“Great breakfast spot” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Richmond, Virginia
“Great breakfast spot”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013 via mobile

We go here often when staying in Hot Springs.
Great spot for breakfast. Good coffee, pancakes and very nice people.
It is pretty basic, but it is in the middle of nowhere. Cows right across the road. Good slice of the local culture!
Not sure I would take a run at it for a serious dinner, but breakfast definitely a thumbs up!

Visited October 2013

Raleigh, North Carolina
“Not a Bargain”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

We have been staying at The Homestead in Hot Springs, Va. After a disappointing dinner at Sam Sneads last evening and hearing poor reviews from other guests about the two high priced dining options at the resort, we turned to tripadvisor to try and find another choice for dinner tonight. This is a very small town so our options were limited. However, after reading the very positive reviews given to The Country Cafe in Hot Springs we thought we had found a winner! I can't explain how our dining experience was so different from most previous diners.
This restaurant is awful in all categories. I don't know how The Country Cafe passes a health department inspection. This place is DIRTY..... From the salad bar, (which was littered with food and never cleaned up during the time we were there.....the glass over the bar and the metal sides were disgustingly dirty), to the food lying on the floor, the dirty, broken window blinds,and dirty bathroom floors......the place looked like a perfect candidate for HGTV's, Restaurant Impossible.
The food was mediocre.....my country steak tasted like it was most likely frozen, then fried and covered in gravy. And the pies that many swear are homemade certainly looked like they were made with frozen pie crust . The case displaying whole pies was also dirty. Judging from the shelves that I looked at, I doubt that it had been cleaned recently.
The service was very slow......we waited more than thirty minutes for our food to be served. While waiting, we entertained ourselves watching someone from the kitchen bringing salad bowls back to the salad bar, one to three bowls at a time! I guess the idea of washing dishes in a dishwasher to sanitize them was not the objective here.
This restaurant deserves a very negative review. I found nothing positive to comment on, I can't imagine any circumstance that would bring me back.

• Visited October 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Richmond, VA
“Great greasy spoon!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

Country Cafe is one of very few dining options in Bath County. They have delicious pies and great greasy food, but the atmosphere is lacking. Their pricing is very fair though and they couldn't be any nicer!

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
New Bern, NC
“Country cooking at the County Cafe”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

I loved eating breakfast here. Good food served like you hoped it would be. Service is a bit slow, so have patience, it's worth it.

Visited August 2013
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Don't Judge A Book By It's Cover”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

I enjoyed my meal at this spot! I had the Salmon Florentine with a spinach artichoke sauce on my salmon and mashed potatoes on the side. It was great! My salmon was nice and juicey and the sauce added a nice flare to it. The mash potatoes were on point. I was not sure how my food would taste after noticing the kitchen from my seat. It looked like the restaurant used to be a house and the kitchen was still in it's original state. I wondered how they were cooking for a packed house but it turned out delicious.

• Visited August 2013