“Great spot with true Southern Charm” 4 of 5 stars

The Omni Homestead Resort
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   7696 Sam Snead Highway, Hot Springs, VA 24445   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
12% Off! Book Now & Save.
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Hot Springs
GreenLeadersBronze level
Miami Beach, United States
“Great spot with true Southern Charm”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

Although I had some relatively minor issues upon late arrival, there was no denying the grandeur and beauty of both the property and the area. The breakfast buffet was huge and good if not great. The staff was filled with folks eager to please and exhibiting plenty of southern hospitality. A good to very good spa. Very nice place to spend a lot more time than I allotted.

Review collected in partnership with Omni Hotels & Resorts

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (459)
Sanford, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

My husband and I wanted a place we had never visited before for our anniversary get away and when we saw the Groupon offer for a stay at the Omni Homestead, we thought it would be perfect. We were not disappointed. Check-in was fast and easy and our Bellman, Dennis, was friendly and gave us lots of information in a short amount of time. Our room was clean and the bed was comfortable. We checked in before the afternoon tea, so that was a good way to start our stay. I had a cup of hot green tea, pimento cheese sandwich and the best blueberry scone. A fun way to relax a bit after our drive from NC. We explored the property after tea and decided to enjoy the hot tub at the main pool area before dinner. It was wonderful. We enjoyed dinner in our room and had a good night's rest. We started our day in the fitness area the next morning. Great equipment. My husband and I both got in a good work out. They offer classes too which I thought were reasonable in price, but our schedule did not match when they were being taught. We were anxious to get to the SPA. I would have liked to have booked a massage, but they were a little too expensive for my taste so we opted for the day spa option. We spent our day enjoying the sauna, steam room, special showers and lounging by the spa pool, hot tub and hot spring. The cost of this was $55 (less during the week) per person. It was a good value, especially when we found out the service had been comped for us. We mentioned to the staff that it was our anniversary. This was unexpected and so appreciated. We enjoyed our dinner (great trout) in the main dinning room. Staff was over and aboard accommodating and friendly. And the complimentary anniversary proseco was a great touch. We loved staying here and would recommend it to anyone looking to stay at a property with lots of charm, history and a staff willing to please.

Leesburg, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

We decided to get away for the weekend and two days later were at the Homestead Resort. We had a great time and will be back. We took golf lessons, enjoyed the spa, loved the food, and the atmosphere. We don't have children yet, but would definitely bring kids here -- it's very family friendly. The staff were wonderful - everyone was so nice and helpful. Only issues were small, but should be fixed by management. First, the bathroom lighting was awful. Worst ever. Second, I had an allergic reaction to the down pillows and spent all weekend with red, itchy, puffy eyes. Otherwise, we had a great time and will be back again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Charlottesville, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

We spent a beautiful 3 nights at the Homestead this week. I read several negative reviews and was worried that maybe things had really changed for the worse. My wife and I were pleasantly surprised about almost everything we saw and did during our stay.
I have been to the Homestead almost 20 times in the last 40 years. All my children have the fondest memories of the place. There was a lot to live up to this week and expectations were met.
Checking into the Homestead is awesome. The bellmen, the great hall, the front desk, the whole process sets the stage for our visit.
I think the rooms are wonderfully dated. Don't get me wrong. The room matters. Bigger rooms with nicer views are better. And the suites can be unbelievable. I guess I would say, don't skimp and ask for a good room. The mini fridge and flat screen with movies on demand are great (recent?) additions.
The meals were very good. The service is better in the dining room but we had very good meals in the Jefferson and the Casino as well. It can be pricy but really not so bad. In the morning we had coffee and something small from our mini fridge or Martha's market and skipped the breakfast buffet.
The pool at Allegheny Springs is the newest addition to the great free things you can do at the Homestead. Add it to the hiking trails, great hall tea, library, indoor pool, fitness center and walking the grounds. You don't have to be doing an activity every minute to enjoy the resort. The landscaping and flowers we saw in May were beautiful. Worth a day on their own.
We did do the Gorge hike and spent a day in the spa. If you get one 50 minute spa treatment you get a full day pass to the spa. That is well worth it. The adult only pool, hot tub, hot spring, lounges and spa amenities are all enough to make it worth your while.
Room service was great, turn down great, bellmen great, front desk and concierge great. I think the attitude now is like Disney in that they want every employee to make every visitor feel very welcome. I can't wait to go back in August.

