, Hume, VA 22639   |
Ranked #2 of 2 Hume B&B and Inns
U.S.
“Good Property with Untapped Potential”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

I believe the management at the Marriott Ranch genuinely wants to make the property into a place where all guests would enjoy the stay. The manager phoned me after I had expressed unhappiness to the staff upon checkout regarding the services provided at the B&B, which was a much appreciated gesture since I didn't request be contacted nor did I expect it.

First, the positives. The Marriott Ranch is located on a huge working ranch of beautiful rolling hills, surrounded by wineries and abundant natural charm. The historical house that the B&B is located in is very nice. The bedrooms are big, airy, with high ceilings and plenty of colonial style. It has all the promise of a great property for relaxing weekend stays, weddings, and a base for tours of the Virginian wineries.

It has promise, but it falls short in many ways. The Marriott name seems just that, a name. The corporation has not instilled in the running of the property its hotel management expertise. The service provided at the B&B is therefore wanting in that there is minimal staff--one person was on property when we arrived. There was no greeting, no one to ask directions when we drove onto the property, no one to open the door to the neglected looking front porch, and no one was in the foyer when we walked in. When the lone staff finally emerged after a while, it was only to tell us that our rooms were not ready and we'll need to wander for a few hours on our own.

If the property will not have the Marriott-style hotel service, then it also falls short in the unique attentions associated with B&B properties. While the room I had was beautiful, the bathroom was so small that I had to sit sideways on the toilet or my shoulder would bump up against the wash basin. The shower curtain smelled of mildew and the tiles inside the shower stall were lined with brown stains that I hesitated stepping in. Despite a pretty dining room, the Marriott Ranch is not making full use of it as only breakfast is served on the property. Breakfast is chef's choice, which is really a lazy way of saying that the chef only knows how to cook a small set of things, consisting of hard biscuits, overly salty grits, and so so bacon and fried egg. I requested that grits be on the side rather than poured over my biscuit, but the staff served it poured over the biscuit anyway, saying that the chef forgot her request. I really had to bite my tongue and not say "how about you remind him and ask him to serve it on the side?" In any case, I felt bad wasting the food, as it was so salty that it was inedible to me.

For lunch and dinner, we were completely on our own, and since there is no grocery store nearby, you really need a car to driver to the nearby towns. We went out to dinner in pouring rain, driving through 20 minutes of dark, unfamiliar country roads with almost zero visibility it was raining so hard. Obviously, the weather is not the B&B's fault, but coming back to the house, not having a single staff on the property was problematic (no staff is on property after 6 pm, apparently, and for emergencies, we were given a list of phone numbers. The first person on the list was away at the beach that weekend). We were completely soaked through by the time we ran from the parking lot into the house. No one was there to lend an umbrella. There was no way to request extra towels to dry off. I couldn't find any place to adjust the air conditioning, so had no choice but to dive under the comforter shivering. It was a pretty miserable evening.

The next morning, when we checked out, I discovered that since I had called to make the reservation for two rooms for my friend and me, I was charged for both rooms. I made what I thought would be a routine request to separate the bills, but the staff person said she didn't know how to do that. Since she was the only person working that morning, we had little choice. I paid for both rooms on my credit card. It is not a big deal of course between my friend and me, but it really underscored how we spent an entire weekend at an isolated property with little service and not much comfort, while paying over $200 a night.

I was disappointed in the stay and will probably not return again. However, I do think the place has promise, if the management would only step up to utilize its potential.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Celebration
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

I stayed here with a friend after purchasing a coupon. We had an overall very enjoyable stay. The property is lovely, and the drive through the area is gorgeous, especially beginning in this fall season. It is a working ranch with cattle all around, and rolling green hills that seem to go for miles.

We came to the hotel in the later morning so couldn't check in. We first came into the house and it didn't seem anyone was there. The woman checking us in was a bit cold and honestly looked perplexed at why were there. She handed us an open envelope, and when we inquired she said she had no idea what was in it. As it turns out, it was the wine tasting certificates and map of the area. I am not sure why she didn't either a) bother to look in it or b) offer to look at it and find out. We later saw this same staff member, and she was warm as could be. Maybe she just was having a bad moment, not quite sure. It wasn't the welcome we anticipated but the rest of the stay was enjoyable with friendly staff.

We had a horseback riding scheduled so we just left stuff in the car and went up the road to the trails. The staff there was nice but not talkative, so there was some awkward silence on the trail ride, although the scenery was breathtaking and the stable was nice.

The room we stayed in was a carriage room, off from the main house. It is cozy and comfortable but you can hear anything louder than soft conversation from your neighbor, so take earplugs or be prepared for that. It is clean and though small, had adequate space and storage for our things. The main house is charming with a dining room, parlour and pantry area with complimentary sodas, water, and snacks.

Breakfast was plated and served at communal tables, just like the wine and cheese in the evening. It was a nice part of the B&B experience. The food was delicious, and they were kind enough to take into account dietary requests the night prior.

