“Excellent stay” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Burke, Virginia
“Excellent stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2014

Really more of a 4.5 star experience. The pools were great, the mini golf was fun (and free because it was a little damp) and no wait for tennis. We were in an executive suite, which was more room than we needed (but great for the kids) and had a beautiful view. The staff was wonderful. I took off half a star because there are some maintenance issues that should be addressed (wall paper damage, elevator doors take forever to open in the tower) and the $10/day parking (even if you self park) is ridiculous. The resort fee bothered me less as we made good use out of the "included" activities. I can't imagine this being the case if we were here in winter instead, though.

Stayed July 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (414)
Elverson, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2014

The resort offers a beautiful setting with a good selection of restaurants and amenities.rooms are nicely appointed and lots of welcoming spots to sit and relax throughout the resort. The spa is excellent.Nice band in main dining room at dinner, and grand piano playing often in the lobby.
Some minor maintenance issues throughout, but overall a wonderful experience.Lots of great activities.Excellent staff.A very relaxing getaway.

• Stayed July 2014
Indianapolis, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2014

Let's start with the good. The hotel is beautiful, looks just as beautiful as it does online, if not more, as in person. I was so please with my suite (I stayed in the jr suite) it was a wonderful view and so nice and spacious on the inside. The activities are loads of fun, the spa is heaven, the staff are very friendly, helpful, and everywhere so you don't have to worry about getting lost. Now the bad, I had to wait 2 hours to get checked in which after the 7 hr drive there I was a little upset with but I brushed it off and toured the facility which is huge. Once I got in my room I was so delighted and they gave us some sweets to apologize for our wait. Then I went to the main dining room and the food was pretty damned mediocre. I ordered the lobster bisque which was great and it came with a cumber and tomato salad which was laden with red onion, no one warned us of that, so we simply sent it back and waited for our entree. I ordered the shrimp and scallops and they were very salty and had, what looked to be, leftover burnt food from the surface not being cleaned properly and my guest had the lamb which was very fatty and he did not enjoy the sausage at all, he said it was over spiced. We told our waiter and he said he would only charge us for the wine. At check out I find out that the a separate bill was charged to my room with the food on it without my knowledge or consent. I was very upset about that. Then the next day our room did not get cleaned until 10:30pm when we had seen the housekeeper on our floor around 1. And then I ordered from room service that night and they sent me the wrong food and drink and when the right food came it was not even good. I ordered the sausage rigatoni and it tasted like ground beef. On the departure day I called for a bellman to load my car, gave him my ticket and went down to the spa. When it came time for me to leave my car was not loaded and the bellman told me he did not receive my car ticket, when I'm for sure I gave it to him and my guest was my witness. But I did not complain I just will not be staying here again. An to top it all off I got charged $885 and the billing department could not even tell me what I was being charged for. I could do nothing but shake my head and call my bank. Overall I would say stay here but don't eat here. And pay close attention to your bill.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Potomac, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2014

First, the resort charges unnecessary resort fee that doesn't cover anything including the amenities. We did archery, skeet shooting, sniper/long range shooting, and a hayride. Even including our all activity package, they limit the number of people to go to each, and the activity package cannot accommodate you for all activities; therefore, you end up for most of them.

Second, before it became OMNI hotel, the hotel staff had a liberty to up grade your room, since it became OMNI they wouldn't do it anymore. As their discretionary power is curtailed since it became a branded hotel. However, they had a very nice ice skating ring, although it is free as part of the package, but they charged you for skate rentals (really - then its not free) who brings their own skates.

The resort is nice - they have a very large fire place there. We were lucky and ended up with a great group of people that we met. One turned out to be a singer in a band and brought his guitar with him and we had a great evening sitting outside listening to him sing .

But their bar is amazing. You really become part of the history. There is no doubt that the resort is beautiful. The hayride was nice as they stopped at the landing of the skiing where the fireplace is located and we had toasted marshmallows there.

For the bowling ally there was a charge as well, then you wonder what is the resort fee for. They state that it is for the pool and the internet. Really, all other hotels provide that for free. We will NOT stay there again, it is REALLY NOT WORTH THE PRICE ANY MORE WITH THE RESORT FEE. Do not trust other websites such Living social and Groupon as they do not tell you that the resort will charge their own taxes based on the current rate, plus the resort fee. I think there are other better options out there. If the price is reasonable and the resort fee includes all activities that one wants to do, and not when the activity center states that they can only fit you for one activity - PARTICULARLY IS A WEEKDAY - then it is worth the price.

Room Tip: Try to get a balcony room. The hotel front desk used to be nice before it became OMNI when they wou...
Green Features: I wouldn't know and I don't want to read Omni Homestead Resort's environmentally friendly practices as trip advisor wouldn't let me post this until I put certain number of characters in it. It is requiring me to read the policy as I did not had enough characters in this section.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Rocky Mount, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

We stayed at the Homestead for the first time for our 25th wedding anniversary. All of the staff are so kind, always smiling and so eager to please. I felt like a princess. It was truly a fairytale experience. I wish to return for every anniversary now!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Omni Hotels & Resorts

HomesteadResort, Manager at The Omni Homestead Resort, responded to this review, August 1, 2014
Thank you for choosing our historic resort to spend such a special occasion. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back for many anniversaries to come!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

The Omni Homestead resort will put a heavy dent in your wallet, but it is a great experience. The inside and outside of the hotel are breath taking and the grounds rival those of Busch Gardens in Williamsburg, which is saying a lot. There are many activities to keep you busy all week, some of them are very relaxing while others are for the active. Prices for dining and shops are suited for the well to do. The room was very large and clean. Attention to detail on maintenance and cleanliness of the facility in general could be better and the Jefferson Springs "shacks" appear ready to collapse at any moment. Still, I do recommend this resort for special occasions as my overall experience was very positive. Remember to set aside a healthy budget for activities and dining. I recommend the unlimited activities package which will provide a wide array of activities and will also save you $35/person/day to eat breakfast in the main dining room.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Thank you for posting your review following you recent visit to The Omni Homestead. We are thrilled that you enjoyed our historic resort and grounds. Maintenance and cleanliness are top priorities and our new “Care Program” ensures each and every room is detailed and deep cleaned including furniture at least twice a year. We recently completed a $25 million renovation project of our historic resort and many exciting capital improvements are being planned for the near future. The Jefferson Pools are currently receiving some improvements in regard to painting and maintenance, and we are looking at a restoration program for these historic landmarks in the future. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back again.
Augusta, GA, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

I had a conference at the Homestead and had styed there several times over the last 30 years and was pleasantly surprised to see that the standards have not changed since being taken over by the Omni Group. The staff was friendly and helpful , the food was very good and the sports facilities excellent. Will stay again.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Omni Hotels & Resorts

Been to The Omni Homestead Resort? Share your experiences!