“Excellent Tavern Meal on the Homestead Property” 5 of 5 stars

+1 800-838-1766
Website
Improve this listing
Cuisines: American, Pub
Dining options: Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: This gastro-tavern blends modern techniques with traditional recipes while providing house-made comfort dishes qith a quality approach.Selections include Tavern Slammers, chicken pot pies, sauteed Allegheny Mountain trout, Sam's selection of grilled steaks and fun desserts such as our famed cinnamon doughnut bread pudding and apple cobblers. Wash it all down with a vast menu of wines and regional brews that complement savory dinners and a unique setting in the village of Hot Springs. Enjoy viewing the pictures recapping the life of the late legendary golfer, Sam Snead. Sam Snead was born here in Hot Springs and always made it his home. Sam's professional career spanned nearly seven decades, and he amassed at least 185 tournament victories, more than any other player in the history of the PGA Tour.
Alexandria, Virginny, USandA
“Excellent Tavern Meal on the Homestead Property”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

This location is a departure from the larger and somewhat stuffier eating opportunities up the hill at the Homestead, although this is a Homestead restaurant (you can charge to your room). We sat on the ground floor, right next to the bar, near the large gas fireplace. It was a bit tight, not too crowded, but not the spacious dining experience you get up the hill in the Big House.

My son and I had burgers, daughter the fish and chips and wife something else, and all were good. Service was very friendly and attentive, and when our meal was a bit slow, she took 20% off the bill without even the hint of a problem. I can't remember the last time I was afforded that kind of treatment in any kind of restaurant. Dessert was good, as were the appetizers.

As with any Homestead eatery, get a reservation before you arrive, as they fill up fast, especially during peak holiday periods.

• Visited December 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Owensboro, KY
“Quaint Tavern Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2014

If you are staying at the Homestead, I recommend walking over to Sam Snead's for a great experience. Ask to sit by the fireplace as we did and take time to look at the memorabilia along the walls. Begin with the Pimms cocktail. The pub fare was fun and adequately prepared. I had the chicken pot pie which I enjoyed and our table shared a variety of desserts. Overall, a terrific evening.

• Visited November 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Richmond, United States
“Just okay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

Cute tavern for golf lovers' memorabilia. Very nice waitress, Kelly; however, the food was disappointing. Fish and chips were very bland and greasy, and the dollop of coleslaw was terrible unless you like horseradish and raisins. The bleu cheese stuffed meatloaf should have been named nutmeg meatloaf as that is all I could taste. Where was the bleu cheese? We really wanted to like this restaurant, but we did notice a lot of food left on patrons' plates.

• Visited January 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
South Carolina
“SO YUMMY”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

I loved this restaurant! They service was great and we felt at home! I loved all the old artifacts on the walls. The blue cheese meatloaf if TO DIE FOR. It was very yummy and worth EVERY calorie! I also enjoyed the salmon another night I went there. This is a very fun and well run place!

Visited January 2014
“Bring layers of clothing or ask to sit in the room with the fireplace.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013 via mobile

Planned our family christmas dinner way in advance and we were sat at a table next to the front door.

We ate our American pub faire (not Armenian as noted in trip advisor) literally with hats, coats, scarf and gloves.

I asked if we could move to the open tables near the fireplace in the back of the tavern and was told its cold everyplace since there is a stream under the location....

When I walked back to the room with the fireplace jackets and layers were not needed.

Food was ok pub food...although they missed our appetizer...

• Visited December 2013