My boyfriend and I went to the Homestead for a last-minute New Year's weekend getaway. We booked very last minute, got a great deal ($100 less than what we have been quoted the week before), and enjoyed a final bit of holiday cheer. The resort was still decked out for the holidays, fireplaces were going in the Great Hall, snow was falling and along with the excellent staff and southern hospitality, it was a magical time and great to start 2010.
We are frequent travelers with high standards and were not disappointed with any aspect of our stay. A couple of areas that could stand improvement, but not show stoppers. 1) Indoor pool is a great option, but it needs to be (more) heated during wintertime - brrrr!. If not possible, perhaps provide some additional heating in pool area or even hot drinks - cider? 2) Pool area needs some attention - was messy and understaffed - floor looks like it could use a touch-up. 3) Provide more options, especially on weekend nights, for later night dining. We enjoyed a casual dinner at the Casino, but we closed the place down at 9PM.
One final comment, as has been noted by others, it is easy to feel that you're being nickled & dimed for many things. I justified this in part that we didn't partake of any type of package that would've provided savings and also that this is a huge, historic site and must be expensive to run. Although we didn't partake of any packages, they do seem to offer some savings.
Overall, a wonderful experience and easy getaway from D.C. area. We've already booked a return trip for Valentine's Day!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Open since 1766, The Omni Homestead is one of America's most storied resorts, offering unparalleled hospitality and southern charm in a 2,000-acre setting within the Allegheny Mountains of southwestern Virginia. Renowned for its natural hot springs, The Homestead is distinguished by 483 luxurious guest rooms and suites, 72,000 square feet of meeting space, a wide array of fine and casual dining choices, an expansive spa, championship golf courses that include one of the nation's finest mountain courses (The Cascades), Allegheny Springs, a two-acre family-friendly water attraction complete with lazy river, water slides and water play zone. The resort also offers the South's first downhill ski area, an Equestrian Center, top-rated Shooting Club, archery, canoeing, falconry, Segway tours and a wealth of other recreational attractions. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets and Jetsetter so you can book your The Omni Homestead Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Homestead Hotel Hot Springs
- Homestead Hotel Hot Springs
- Homestead Va
- Homestead Hot Springs Virginia
- Homestead Hot Springs Va
- Homestead Resort Hot Springs