Wineries abound in the area and even just driving around proved entertaining. Historical sites such as Manassas, Shenandoah, and many old mills and structures are nearby. We had a sheet of at least 20+ wineries in the area that were within about a 20 mile radius.

Yes, Marriott owns this property as JW Marriott purchased it himself years ago for personal use. However, this isn't your 4-star business accommodation. Previous reviewers have mentioned its 'communal bathroom' (some house rooms share a bathroom, others are private so please inquire) or having to sit together at breakfast. This is a small B&B, and with that come different experiences than a chain hotel. Be prepared to meet your neighbors, relax on the porch in rocking chairs and stare at beautiful landscapes. If that isn't what interests you, there are other places to stay that offer more traditional hotel amenities.

I would not recommend this place for young children, as the walls are thin and there isn't the space needed for them. However, older children (>8yo), couples, friends, or solo travelers would enjoy this location. Only other con is that our beds were quite hard. Combined with two hours of horseback riding we didn't have backs that were very flexible the next day. Other than that, we found this property to be a nice overnight getaway that recharged our batteries and is just an hour outside the city. I would love to visit again in the future when I needed a short break.

Room Tip: Some main house rooms share a bathroom. The carriage house rooms are not sound-proof. Pick your batt...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Washington DC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

The Marriott Ranch was a pleasant B&B located near many vineyards. We stayed not in the main house but a small building next to the main house. The room was fine, it was more modern than I expect the rooms in the main house are. The walls were very thin and I heard the neighbors TV until very late. I would recommend ear plugs.

The B&B is very pretty. The common rooms nice. The provide guests with free sodas, water, small snacks, and wine and cheese in the afternoon. The breakfast was average at best. The staff were very friendly and helpful.

These are nice restaurants about 15 minutes drive, as well as many vineyards offering tastings. It did not appear as though there were many activities to do on the grounds but there are many nearby. The best part of our stay was the horseback riding we did at the ranch. The stables are a short drive down the road. Make sure to reserve ahead of time.

Room Tip: I wish we had been able to stay in the main house. I would recommend requesting one of those rooms n...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Columbia, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012 via mobile

A great escape from the city to an historic B&B on a real working ranch. There are wineries everywhere! Did I forget to mention two chefs cook breakfast? The ranch also has horseback trail rides every day but monday.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
New Orleans, Louisiana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

This accommodation/venue/Inn has 10 rooms that were built in the late 1800s...

The rooms are cute, but no individual temp. controls and you can hear everyone in the other rooms... yes... you hear it all. There was also a communal bathroom down the hall for some of the rooms...OMG!

Staff was RUDE and only got rudder...

Got nasty looks when I asked questions.

It was a waste of money to be paid to be treated so badly, and the food was horrible that was offered in the morning. They forced us to sit together, which no one at the Inn wanted to do... we all ended up joking about it, but I felt at the end like I was at Norman Bates Hotel... what was next! LOL!

Try anything else... but dont expect Marriott Hospitality or anywhere near it. JW is probably turning over in his grave.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Stafford, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

We found this fabulous property to be steeped in Marriott family history, as well as those of the Marshall and Yates families. While we did not stay in the main house, but in the Fairfield suite, we found the rooms and beds to be very comfortable, and the air conditioning first rate (if you've ever been stuck in a room with a awful A/C, you'll know what I mean!) The large flat screen TV and Dish Network satellite entertained the girls at night and the main house was accessible to guests 24 hours a day. The featured wine and cheese reception every day is a welcome opportunity to visit, and the butler's pantry is open all day/night as well with an assortment of complimentary soft drinks, water and snacks.

The breakfast service is first-rate featuring a "chef's choice" entree with fresh fruits, juices, coffee AND a selection of fresh baked pastries. An absolutely delicious and welcome start to the day.

This is a working ranch. Cattle roam freely and, more than once, we had to stop the car to let cattle cross the road in front of us. The house is located some 500 to 600 meters from the road, on a hill that overlooks grazing pastures in every direction. It's private, quiet and welcoming. What a great way to spend the weekend!

Local pubs are available just a few miles from the property as are a number of awesome Virginia wineries!

Our stay was a relaxing respite from the bustle and tumble of D.C. and the surrounding area. We will definitely find our way back to the the Marriott Ranch!

Since this is a review, I'll add one single, minor suggestion:

1. Morning coffee service starts at about 7:30 AM. For those who are habitually early risers, having coffee is always a plus. Perhaps consider an earlier coffee service, or (better yet) a Keurig coffee maker in the butlers pantry?

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Towson, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

The Marriott Ranch B&B in Hume Virginia is a historic property which dates back to the early 1800's and it was purchased by the Marriott family in 1951. It is well located for the local winery tours and historic sites. The rooms are beautiful and comfortable. The staff was very helpful. Included in the price was a wine and cheese hour at 4 pm and a wonderful breakfast in the a.m. The pantry is stocked with snacks and drinks, and it is open 24hr a day. The property itself is lovely. I would recommend this B&B highly.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Been to The Marriott Ranch Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!