“Friendly Staff” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Portsmouth, Virginia
“Friendly Staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

Food was good. Had a burger & fries. Very tasty.

We sat at the bar & the staff was so friendly. We loved talking with them. It was the best part of our night.
However, I would suggest a reservation. Or get there early if you want to sit at the bar. It fills up fast.

Visited August 2013

“Needs attention!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

There are very few places to eat in Hot Springs and this is one of them. The tavern may be quaint but it is also rather run down. It needs some serious updating and maintenance. The bar looked nice but we by-passed it on our way up a narrow set of stairs to our table. They suggest reservations but it wasn't crowded for a holiday weekend. We weren't given a choice of where to sit even though they did have an outdoor balcony and other patrons coming behind us were offered ta choice. The atmosphere was bland. We ordered drinks which came fairly promptly and were good. We got our salads in a timely fashion but after that we waited a long time. Other patrons who arrived after us were being served their food but we had to ask our waiter what was going on. At no time did he check on us after delivering the salads or inform us of any problems. We then found out the kitchen had "lost" our order and it was just being prepared. Within a short time we received our meals and they were mediocre at best, certainly not worth the wait. I had fish and part of it was still cold, the rest were vegetable and they were ok. It wasn't a large portion of food which most times I appreciate but having waited so long I was really hungry. My husband liked his food but I don't remember what it was. We ordered some dessert to fill up and they deducted 50% of the bill due to the mix up. We did appreciate the effort they made to compensate us for their mistakes but if I had a chance to go there again I wouldn't.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Leesburg, Virginia
“Food was awful and expensive...”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014

We ate dinner here our last night at the homestead. We actually left the Spa garden to eat here. I was not very hungry. My husband and I ordered the Irish nachos ( waffle fries with cheese and chili). Those were Ok ... nothing special. Could be easily reproduced at home with frozen waffle fries, canned chili, and cheddar cheese.

I ordered for my meal the Spring Rolls. I was told by the server that I would get 2 spring rolls cut in 4 pieces. This sounds like enough. The Rolls were advertised with smoked chicken inside with jicama and watermelon and BBQ sauce. I received a plate with the 4 pieces. The jicama and watermelon were cut pieces in the middle of the plate ( I thought they would be in the spring roll). The entire plate was saturated in BBQ sauce including the jicama and watermelon. The chicken tasted liked leftover bits. It was minced and rubbery...not sure if canned or leftover rubbery bits of chicken. Disappointing and disgusting. I couldn't eat it. I made my husband try it to see if I was being crazy. He eats everything and said that is gross and and wouldn't touch it. He encouraged me to send it back. I witnessed another table send back their food. The night before I witnessed someone send back a dessert because she didn't like it. Now I get it.

Here is how described on menu:

Smoked Chicken and Tasso Spring Rolls
Watermelon & Jicama Salsa,
Sam's Barbecue Sauce

The manager came over and said how is your food... I sheeplishly, negatively replied..OK? but it was obvious that I was not eating it. He darted. When they took my plate no one asked if I liked it or whatever. I am sure they have stopped asking because people tell them the truth.

My husband ordered a wedge salad which stated $9. Then below it said chicken $12. So my husband asked for a wedge salad with chicken thinking it would be $12 with a few strips of chicken. These gigantic deconstructed wedge salad came out. It was on a long rectangular plate with a small head of lettuce cut in 4 pieces and in the 4 corners. Then there were a few tomatoes on the plate, two gigantic chicken breasts in the center, and a couple strips of bacon on top. This was in no way identifiable as a salad. It looked like 2 chicken breasts with heads of lettuce on the side all spread out on a long rectangular plate. My husband asked about whether he got the right meal because it looked like grilled chicken as opposed to a salad. She said, oh you need dressing. He started to eat the chicken and found all of the dressings smeared on the bottom of the plate underneath the chicken ( no where near the lettuce). Weird. Anyway this "salad" adventure was 9+12=$21... the chicken although a lot was an additional $12. That was a surprise! My husband commented there is more flavor in a Wendy's salad this salad was bare bones.

I had glass of wine. I think it was $12 but I don't recall... I just remember my husband and I commenting that is was more than my meal.

This place is not worth leaving the Homestead or the Spa. Save your money and go to subway if you have kids or eating at the Jefferson Grill Bar.... The hamburgers and Virginian is what you expect of a resort.

• Visited July 2014
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Buena Vista, Virginia
“Awesome steak!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

We both ordered the steak, which was incredible, but sides were almost non-edible. Roasted veggies are one of my favorites, but these were very rubbery, indicating to me that they had been cooked and then left for a while before being reheated under a heat lamp. :-( Wait staff was okay.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
ohio
“casual, lovely old building, pub type”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

The menu was very limited. Ordered and shared a BLT salad and it was very good. The entrée portions were very small, at least what we ordered. The roasted vegetable lasagna was pitiful; the roasted potatoes with the beef tenderloin were the size of an olive and dried up. The tenderloin was good, however. Unfortunately we felt an "attitude" among the hostess and wait staff, which soured the evening.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere