“Beautiful Resort” 4 of 5 stars

Attraction Details
Churchville, Maryland
“Beautiful Resort”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

We had a wondeful stay 8/8-8/11/13 while attending a Golf Chanel Am Tour regional tournament.
The Omni International folks took over a few months ago and have been making improvements since. There was a lot going on from family vaca's, weddings, lots of gofers and adventurers. My wife enjoyed the falconry and skeet shooting while I enjoyed the golf courses emensly. Be sure to book these early as they fill up. Most of the service we received was excellent. Ate in the Main dining room one night and enjoyed the food, service and music. Gilbert was a good waiter. The Casino (pro shop) restaurant was very good and a nice outdoor experience as they started the Bon fire for smoores later.
As for the incredible golf courses, you will have to read my reviews on those. Very different and an exceptional play. Worth the trip just for the golf.
This resort is not for the value shopper. Most things cost more than you think they should. You can't get a dollar Coke at Disney either. If you consider the beauty, history and opportunities for adventure it is a great getaway. Some areas did show their age but that is part of the experience.
Our room was nice and very comfortable and modern. Room service was excellent. This was what you would expect for an upscale resort. I would have given it 4.5 stars except for a couple of staff people that should be in a different field other than hospitality. The front desk check in clerk had no voice. HELLO! Bad first impression. The large bag drop boy was melancholy and unhelpful. There are only 5,000 people in Bath County. They had to reach out to surrounding areas to get employees.
We did eat outside the resort a couple of times and had good reasonable food. Many people (especially families) brought coolers of drinks and snacks. A family of 5 could spend $200 a meal in the resort.
We both agreed on the beautiful drive home that we would like to return. I hope the AM Tour returns.

Visited August 2013

Durham,NC
6 attraction reviews
“a review”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

Can be relaxing. Ample activities . The restaurants need to improve in organization and quality. Also need to make the price a real value.

Elizabeth City, North Carolina
“on the way down”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

Went to the homestead for a few days. The Hotel and other buildings are in need of major repair the food is not good for the price most of the staff act like they are not happy working there every thing is just rundown and it is very $$$. The pool area is very nice but other than that I can't say much nice about it.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Horrible”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

Food sucks. Golf was not worth spending money. Pool was SMALL. You pretty much have to pay every amenities they have to be able to use it.

Visited July 2013
“Beautiful location, but needs updating”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

My husband booked a 25th anniversary vacation for us at The Homestead for June 17th-20th. The drive to it was beautiful with some winding roads and mountain views that were spectacular.
About the building: The Great Hall has lots of seating, however if your a non-smoker the smoke drifts out of the bar into the area near the bar, which is unpleasant. Some of the furniture in the Great Hall and other rooms needed to be cleaned. The front porch had plenty of seating. The hallway that we had to go down to get to our suite had paint peeling, there was a stain in our tub, and the light in our closet didn't work when we arrived. I would definitely recommend the historic tour that is given each morning. It was good. If possible I'd take the tour early in your stay so you find out about the different places to go and unwind.

About the food: We dined at almost every one of the Homestead's options. We liked every one of them. I think the view from Rubino's was fabulous, and the food was good as well. My husband did select a meal plan for us for dinner and for breakfast. We feel like it was worth it, especially for the formal dining in the evening. It was also nice not to have to worry about the cost as we ordered each meal.

About the staff: Everyone, I mean everyone that we dealt with was very nice, polite and did what the needed to make sure we were comfortable or got what we wanted or needed. Kudos to the staff!
About the activities: We took the 30 minute carriage ride, where the conversation with our driver was as enjoyable as the ride itself. We also took the two mile, 12 waterfall hike. We did the day after it had rained and it was a tad bit muddy in places, but not bad. The waterfalls are so worth the hike. Our guide was personable and knowledgeable. But our favorite thing by far was the falconry! We loved this! Our only problem was wishing we had pre-booked the level two in advance because it was booked and we couldn't get in on the next class. The lady who did the falconry class was very friendly and made it a lot of fun. I would recommend sunscreen for the class. We didn't get in the pools as we had rain one day we were there and activities on other days. I would definitely recommend booking your activities in advance when you make your reservations.

I would have rated this higher if it hadn't been for the resort needed to be updated.For the amount of money that we spent, (this is not a cheap place to stay), it should be spotless and gleaming in every nook and corner. I do understand that this is older than our nation, but it can still have clean furniture and paint that isn't peeling. Would I recommend going? Over all, yes. I'd go back simply due to the location and the staff.

Visited June 2013