“Cool atmosphere, average food, expensive” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Armenian
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Richmond, Virginia
“Cool atmosphere, average food, expensive”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2014

We wanted a casual spot to take our young kids to dine. Sam Snead's was recommended. We had a pleasant experience- had a very nice server- but for the price of the food, we expected a little higher quality. If you're going to charge $25 for fish and chips, it had better be something pretty spectacular...

Visited January 2014

Alexandria, Virginny, USandA
“Excellent Tavern Meal on the Homestead Property”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

This location is a departure from the larger and somewhat stuffier eating opportunities up the hill at the Homestead, although this is a Homestead restaurant (you can charge to your room). We sat on the ground floor, right next to the bar, near the large gas fireplace. It was a bit tight, not too crowded, but not the spacious dining experience you get up the hill in the Big House.

My son and I had burgers, daughter the fish and chips and wife something else, and all were good. Service was very friendly and attentive, and when our meal was a bit slow, she took 20% off the bill without even the hint of a problem. I can't remember the last time I was afforded that kind of treatment in any kind of restaurant. Dessert was good, as were the appetizers.

As with any Homestead eatery, get a reservation before you arrive, as they fill up fast, especially during peak holiday periods.

• Visited December 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Owensboro, KY
“Quaint Tavern Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2014

If you are staying at the Homestead, I recommend walking over to Sam Snead's for a great experience. Ask to sit by the fireplace as we did and take time to look at the memorabilia along the walls. Begin with the Pimms cocktail. The pub fare was fun and adequately prepared. I had the chicken pot pie which I enjoyed and our table shared a variety of desserts. Overall, a terrific evening.

• Visited November 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Richmond, United States
“Just okay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

Cute tavern for golf lovers' memorabilia. Very nice waitress, Kelly; however, the food was disappointing. Fish and chips were very bland and greasy, and the dollop of coleslaw was terrible unless you like horseradish and raisins. The bleu cheese stuffed meatloaf should have been named nutmeg meatloaf as that is all I could taste. Where was the bleu cheese? We really wanted to like this restaurant, but we did notice a lot of food left on patrons' plates.

• Visited January 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
South Carolina
“SO YUMMY”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

I loved this restaurant! They service was great and we felt at home! I loved all the old artifacts on the walls. The blue cheese meatloaf if TO DIE FOR. It was very yummy and worth EVERY calorie! I also enjoyed the salmon another night I went there. This is a very fun and well run place!

Visited January 2014