Room Tip: Old part of the hotel, higher rooms, casino views, suites or even better tower suites if you can get...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
HomesteadResort, Manager at The Omni Homestead Resort, responded to this review, June 2, 2014
Thank you for giving us the opportunity to welcome you back home! We are excited when we hear from our long-time repeat guests as your opinions are invaluable to us. We appreciate all the accolades and can’t wait to see you again in August. If there is anything we may do to help make your stay more comfortable and enjoyable, please feel free to let me know (540-839-7570).
Leslie Tune
Resort Manager
Chesterfield, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2014

Our family stayed over Memorial Day weekend. The hotel itself is beautiful. I love old hotels- they all remind me of the Dirty Dancing Resort and The Shining. If ever there was a place where you could imagine a small boy on a big wheel racing around the hotel's catacombs saying 'redrum', this is it. I'd guess you could have 1,000 people playing hide and seek in the hotel and never find 1/3 of them and I'm not even using the rooms themselves as hiding places. Ok, on to the review. The grounds and hotel are immaculate. Just beautiful. Very family friendly. Just know that everything you do will cost you. Mini-golf for 4 (about $40). We stayed at the lazy river pool most days. Service was okay. Poor teenager who I frankly, just felt bad for, was so discombobulated that I almost wanted to help him out. We asked for our check around 3pm b/c we KNEW we wouldn't get it until 4pm and sure enough, we were spot on with our timing. We were fine with it- just felt bad for the kid. To help the pool areas, it'd really be better for the servers and the guests if they could type orders in electronically and they get fed to the bar/restaurant to start making asap. It'd also be helpful to have some towel baskets for both new towels and used towels in the pool area by the lazy river. Those are the critiques. Other than that, the duck races and lazy river and slides were lots of fun. We even enjoyed seeing some guy exercising in his cabana with rubber bands and a foam roller. That guy provided us with a good 1/2 hour of laughs. Love people watching. We wanted a place to relax for the weekend and not rush here and rush there. Homestead is a good choice for this. They do have a lot of options on property. Kids and hubby hit the driving range. Daughter and I also hit the spa. Stopped in the theater room and the arcade area for some fun too. Note: they have a kids spa, but the main part of the spa is for 18+. The spa is brand new and just beautiful. My service started 10 minutes late, but Jessica, who did my pedicure is awesome. She's been there 18 yrs, could answer any question I could dream of about the resort and if someone at the Homestead actually reads this, give her a raise. She's that good. Pedicure was $80 inc. tip. My daughter (age 7) sat beside me and got her toes done too (another $60). Expensive, but I got use of the spa because of it so that was good. The adult spa (used to be a Canyon Ranch spa- per Jessica) is lovely. They put a cap on the number of people using the pool area, which is a good thing. There's a mineral pool, a chlorinated 'infinity type' pool, hot tub, reflexology walk (basically a warm hot spring walkway with various stones embedded in the floor). The women's spa has areas I've never heard of or seen. A chill room, where little breezes blow, a cool mist descends from the ceiling and a bowl fills with ice chips to "splash on your face". Eucalyptus steam room. Dry tiled hot room. Aromotherapy shower that changes colors and has lightning/thunder sound effects. That said, I wasn't super relaxed b/c I spent most of the time hopping from this thing to that to 'experience' it all and get back to my family. You can also pay for a day rate without having to get a spa service. The room. We chose a room in the tower that had a little more room, but no view. We were on the 15th floor. The room had 2 double beds. Honestly, there was tons of room to increase the bed size to queens or kings and the pillows were not good. Other than that though, the room was pretty, loved the bathroom b/c it had actual tile/marble and not a typical hotel bathroom. Turn down service was great. The first night they dropped off milk and cookies which I'm sure was for our children, but since they had dessert at the restaurant, we took the cookies :) Dining- this is the worst part of the resort. Breakfast is good (buffet breakfast in the main dining room), but on our last day they were overloaded and couldn't keep up with demand so lots of things were out (butter was missing for waffles, strawberry toppings for waffles, etc...) But this was the best part of dining. We ate at Casino in the bar and while the bartender was nice, he was inattentive. We were out of water, had to ask for the check once we found him, long waits, etc... And the food is diner quality. If you put it in front of me with a diner on the side of the road or a Ruby Tuesday type place, I seriously doubt I'd be able to pick out one as better than the other. Jefferson had better food than Casino, but not great. I got the Salmon with brocollini and potatoes, but when it came out, the brocollini was so overcooked it was black and almost looked like wilted spinach. And I like my veggies cooked (I'm southern), but not dead. And the 'mashed potatoes' looked like pureed baby food swimming in butter. I tried a cocktail, but it was too sweet so I apologized for my Goldilocks behavior (not too sweet) and ordered a Cosmo. Problem is... whenever I complain about something being too sweet, the bartenders always overcompensate by just making it too strong. So, true to form, the Cosmo was straight vodka with a tint of coloring. I couldn't drink it. But didn't complain because I'd already complained about the first drink. The server was nice. And overall we paid around $200, but it wasn't worth it. My husband sat at the Jefferson in the afternoon for drinks to watch a soccer game and at that point, he saw a server once, and spent the rest of the time going up to the bar himself to get his own drinks and check. Finally, we partook in the Mem Day Cookout. $200 for 2 adults, 2 kids and we had burgers/hot dogs/ sides and dessert. And sodas. Definitely not worth it. $100 sure. Not $200. Oh- check in was super great- very friendly staff from the valet and bellhops to the front desk giving my kids welcome bags and such. So, I understand that the Homestead is traditionally a blue-blood resort where money doesn't matter, but it does matter to us. And fine with paying money so long as the value is worth it. My overall opinion is this: We would love to return here and most likely will, but to avoid the critiques, we will probably go 'into town' for dinners or frankly, just order a pizza. It'd save us about $1,000+ on the dining front for better food. But the resort itself, is fantastic and I don't want to take away from its beauty by criticizing the food.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Omni Hotels & Resorts

