“Relaxing Getaway” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Relaxing Getaway”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014

My husband and I spent a wonderful weekend at the Homestead. The weather was cold and rainy, but the resort was warm and cheery with fires in the Great Hall. It was the perfect place for a post-holiday getaway.

Review collected in partnership with Omni Hotels & Resorts

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (414)
Hollywood, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014

The place was huge. Our group of 4 people split the costs for a ski resort. It was an awesome place. We went to snowboard. For snowboarding purposes the slopes were not that great if your an experienced snowboarder. The lift is extremely slow. For new beginners the slopes would be ideal and very family friendly. Over-all stay was an awesome experience though.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends

Lower Gwynedd, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

The hotel is absolutely spectacular, but that's it! They take you for every penny and the pennies they charge are many. EVERYTHING IS EXTREMELY EXPENSIVE. $27 for a brunch that was mediocre. Food was mediocre. and paying over $300 for a facial that did nothing..... Our room was great though.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Omni Hotels & Resorts

HomesteadResort, Manager at The Omni Homestead Resort, responded to this review, January 24, 2014
We are delighted you found our historic resort spectacular, but regret we did not meet your expectations of value during your visit. We do hope, however, that you will be able to return sometime in the future.
Williamsburg, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

Showing up on a frigid day in early January probably is not the best way to take advantage of this enduring Virginia institution, so our expectations were tethered a bit. Sure enough, it was a little like the resort in The Shining, sans Jack and his axe. Still, the room came with a view and was comfortable, though controlling the room temperature proved formidable. Breakfast was splendid and, all in all, we enjoyed ourselves. Omni has this place now and that may be a very good thing. It's nice to see The Homestead hanging in there.

Oakwood Village, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

Had a fantastic time at the hotel, the Jefferson restaurant has the most amazing short rib! The hotel is beautiful, one feels like they have gone back in time to a much grander slower time. So much to do, ones mind starts to wonder. The spa is well worth the money and the hot springs are amazing.

Roanoke, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

Wonderful Hotel. The food was great, not matter what restaurant you eat in. The service is over the top. Very friendly Hotel! Lots of activities for everyone. In two days, we ice skated, snowboarded, ate smores at the large bon fire. We relaxed at the Spa, Pool and Hot springs. The game was great for kids. They had bowling, basketball on other games inside a large room. The shopping was also great. Many stores to choose from.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family

Owensboro, KY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2014

I have had this review swirling in my mind since my visit this fall. I have always wanted to visit the Homestead, mostly because I am intrigued by the location and I love historic resorts. After reading many reviews, I was concerned about the trip, however, I had a great experience and would suggest knowing what you are booking before selecting this hotel. It is not the W, Las Vegas. If you want sleek, look elsewhere. It is charming and historic but not run down. Ask for a tower room as you will not be in a hallway with loud guests. We paid additional for this but the extra room was worthwhile.

The staff is mostly friendly, especially the valets. I only experienced one truly unhelpful person in the family area (bowling, video games). She kept complaining to us about some hockey game that she wanted to watch not being shown. And when I asked her if I could order food from Jefferson's Grill and not the kid fare on the menu, she told me to go ask them. Being that we were her only customers, I found it odd that she wouldn't have time to call them to inquire.

I attended a meeting while there and found the conference space to be fine. My children came with me and I enrolled them in the Kids Club. I specifically called to inquire about the experience as I did not want to bring them with me if they were only going to stay at the Club and watch TV. I was informed that they would be able to go to the stables to see the horses and explore the hotel. To my disappointment, they stayed at the dated kids club all day and watched TV, colored and did crafts from Oriental Trading while the attendants texted their friends all day. We have experienced Ritz Kids and were hoping to have a similar experience, but it was not. This was my biggest complaint about the resort.

The amenities were wonderful. OMNI is investing quite a bit in this property. The outdoor pool was a fun experience as was mini-golf. We even enjoyed playing checkers in the library, rocking on the front porch and listening to the piano player in the lobby. I love the old fashioned atmosphere and civilized nature of this place.

Food is expensive but not outrageous. I do recommend Sam Sneads and the Waterwheel off property. Jefferson's was a fun place to relax with colleagues and enjoy a cocktail. Their bartenders were fabulous. The offerings at the spa were not adequate in my opinion.

We have visited the Grove Park Inn since OMNI has renovated it and am hopeful that the Homestead receives the same treatment. I do hope to return someday and enjoy an even better visit!

Room Tip: Tower rooms are more spacious
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for attending a conference at The Homestead and for your comments which are very helpful. It is good to know that you had a great experience with a couple of exceptions. We regret you did not receive our legendary Southern hospitality in one of our restaurants and this will be addressed and corrected in training. Additionally, we are focusing on creating more engaging and fun programs in our KidsClub. We hope that you will return again in the future to experience a longer, more relaxing stay.

Been to The Omni Homestead Resort? Share your experiences!