“Great Weekend escape from the City” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Marriott Ranch Bed and Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hume
The Marriott Ranch Bed and Breakfast
5305 Marriott Lane, Hume, VA 22639   |
Special Price
20% off Week Day
Ranked #2 of 2 Hume B&B and Inns
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Great Weekend escape from the City”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2012

I really like the history of this place. It was actually built by James Marshall, not John Marshall as one reviewer stated. James was the brother of John Marshall. Our room had it own bathroom and working wood fireplace. We were greeted with wine and cheese. The place has wifi and satellite TV if needed. The property is really nice with live cattle and horses. It is a working farm. They offer activities like horseback riding, plus the access so some good wineries plus breakfast was included. The restaurants are a bit of a hike, but the Plains offer some nice ones. If you are looking to escape to a quiet and beautiful place where you can have a bottle of wine and watch the sun set over the mountains and then go up and light a fireplace in your room, this is it. Not all the rooms have king beds or fireplaces, so keep that in mind. The room and house was very clean and the staff was very nice. Lots of options for staying here. There are three different styles of rooms: Manor rooms (Inn like), Carriage House (hotel like rooms next to the manor) and the Baroness cottage down from the manor which can be rented by itself or it has a few rooms.

Room Tip: Loved the Morris room because of the King bed, fireplace and bathroom in the room. All the Manor ro...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

51 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Burke, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2011

Not much to do around the ranch but that is the point. Stop at a winery, take a bottle to the ranch, sit on the deck and watch the sun set. Fabulous breakfast in the morning too!! Go back every few years.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
suburban washington d.c.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2011

This house with 10 rooms was built in 1877 by John Marshall, first Chief Justice. It has been renovated (ac, heat, plumbing) and sits on 4200 acres of gorgeous land. This is a working farm with cattle; horses are available to ride on trails. When we checked in, no one offered to help with bags. The room was charming, but no individual temp. controls. Free wine & hors d'oeuvres are from 4:00-6:00. At 4:25, the hostess was just beginning to gather things to put out. Wine, cheeese, fruit. Guests mingle over drinks. There was a young couple just married the previous day; another, a woman travelling alone, and another couple in their late 40's early 50's who were clearly in the smitten stage of their dating. Although there were 14' ceilings and a working fireplace (no wood), the bathroom was TINY. The woman who showed us to the room explained there was also a communal bathroom down the hall. We were descending the staircase; I spotted a decorative tea pot on the windowsill which I thought might be Italian, so I carefully turned it over to see. I then heard a woman bark up the stairs at me CAN I HELP YOU??? I said no, everything's fine.

With 7 people drinking wine, and only 1-1/2 bottles offered, we asked for more. Dirty looks were exchanged between staff. Long story short - the staff was kibbitzing and begrudgly set out a minimal amount of wine (mediocre).

This is the part that I find inexcusable: With an extremely large dining room for the full breakfast, Only ONE table was set. This forced us all to sit together to eat! Fine, I didn't mind the cocktail hour thing, but the smitten couple sat at a table and were told to move. The newlyweds wanted to eat alone; c'mon staff, this is laziness at its most severe. We ecountered all kinds of rude behavior, except from Whitney, with whom we made reservations.
She was helpful. For the $385 chaps and chardonnay package (including visits to 3 wineries, one of which was closed on Mondays - and we wwere there on Monday). I would never go back, and we are Marriott Gold level members. If you don't like people, don't work in a B&B!!!

Room Tip: Insist on something healthy for breakfast. We were offered pastries, and stuffed french toast. Carbs...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2011

I miss it already! The folks at the ranch were so helpful and friendly it felt like home, but it was Hume! You won't find a more beautiful setting in the states, it was acre after acre of lush rolling green hills scattered with cows and horses. A weekend away was totally restorative. My only suggestion would be to mow the grass several days before an outdoor wedding, not the day before if possible. I feel badly for the people to had to clean up the grass out of our room after us.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Dusseldorf
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2011

Our trip was wonderful and the staff incredible! The lady who helped with our reservation (Whitney I think was her name) was knowledgable and made me feel like she truly cared about our comfort and safety as we were going to be arriving late and driving quite a ways. Check in was fast and the staff ready to take care of anything we asked. Did I mention how beautiful everything was? The cottage was lovely and the breakfast delicious. They even printed out maps for us to get into Washington, D.C. We will most definately stay here again should we come this way.

A must to stay at if you are in the area!
Wonderful, Wonderful, Wonderful - Marriott got it right with this place.

Room Tip: The Cottage was lovely.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Brentwood Md.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2011

The scenery was fantastic, but the room that we stayed in was not clean. The bathroom tub and floor looked as though it had never been cleaned or vacuumed. We had to get in the car and go down to the Wal-Mart for cleaning supplies. The chairs outside on the small patio area of the Fairfield Inn Suite, just outside the main house looked as though it had urine stains on them (Which may have been from being outside in the rain)

When we took a tour of the Manor House one of the room’s comforter (white) had ketchup stains on it and the Inn Keeper said it won’t come out. You mean to tell me that they do not have another comforter to put on to replace the damaged one. Why is Marriott trying to skimp on the quality of the ranch?

If Marriott is going to charge the amount of $219.00 for a room at the Ranch then pillows and comforter should be top notched.

If you are planning on going there, make sure that your room is clean smells.

I am very concerned that Marriott would run such establishment.
There is enough room for a spa and fitness center

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Washington DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2011

We loved this quiet and relaxing escape at an Inn. We needed a break from the hectic life in the city with the kids and this was the perfect place.
I was hesitant to stay here because the pictures of the rooms were pretty lousy on the website. However we were very pleased! We stayed in the Fiery Run room in the carriage house. I appreciated the up to date room. I don't like B&B antique feel, I like a new room the standards of Marriott and that is what we had...nice bed, decor (pottery barn ish and simple). We found it delightful to not have a phone in the room and had fine cellphone coverage to check in with the kiddos back home.
My other pet peeve of B&Bs are the chatter with random people. I was pleased that the staff was friendly and polite but not interested in chatting for long periods of time. If we needed anything we could get it (they had free snacks and non alcoholic drinks in the pantry area). The wine and cheese was relaxing to enjoy on the front porch rocking chairs. We visited the Rappanhock Cellers in the afternoon, played shuffleboard, then sat on the rocking chairs with a bottle of wine and enjoyed the quiet country feel. The breakfast was delicious and I again enjoyed having a quiet table for two in the morning.
The one negative is that we could hear our neighbors talking in the next room but it was not disruptive. The other reviews mentioned cleanliness. While there were some grass clippings on the floor, I think this is more due to having wood floors on the ground floor next to a farm. The rest of the room was very clean and simple.

Room Tip: We enjoyed the carriage house due to its more modern feel.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to The Marriott Ranch Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!