“MOST WONDERFUL WINTER WONDERLAND SKI RESORT” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Hot Springs
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersBronze level
Hollywood, Florida
“MOST WONDERFUL WINTER WONDERLAND SKI RESORT”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2014

This resort is the by far the most wonderful ski resort we have ever stayed. It was stunningly beautiful! The staff of the resort is top notch. Everyone was extremely friendly, pleasant and helpful. I can't rave enough! There is so much to do. Every part of the hotel had some kind of entertainment for all ages, there was warm comfy seating in every nook and cranny of this beautiful resort. We will be making an annual ski vacation to this marvel for years and years to come. My daughter said it is in the top 3 vacations of all time!!! Love it here!

Review collected in partnership with Omni Hotels & Resorts

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (438)
United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2014

Pros: - The drive up to this resort was simply beautiful. - The resort exterior and its grounds are beautiful. - Shonda (Night Shift front desk); Vivian (Manager); Frank (Security) were sincere in trying to help our situation - "Country Cafe" restaurant located about a mile up the road from the resort is a good eat and easier on the wallet! Cons: - Prescription pills found strewn in my room - Understaffed ski personnel - Different restaurants but similar menus - "The Shining" reminiscent looking hallways (outdated decor) - Reservations needed for EVERYTHING - Automatic resort fee on top of taxes, room rate and anything else that you do!? - Pricey for what you get - Loud ambient noise from the courtyard where their massive ventilation system is. Made it difficult to sleep. Details: My family and I arrived for a one night stay over the MLK holiday. We arrived at 0930am and was told that our room was not ready. This didn't bother me too much as we wanted to ski. I asked the front staff if they could call me on my cell when it was ready. They agreed and took my number. That was the extent of my conversation with the front desk. I found out later that they should have briefed us to the schedules that everything revolves around and were to give us an activities/schedule pamphlet. As we were uninformed, no dinner reservations were made. The skiing operation is a joke! Don't get me wrong, the facilities are great but the people running it are in way over their heads! Omni needs to either hire more staff or better train and utilize what they have on hand. I had a 1pm ski lesson with the family and arrive at 12pm, as instructed. We should not have had to wait in line until 2pm to get our gear. ESPECIALLY when there were more than enough people to handle the work load in the form of the ski instructors that were hanging out in their little room for everyone in line to see as they relaxed and texted and otherwise joked around. I understand they are the instructors, but what they need to understand is that they need people to instruct and therefor earn their pay. They could have very easily helped with equipment turn-in, sanitation and re-stocking/re-racking the equipment. But instead what everyone endured was having to watch the ski-issuing team fail miserably at trying to keep up, Lystol being sprayed into ski boots and reissued before they were dry, and ski boots, skis, poles and other issued equipment being haphazardly thrown into a corner to eventually be reissued... It was a complete mess. When we finally returned to the resort, I gathered my room keys and made our way to our room. If the resort was going for the preserved look... they nailed it! But i can't help but draw comparisons of the hallway to those found in the hotel featured in the movie, "The Shining"! But i digress... The room seemed clean. After all, why wouldn't it be? They kept us out until it was. Unfortunately my son found some kind of prescription pills on the floor; around his bed and the vent in the bathroom looks as though it had never been cleaned. I brought the pills down tot the front desk and made contact with "Shonda". She was very nice and sympathetic. We told Shonda about the pills and let her know, everyone was okay. We also told her about how cold our room was. She was quick to get a maintenance guy up there. I only which we could have been told about the climate controls hidden on the wall behind a lamp shade... problem would have been solved . I began to look around for dinner while the rest of the family got ready. I went to the concierge and got information. Still no one told us meals are by reservation. Everywhere we went, we heard the same. What upset me the most was how some of the restaurant staff suggested we pull up to the bar WITH OUR KIDS and order a meal. Yeah... they did. And No... we didn't. By this time, I had went back to Shonda to let her know what was going on and to see if we had any other options. At that time, "Vivian" (I believe her name was), the manager appeared with Frank (Security). This was in regard to the pills found in the room. Vivian was great! She Apologized for everything as I unloaded on here the troubles of this trip. She offered to get the kids food right away, which she did. Herself. She also offered anything we (the adults) wanted as room service and that it would be delivered in about 15 minutes. Again, Vivian was great. After a long day on the slopes and in the cold, all we wanted to do was eat and get some rest. But in the end, the food we ordered arrived almost an hour later and we were charged almost $100 for the service. In the morning, we settled the bill and had the room service removed. I was surprised to learn that no one knew about the issues we had and how only a very brief one liner appeared in their computer about the room service. Omni, get your act together. This place has so much potential. As an active duty soldier, father and husband, I wanted to have a nice time with my family after being deployed and having to move yet again. Thanks for spoiling that opportunity for me and charging me a "better rate" in the end.

Review collected in partnership with Omni Hotels & Resorts

HomesteadResort, Manager at The Omni Homestead Resort, responded to this review, February 18, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write your candid review. Please accept our renewed apology for the inconvenience you experienced during your stay. We do appreciate your kind comments regarding several of our associates. We are proud of our team of employees who work hard each and every day to meet the needs of our guests and ensure many enjoyable visits. We remain committed to the ongoing training of our staff and to improving our historic resort with capital projects that are being planned. Thank you also for speaking with our Front Office Manager, Leona Forbes, when she reached out to you regarding your situation. As Leona mentioned, we would welcome the opportunity to regain your goodwill and confidence and hope you will give us another chance. Should you wish to contact me regarding a future visit, I may be reached at 540-839-7570. I assure you you will have a most enjoyable stay.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2014

I have stayed at this resort every year since 1985. it has been through some recent changes in ownership and I am very disappointed. Our daughter was even married here and today I would be scared to even suggest it to a bride. Our first room was the tiniest of the bunch with furniture that was so scratched I felt like I was in a motel 6. I was upgraded upon request to a lovely room with great view. Food at the new Jefferson room was delicious and very good service. Compare that to the main dining room where we sat tonight for 1 1/2 hrs after placing order with nothing until we complained to maitre de. Several tables received such poor service. I was looking forward to the new spa and found out Canyon Ranch does not operate it. The color palate was underwhelming. rooms are better for treatments for sure. The rug in the ladies dressing room is lifting up in so many places.. Walker beware. Loved the new stone heated lounge chairs and the moving waterfall scene.. Easy to fall asleep. The experiential shower is gimmicky with flashing lightening and water surges at various speeds and temperatures. I saw people look at it but no one went in....A lot of money and space when more of those heated stone loungers would be better. I am afraid to see what happens at the big banquet dinner tomorrow night. the emphasis has shifted from the romantic time of bygone era to family friendly. in bringing prices down some things have
suffered. Granted it is a wind chill of -11 but when you have to sit in long johns and your coat just to walk down the hallways.....I dashed madly as quick as I could run between events
." best place to stay is in your room.

Room Tip: Ask for a change if there is good reason
Green Features: There is a card to explain the practices plus the reason they have chosen the products
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for writing your review of your recent trip. It is always good to hear from our repeat guests as your opinions are very valuable to us. We regret that you have mixed feelings regarding your stay as our goal is to exceed all of our guests’ expectations each and every time. We hope that you will return again soon so we may regain your goodwill and confidence. Please feel free to contact me directly so I may take care of your arrangements (540-839-7570).

Williamsburg, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2014

We stayed from Friday thru Monday on MLK weekend and the resort itself is gorgeous. We were in the main building and Omni has done an excellent job of restoring this grande dame. The staff was outstanding and the common areas were pristine. The spa area is worth paying for-- we did not splurge on any spa treatments (can get that done right here in Williamsburg) but did pay the extra $30 for access to the spa areas. There were a LOT of young children running around and this took away from the fun- hence our opting for the spa area which is adult only. I do wish the hotel would enforce the no children under 6 in the hot tub rule. Sunday afternoon the hot tub was filled with three and four year olds playing and splashing and screaming (the parents were oblivious and ignored the posted age limit signs).
The only complaint I have is with regards to the food. It is horrible. I mean really, really badddddd. If Omni can get that portion of things under control this will be Heaven on earth.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for visiting The Homestead over the busy holiday weekend. We are happy to have two outdoor pool areas to offer our guests, the family pool with whirlpool and the adult-only Spa Garden sanctuary with pool, river reflexology, the natural mineral springs, and whirlpool. Your comments regarding the food have been shared with our Culinary Team who joins me in expressing our disappointment we did not meet your expectations. If you would care to share the particulars with me, please give me a call at 540-839-7570 as we would welcome the opportunity to know more so we may make improvements. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2014

We enjoyed the unique historic charm of this hotel. It has lovely architecture and ambiance throughout. The main dining room dinner food quality was very good but very expensive. You also get the unique classic experience of live music and dancing with dinner in the beautiful ballroom. Both couples and families with kids enjoyed the dancing on the weekend we were there! The price of the main dining dinner is prohibitive though. It seems you really pay for the ambiance! Breakfast at the Main dining room was just OK for food quality and, again, a bit too expensive, even as resort food rates go. The range of activities offered at the hotel was good for the whole family. We enjoyed the convenient skiing, but the ski lodge needs some major upgrades - the only bathrooms are located up a flight of stairs on the second floor! The service levels at this hotel were varied. Some staff members were just great, others were not particularly helpful or informed. Overall, we enjoyed a nice vacation but there is room for improvement in several areas.

USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2014

I visited The Homestead last weekend , bringing two girlfriends with me for a ladies’ spa weekend who have never been to the Resort before. We arrived late Friday and had an 8:00 reservation in the Casino for dinner. I have eaten lunch and dinner at the Casino/Canyon Ranch Café several times in the past as I’m a regular guest at the Resort. The quality of the food, beverage, service and atmosphere during this visit was awful; truly a failed experience. I had enjoyed dining there in the past, but this time I was very disappointed as we had just driven 4 hours in the rain and were hungry and looking forward to a good meal. The beverage selection was limited; there was no quality beer on tap, and the food was literally rotten. I was so embarrassed to introduce my friends to The Homestead this way. Additionally, there was extremely loud noise like construction coming from the kitchen as we concluded our meal.

We ordered a flatbread and the Southern Style Shrimp & Ham starters. The shrimp appetizer contained rotten shrimp that reeked. We thought perhaps anchovies were used in the dish and tasted a small amount to find that wasn’t the case. It was rotten. We notified our waitress who returned the order and removed it from our bill. However, nothing more was said about it, no apology, nothing from the manager. We also had starter salads that were wilted with tomatoes that looked half rotten so that we had to pick them out. The Roast Pork Tenderloin entrée and two turkey burgers entrees were all undercooked, over-sauced, and the pork was way too sweet. The pork is not a well-executed dish and should be revised on such a limited menu. Something as simple as a turkey burger was also not prepared well and laden with oily, fatty sauces. I asked for some lettuce on the side to add to my burger and what was brought to me was clearly old, limp, and not the slightest bit fresh. Unfortunately, the “red carpet” I hope to roll out for my friends during our first evening ended with all of us experiencing heartburn and upset stomachs due to the very poor quality of the food and preparation. It was truly mediocre.

I hoped things would improve Saturday morning at the breakfast buffet, but honestly I was underwhelmed. Again, the produce (fruit) selections were not fresh and many of the hot entrée items such as hashbrowns and biscuits were either stale, lukewarm and not fresh. Honestly, the best meal we had at The Homestead was at Martha’s Market when we ordered biscuit sandwiches to go on Sunday morning. I have never gone to The Homestead for the food, but I hope that in the future, I will not stay away from The Homestead because of the food. In my humble opinion, some serious resources are needed to upgrade and modernize this element of the Resort. The menus seem old fashioned, outdated and unappetizing, not to mention executed in a subpar fashion. More fresh, healthy, low-fat, low carb options are needed on all menus throughout the day including late night: more fruits & veggies!

Overall, our visit was good but not great. I love The Homestead and stay regularly, 3-4 times per year for the last 6 years, and this was my worst experience ever. Besides the disaster of our dining experience at The Casino, overall the staff seemed a bit clueless, uninformed and slow on the return. It seemed like there were many kinks that needed to be worked out with frontline staff who deal with guests. Just being polite is not the same as being knowledgeable and being able to act quickly so a guest’s time is not wasted. We experienced issues in the Spa with no locker keys being available; thus, having to wait in the rain to get in and out to use the outdoor amenities; slow customer service; and erroneous billing while waiting dripping wait for corrections. I don’t see any evidence of the Canyon Ranch experience other than the name. My facial was not impressive and the technician didn’t seem particularly knowledgeable or adept with skincare.

Overall, it seems like The Homestead is going through some changes that are best waited out on the sidelines. I’m hopeful at my next visit, things will be better than ever, especially the food, spa and concierge services.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
HomesteadResort, Manager at The Omni Homestead Resort, responded to this review, January 24, 2014
Thank you for your candid review. We pride ourselves in providing a high quality product and experience within our Food and Beverage outlets. However, sometimes we fall short of the mark and we learn from our mistakes. I can assure you that we have taken steps to prevent a recurrence of the type you experienced and hope that you will come back in the future and try us again. Please contact our food and beverage department directly if you choose to visit again and we will personally assist you with dining options. Thank you again, and we do apologize for the inconvenience you experienced.
Gregory Barnhill
Chef
Wilmington NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2014

We had a wonderful 3 night stay from Sunday to Tuesday over Martin Luther King weekend. The room was beautiful (upgraded to a suite after the 1st night) and spacious for 2 adults and 2 children. We went skiing, ice skating, tubing, swimming in both heated pools, and played in the game room. It snowed 4-6 inches while we were there and the hotel took great care to keep the roads and paths clear for its guests. My only complaint was that we were not provided the hotel newsletter upon check in, and only saw it 2 days later and we had already missed several events - family bingo night, movie night, etc. So, make sure you get the newsletter with the weekly schedule/offerings when you check in.

Review collected in partnership with Omni Hotels & Resorts

Been to The Omni Homestead Resort? Share your experiences!