Thank you for your candid review. It is good to know that you enjoyed your stay at our historic resort and our many activities including the new pool and renovated Spa. Please, however, accept my sincere apology for not meeting all your culinary expectations. We pride ourselves in providing a high quality product and experience within our Food and Beverage outlets. However, sometimes we fall short of the mark and we learn from our mistakes and will use your comments as a training tool. I can assure you that we have taken steps to prevent a recurrence of the type you experienced and hope that you will come back in the future and try us again. As a matter of fact, we are revamping our menus for the summer with new and exciting offerings. Please contact our Food and Beverage Department directly when you visit again and we will personally assist you with dining options.
Gregory Barnhill
Executive Chef
Rockville, MD, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2014

There is no place we would rather be on Memorial Day Weekend than The Homestead. The beautiful rooms, the incredible pool facility, the tennis, golf, horseback riding, hayrides, paintball, cookout and fireworks, hiking, spa - I could go on and on. The breakfasts are beyond compare - and a very special aspect to The Homestead is how many of the staff have been there year after year so we know who and what to expect. And the actually seem to remember guests from previous visits. Our grandkids would honestly be happy just running around the grounds and rolling down the grassy hills, but thankfully there are MANY more options for them! It's a very special place and a very special tradition for us. We love it!!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family

Arlington, VA, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2014

Overall the hotel was very nice, but the staff and activities really make it a great experience! The rooms have almost a cottage feel which is great for the location in the mountains. Some of the activities are a bit pricey, but that was expected on the trip.

Review collected in partnership with Omni Hotels & Resorts

Been to The Omni Homestead Resort? Share your experiences!