“Fabulous New Year's Weekend” 5 of 5 stars

Bed & Breakfast Package
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Hot Springs
GreenLeadersBronze level
USA
“Fabulous New Year's Weekend”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2010

My boyfriend and I went to the Homestead for a last-minute New Year's weekend getaway. We booked very last minute, got a great deal ($100 less than what we have been quoted the week before), and enjoyed a final bit of holiday cheer. The resort was still decked out for the holidays, fireplaces were going in the Great Hall, snow was falling and along with the excellent staff and southern hospitality, it was a magical time and great to start 2010.

We are frequent travelers with high standards and were not disappointed with any aspect of our stay. A couple of areas that could stand improvement, but not show stoppers. 1) Indoor pool is a great option, but it needs to be (more) heated during wintertime - brrrr!. If not possible, perhaps provide some additional heating in pool area or even hot drinks - cider? 2) Pool area needs some attention - was messy and understaffed - floor looks like it could use a touch-up. 3) Provide more options, especially on weekend nights, for later night dining. We enjoyed a casual dinner at the Casino, but we closed the place down at 9PM.

One final comment, as has been noted by others, it is easy to feel that you're being nickled & dimed for many things. I justified this in part that we didn't partake of any type of package that would've provided savings and also that this is a huge, historic site and must be expensive to run. Although we didn't partake of any packages, they do seem to offer some savings.

Overall, a wonderful experience and easy getaway from D.C. area. We've already booked a return trip for Valentine's Day!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (428)
Ashburn, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2010

We absolutely LOVED the Homestead. It has everything to offer to those that want to relax or be busy all of the time.My husband and I went to the Homestead to relax, have some great food, read some books, and we returned home VERY satisfied. The hotel and its staff were incredible - especially with the snowstorm that occurred while we were there - over 20 inches of snow!! The hotel managed to keep operating; and we had some of the best food and service ever - we travel quite a bit and I have to say that the food and service in 1766 were INCREDIBLE!!! The romance and tradition of the Dining Room (dancing, etc) were terrific too; and even the casual food in the Casino Club was very good. My only complaint was the heater in our room - very noisy. The bed was comfy, room clean, although the bathroom could use a new shower curtain and wall paper! We did get a REALLY terrific room rate - shop for a good rate as you WILL spend money on the food and amenities - but it's all worth it. Don't miss the tea in the Great Hall and visit the spa for some relaxation too! Nice gym also!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Alexandria, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2010

We spent 4 nights over Christmas at the Homestead. The resort is in a magnificent area and is truly grand. From the Grand Hall with a 21 ft beautifully decorated tree to the outdoor ice skating rink with a fire pit for roasting marshmallows...it was a perfect place to be for the holidays. We had a jr. suite with a connecting preferred resort room to acommodate 5 of us. It was a perfect setup...right down to the decorated Christmas tree in our living room!
The biggest plus for the resort is the service...people were great and everyone seemed happy to be there. The biggest negative is the constant extra fees for everything! We took my 2 grandchildren (ages 4 and 11/2) bowling for 45 minutes and it cost over $50. The in room movies are ridiculously expensive...$14.50 with tax! Are you kidding me? The spa is very expensive (more than most resorts I've been to) and although the facial I had was good, it wasn't great. My daughter felt the same way about her facial and massage.
All in all we'd love to go back but not sure if we feel it's worth the dollars.
By the way...Santa is at the Homestead...and I mean the REAL Santa!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2009

What a fabulous trip! My family enjoyed the most wonderful experience at The Homestead. The rooms/bathrooms were large and very clean. The dining experiences (in DR and Sam Sneads) featured delicious food and lovely decor and the tubing was a blast. My husband and I had nice massages and we all enjoyed the indoor pool, bowling, & ice skating. The list goes on! We are already thinking about booking for next year!

I do have some minor criticisms:
* tile in pool area and steam room could use some attention, a bit mildewed
* concierge could do a better job assisting guests--we tried to make an appt for tubing and were told it was full. We took our chances and went anyway and found it wide open. This could also be the fault of guests who made appts without canceling.
* the staff could use some training in fine dining and wine. While there were many staff at dinner they had very ltd knowledge of menu and wine specifics.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
Reston, VA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2009

I went to The Homestead with my family for Thanksgiving in 1980 when I was a child - I remembered it as a beautiful, grand old place and always wanted to go back, so my husband & I decided to go there this year for a long weekend. We had a nice time, but like any hotel/inn, there are good & bad things. The hotel is beautiful and the food & service is great; however, everything is expensive and they constantly nickel & dime you. You have to pay a daily resort fee, but you also have to pay additional charges for any activities that you want to participate in (bowling, etc). They also cater too much towards the over-50 set - my husband & I thought we were going to die when we first walked around the place because they really blasted the heat for all of the elderly people. The food was good, but I would never recommend getting the meal plan as it's too expensive and it's just too much food. We just got bagels, etc at Martha's Market on the first & second mornings and we ate breakfast in the main dining room on the third morning - it cost us $60! We ate at Sam Snead's for dinner on the first night - it was very good, but expensive. We drove to Cucci's, a small informal Italian restaurant in Warm Springs, for dinner on the second night and we're glad we went - the pizza was excellent and our total bill was less than $30. We ate in the casual Player's Pub in the hotel on the third night - the French Dip sandwich was great and Seth, the bartender, was hilarious. I don't think we missed anything not eating in the main dining room at night. We enjoyed our weekend, but we spent a lot of money and I just don't think we'll go back to The Homestead.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2009

Visiting The Homestead the week before Thanksgiving was an experience of perfection.

Upon arriving at this gracious hotel set admidst fairytale-like beauty, we were immediately upgraded to a gorgeous room overlooking hundreds of Christmas twinkling lights and an ice rink. The decorations for the holiday season were spectacular,
including the 18 ft fresh, spruce Christmas tree in the lobby parlor.
The room was tastefully decorated (reminded me of visiting
your older, wealthy Aunt).

Relaxing in the grand lobby with the delicious afternoon tea harkened back to the days when life was glamorous and a lot less rushed.

The Jefferson pools were completely restorative and relieved all stress.
Equally special were all the meals which were prepared perfectly and the menus were varied for all age groups.
All amenities were designed for absolute rest and relaxation. The indoor pool
reminded one of visiting a European spa.
Every detail of this grand estate was fantastic right down to the muffins served in Martha's kitchen.
Visit as soon as you can. You deserve it and Enjoy!!
Thank you for a truly memorable holiday for us.

Erin Y.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Virginia Beach
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2009

What a beautiful hotel! My only complaint was getting a room next to an elevator...make sure to ask when you check in to make sure you are not near it, this is an old building and you can hear the elevator in the shaft, and the old school -ding- will drive you crazy!

Golf course was great
people were great
staff was friendly
food was great
resort fee was a bit much

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business

Been to The Omni Homestead Resort? Share your experiences!