We enjoyed our stay at The Homestead.
In particular, we enjoyed the pool, the beautiful grounds, the attention to detail, and the activities (such as horseback riding, golf). We also were quite pleased with our room, and in particular the porch. The staff was attentive, the facilities unique and interesting, and of course the setting is second to none. The hotel itself is just gorgeous, but does tack a very fine line between historic and stodgy. The staff was quite nice and worked to be helpful, although many are not service industry veterans (don't expect Vegas-like service...). All activities are extremely expensive (this is why I cannot give the resort 4 out of 5 starts), but if you can stomach exhorbitant prices then you are in for a treat. All in all our stay was memorable -- we loved it.
Our only complaint, besides generally high prices, was the 1766 Grille, which severely underperformed. First, as far as beverages were concerned, there was no sommelier. We can live without a sommelier, but when the meal is as expensive as this one and the wine list 15+ pages, there must be a sommelier on staff, if for no other reason than to simply walk you through the choices. The gentleman that was considered the "wine guy" knew close to nothing about pairing wine with food, let alone the specific bottles they offer.
Second, as for the food, presentations were boring, soups were over-creamed and lacked taste, and meat was undercooked. All of the dishes lacked interest, and the staff did not explain in any detail what we were about to enjoy. All this for a meal that was well over $350. for two. The prices are just unbelievable considering the quality of food that we received. I have truly never complained in a restaurant, especially about a bill, but I was forced to at the 1766 Grille.
The good news is that your maitre d' was extremely helpful. He heard my concerns and comped a $40 service charge, an entree and our bottle of wine (I think he even agreed with my concerns). Needless to say, we were pleased. But it does not change the fact the the meal grossly underperformed.
Our room came with a complimentary breakfast in the main dining room. Surprisingly enough, the breakfast was an excellent buffet with all the basics plus pancake and omelette stations.
Besides 1766 Grille we enjoyed our visit. Everything, from horseback riding, to golf, to the pool facilities and driving range, was just great. My girlfriend said that spa was a real treat. But expect to pay though the nose for all of this.
All in all we enjoyed our visit, and will likely return some time in the near future (which, of course, depends on whether I can get another loan from the bank).
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Open since 1766, The Omni Homestead is one of America's most storied resorts, offering unparalleled hospitality and southern charm in a 2,000-acre setting within the Allegheny Mountains of southwestern Virginia. Renowned for its natural hot springs, The Homestead is distinguished by 483 luxurious guest rooms and suites, 72,000 square feet of meeting space, a wide array of fine and casual dining choices, an expansive spa, championship golf courses that include one of the nation's finest mountain courses (The Cascades), Allegheny Springs, a two-acre family-friendly water attraction complete with lazy river, water slides and water play zone. The resort also offers the South's first downhill ski area, an Equestrian Center, top-rated Shooting Club, archery, canoeing, falconry, Segway tours and a wealth of other recreational attractions. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotwire, Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets and Jetsetter so you can book your The Omni Homestead Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Homestead Hotel Hot Springs
- Homestead Hotel Hot Springs
- Homestead Va
- Homestead Hot Springs Virginia
- Homestead Hot Springs Va
- Homestead Resort Hot Springs