“Fabulous Dinner” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Richmond VA
“Fabulous Dinner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

Wonderful service, and great food. Salmon was huge! The wine list is impressive. All the beef is local. The lounge area with fire and TV's were nice for relaxing afterward. Game room downstairs.

Visited September 2013

63% Recommend
Charlottesville, Virginia
“Food & Service :)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

The food was very good and priced fairly. It was the waiter who made me smile. Kind, funny, prompt. He brightened a rainy day.

Visited September 2013
Washington, DC
“Food Quality Doesn't Justify the Prices”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

It seems that the Jefferson is the newest food option at the Homestead. We were there on Saturday 14 September and was not impressed with the quality of service or the food. For a soup I had the yellow tomato gazpacho, which was terrible and I actually sent it back, which is very rare thing for me to. I normally just "make do." In this case, the dish was presented to me with two blobs of something in the bottom of the bowl - one green and one red. The waitress poured some sort of clear liquid in the bowl and then promptly left. Am I to stir this up or just eat it as is? No instructions given. So after stirring up this concoction, I was left with a kind of vegetable broth-like soup (cold, which it should be), but with absolutely nothing that tasted like tomato. I sent it back and ordered the soup that my wife got, which was a corn chowder. That was yummy. My main course was something touted as a "lamb t-bone." When it came out it neither had a bone, nor was it cooked the way that I was told it was going to be cooked. It was very rare and not medium-rare as I was told it was going. At the price for this entree, I was thinking about sending it back again, but at this point, the meal was a loss. On to dessert, which turned out to be another disappointment. We ordered the white peach cobbler. This was overcooked and had no flavor of peaches at all. Matter of fact, I thought it was apple. During the meal we had wines by the glass, but the prices of the wine by the glass were outrageous - one glass of wine that I had, which was just so-so, was almost as much as the bottle of wine that we got at the Inn at Gristmill in Warm Springs the night before. Most of the entrees were in the $40 and higher. If you are going to charge that kind of money, your meals better be spot on. Unfortunately, the Jefferson is not there yet. If I were the Omni management, I would reduce the prices until you get things worked out - I think people would be more forgiving if they paid less for the meal. In the meantime, my suggestion would be to eat out at one of the restaurants in the area or just stay at the Greenbrier, where you are going to pay a little more, but the food and the service is far superior.

• Visited September 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
“Bad food!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013 via mobile

The atmosphere was gorgeous. However the food took way to long and was over cooked. The waitress was nice however my recommendation is to eat your wine!

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Lexington, Virginia
“Needs work - too many missteps”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

My two mistakes: First, I really should have asked for a different table.

After a cocktail in the bar area (beautiful view - there was a wedding with an inflated, lit balloon), we checked in for our reservation, and we got "the look" - kind of like Ferris Bueller’s experience at Chez Paul. (I know it was not intentional, and barely noticeable.) I thought it might have been just me but my wife confirmed the same feeling.

We were placed way back and out, what later seemed to be the server training area.
After seating, we received different dinner menus. "I think I'll have the grouper." "That's not on my menu." "Hey, we have different menus! That's weird!"

After getting the menus straightened out, I asked for a wine list and server gave us the by-the-glass list. Server was away by the time we realized this. Finally got the bottle list, and pricing is insane. I expect that for by-the-glass, but the bottle prices were just as out-of-line.

I settled on a nice Chateauneuf with some bottle age - I can live with the premium they were charging for an aged bottle. Our server returned - "we don't have that wine" - so, back to the list.

Forty-five minutes have now passed. "I'm sorry, but we're very busy tonight." HUH???

After a struggle, our bottle is opened and I finally see our appetizers on the way, with our entrees right behind!!! Our server has the same expression I do.

I don't know if our server knew that we knew, but entrees were diverted back to the kitchen (prognosis unknown).

After a few minutes I asked the server to send the entrees on - I'd rather pile it all up than risking the wait for our mains.

The food was really good - surprisingly good after our experience so far. So I really can't give this a terrible rating.

And no, we didn't complain. We just got to the point of cutting our losses and bailing out.
So there's my second error. But I've corrected that one now.

The Homestead presents a standard for a dining experience, and this one this fell so short of that. I really do hope they can renew and maintain the standards that you come to expect from this Virginia icon.

• Visited August 2013