“Good, but...” 3 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Charleston, South Carolina
“Good, but...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2014

One thing to remember when you go to Sam Snead's Tavern is that you are in a resort area that has limited options for dining. The result is that prices are fairly high for what you get. I had two glasses of wine and a plate of pasta (more on that in a bit), and my bill (with tip) was over $50.

Our server was okay, but not exceptional. (I arrived before my friends and did have a nice chat with another server and the bartender.)

The decor is somewhat dated, but it is what one might expect and is comforting in its own way.

The food was good, but for the price not such that I would rave about it - except for one thing. Of the group with which I was dining, two of us cannot have gluten. The restaurant is quick to offer gluten-free bread, which is very good. The chef will prepare several of the dishes without gluten (hence my pasta). It really was tasty, and I very much appreciated the effort that the chef and his staff made to prepare it for me. If the prices were a little lower, I probably would have given the restaurant a Very Good rating due to the chef's efforts.

So, I recommend that you try it if you have not been to Sam Snead's Tavern. Just know that your finances will be reduced a good bit when you leave - not a unique situation for the area!

• Visited July 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Williamsburg, Virginia
“Cold!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

It was a warm summer evening. But the frigid temperature in Sam Snead's was only exceeded by the staff's cold attitude. Perhaps their indifference was due to our not being clients at The Homestead, which provides the restaurant with a captive audience. After repeated entreaties to raise the room's temperature, someone finally turned on a gas fireplace in the room which provided little respite from the chill. The meatloaf with blue cheese was lukewarm and dry. The accompanying mashed potatoes were tasteless (did they forget the garlic?). Our friends' entrees were equally mediocre. The wine prices were ridiculously high ($12 for a glass of mediocre wine? OK if you're in DC but outrageous when compared to other restaurants nearby). This area has much to recommend it; but best to avoid this place.

• Visited July 2014
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Vienna, VA
“Delicious Casual Dining”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

Great place for golf enthusiasts with all the Sam Snead memorabilia throughout the restaurant. I had the trout (lightly fried and local) while my husband enjoyed his ribs dish. Both were delicious. Like all The Homestead dining venues though, it was not cheap, but it was very good. Recommend.

Visited July 2014
Bristow, Virginia
“Nice atmosphere, good menu”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

Only open for dinner. I wish we had sat in a different place. We got the booth next to the exit. Wasn't very warm and inviting. The bar looked nice though. Food was good. Same price as the main dining room, but this is casual dress.

Visited July 2014
Portsmouth, Virginia
“Friendly Staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

Food was good. Had a burger & fries. Very tasty.

We sat at the bar & the staff was so friendly. We loved talking with them. It was the best part of our night.
However, I would suggest a reservation. Or get there early if you want to sit at the bar. It fills up fast.

Visited August 2013