“Closed. Dang.” 1 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Type: Golf courses, Outdoor Activities
Activities: Golfing
More attraction details
Owner description: Robert Trent Jones' trademark layout features runway tee boxes, wide-open fairways and strategically placed bunkers for a challenging game.
Virginia, United States
8 attraction reviews
“Closed. Dang.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

The closed the course this year. Apparently for financial reasons. It was a great course. Sad to see it gone...

Visited May 2013

Poughkeepsie, NY
17 attraction reviews
“I think they are closing it down”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

We did not play the Lower Cascades on our recent visit, in part because it closed around Labor Day, and we heard the closure was likely permanent -- the irrigation system, like the course, is 49 years old, and it needs about $1 million to be replaced.
Although I am sorry to see any golf course go, I think this is one of those Robert Trent Jones courses that really does not withstand the test of time. Too many holes (like the par 5 2nd) are replicas of holes on his other courses; and some holes (i, 10, 11 especially) just seem shoehorned in to awkward terrain. But some holes I'll miss. The par 5 seventh was just normal length, but the fairway (and green) curled around a pond, challenging you to go as far right (toward the green) as you dared (or thought you could go!). The par 3 fourth was about 180 yds downhill: just a beautiful view as you watch your shot fly across the sky, the mountains, and then (you hope) land on the green.
And I am sorry to see it go because I shot a 38 on the front nine, two over par, my best scoring time ever. (Don't ask about the post-lunch back 9 -- for public consumption, I've forgotten :-) )

Visited September 2012
Millersville, Maryland
4 attraction reviews
“Perfect course for me.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

I loved this course and I think it was because there was very little "stuff" for me to hit over. There were plenty of place to lose your ball, but I felt the fairways were wide enough the rough cut down enough for any level of player. There is only a small snack bar for hotedogs, pre-made sandwiches and drinks...my reason for the very good and not excellent.

Visited August 2012
Buckhannon, West Virginia
42 attraction reviews
“Basic Golf”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

Golf was okay, the greens were in rough shape and the sand was not sand at all, more like a rock garden.

Visited August 2012
Westport, Connecticut
61 attraction reviews
“Needs some work.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

This is a 1964 Robert Trent Jones Sr. layout that just does not get enough play. So they are cutting corners. The tees in particular are pretty shabby. Greens, fairways and rough are much better but not up to luxury resort standards. At the bottom of the recession they were closing this course part of the time. The layout itself is interesting with no two holes alike. We are Owner's club members so we are not subject to hotel greens fees.

Visited July 2012