“Decent enough but not great.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Vine Cottage Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Vine Cottage Inn
7402 Sam Snead Hwy, Hot Springs, VA 24445   |
Special Offer
AUGUST MID-WEEK SPECIAL
Ranked #1 of 2 Hot Springs B&B and Inns
north carolina
“Decent enough but not great.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2006

Another reviewer hit the nail right on the head.

Good Points.
We met one of the innkeepers and he was nice. Breakfast was wonderful. The first floor is cozy. Some of the back rooms we peeked in on looked nice.

Bad Points.
I wasn't very impressed with this B&B. Don't get a room in the front as you can hear traffic going by regularly. The community bathrooms aren't nice. The blankets we pulled from the closet had me sneezing (dust mites maybe).
The room furnishings are not very attractive. Everything is old, yet not of antique quality. The kind of furniture that you can buy at the Goodwill.

Next visit, since Hot Springs is so small and The Homestead has plenty of parking, I would stay at another B & B off the main road that's not quite as shabby.

• Liked — breakfast
  • Disliked — bathrooms
  • Tips/Secrets — there are better B & Bs in the area.
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

95 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2006

Great B&B in Hot Springs, Va.

<>My sister and I had a four-day stay in Hot Springs, Va. at a fantastic B&B -- the Vine Cottage Inn . The rooms are beautiful, the beds very comfortable and the breakfast is to die for! The innkeepers, Jo and Jonah, obviously have years of experience in the hotel business. They are very personable and we enjoyed hearing about their business. They offered great recommendations on what to do in Hot Springs and the surrounding area. We enjoyed visiting the Homestead -- but not paying their exorbinant prices. We were able to take advantage of lots of activities available at the Homestead, but we also did lots of other things, like visiting the Jefferson Baths and getting fantastic hot stone massages.It was a fantastic, very affordable, getaway and my sister and I plan to return next year.

<>As for the breakfasts, be sure to ask Jo to prepare her famous Orange Pancakes. These pancakes are great and she provides such a fantastic, big breakfast that you will have plenty of great tasting food in your belly and not need to eat again until dinner time.

<>FIVE STARS FOR THE VINE COTTAGE INN!!!! [--]

A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2005

I just returned from a 4 day stay at the Vine Cottage Inn and enjoyed every day of my visit. Since several days were warm, I enjoyed reading on the comfortable front porch. I finished my book and fortunately the inn had a nice selection of books and magazines to choose from.

Now for the day that was chilly...I visited the nearby spa which was sooooo soothing, then took a short hike-the foliage was absolutely brilliant and the air nice and crisp. This was a trail that the innkeeper recommended and was only several miles long and not strenuous. Amazing what you can do after a visit to the spa.

As the Homestead is almost next door, I enjoyed tea there and dinner as well. The food and service is excellent. Also, Snead's Tavern is nearby and is a great place to have lunch.

My room at the Vine Cottage Inn was very comfortable and the owners were very hospitable and accomodating. Breakfast was always a special treat, especially the stuffed french toast and the cheese strata with sausage. As they have a refrigerator for the guests, I was able to keep my yogurts and snacks there and not go out to lunch every day as they provided the tea and coffee and even served me.

I definitely plan to visit this lovely Virginia mountainous area again and will stay at the Vine Cottage Inn.

• Stayed November 2005
OHIO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2005

My girlfriends and I had our 24th high school reunion this past summer at this fabulous Inn. While we would have liked to stay at the Homestead we found this to be sooo much better. The Inn owners were delightful and went out of their way to make us comfortable. The breakfasts were incredible. We hated to leave but were so happy to make such good friends in our hosts and look forward to seeing them again in the years ahead. The Homestead had nothing on the Vine Cottage Inn. I wouldn't even consider staying anywhere else while in Hot Springs.

• Stayed July 2005
Greensboro, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2005

Kudos to Jonah and Jo Windham!
I can't believe anyone could ever have a bad experience staying at the Vine Cottage! These are two Very dedicated inn keepers. When my father-in-law, (a long time resident of Hot Springs,) passed away, we stayed at the Vine. The inn keepers where wonderful and very sensitive to our situation. A Class Act Couple! As a professional cook and baker, I can honestly say that the Breakfasts where fantastic.
There are several rooms yet to be updated but the owners are working on fixing at least one every few months. A great deal of money has been spent on things some guests wouldn't notice, like a new roof! My favorite rooms are 5 and 7 (shared bathrooms), but 12, 14 and 16 are also nicely done. Perfect for families, couples or the single traveler, The Vine Cottage is top notch!

• Stayed June 2005, traveled on business
Perry County, PA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2005

I've stayed in many B&Bs. This one just isn't up to standards. We only met one of the innkeepers and he was nice enough. Breakfast was wonderful. The first floor is beautiful.

But, now for the bad points. There is no air conditioning. While the room gets cool late at night, don't expect to be comfortable before 11 pm. They have a thermometer in the hall that registered 84 degrees.

There was no shower and the small hose that was attached to the tub tap kept falling off. Plus, the water temperature wasn't stable. While I was bathing, someone else must have started their bath. I got a blast of water so cold that I yelped!

Parking is very limited. Cars must park each other in and you must leave your car keys at the desk. Then when someone needs out, the innkeeper gets in your car and drives around the block while the other car gets out. Personally, I don't like other people driving my car.

Lastly, there was a notice on our room door that stated the maximum to be charged for the room was $100. We were charged $110.

• Stayed June 2005
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2005

My friend and I stayed at the Vine Cottage Inn and found the two owners warm, friendly, and excellent breakfast-makers. Wood was constantly added to the fire in the living room and I felt at home the moment I stepped in the door. The owners were helpful with advice about local attractions, events, eating, and - thankfully - with directions on how to get everywhere.

Been to Vine Cottage Inn? Share your experiences!