“Don't give up on this gem” 4 of 5 stars

The Omni Homestead Resort
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   7696 Sam Snead Highway, Hot Springs, VA 24445   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
12% Off! Book Now & Save.
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Hot Springs
GreenLeadersBronze level
Owensboro, KY
“Don't give up on this gem”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2014

I have had this review swirling in my mind since my visit this fall. I have always wanted to visit the Homestead, mostly because I am intrigued by the location and I love historic resorts. After reading many reviews, I was concerned about the trip, however, I had a great experience and would suggest knowing what you are booking before selecting this hotel. It is not the W, Las Vegas. If you want sleek, look elsewhere. It is charming and historic but not run down. Ask for a tower room as you will not be in a hallway with loud guests. We paid additional for this but the extra room was worthwhile.

The staff is mostly friendly, especially the valets. I only experienced one truly unhelpful person in the family area (bowling, video games). She kept complaining to us about some hockey game that she wanted to watch not being shown. And when I asked her if I could order food from Jefferson's Grill and not the kid fare on the menu, she told me to go ask them. Being that we were her only customers, I found it odd that she wouldn't have time to call them to inquire.

I attended a meeting while there and found the conference space to be fine. My children came with me and I enrolled them in the Kids Club. I specifically called to inquire about the experience as I did not want to bring them with me if they were only going to stay at the Club and watch TV. I was informed that they would be able to go to the stables to see the horses and explore the hotel. To my disappointment, they stayed at the dated kids club all day and watched TV, colored and did crafts from Oriental Trading while the attendants texted their friends all day. We have experienced Ritz Kids and were hoping to have a similar experience, but it was not. This was my biggest complaint about the resort.

The amenities were wonderful. OMNI is investing quite a bit in this property. The outdoor pool was a fun experience as was mini-golf. We even enjoyed playing checkers in the library, rocking on the front porch and listening to the piano player in the lobby. I love the old fashioned atmosphere and civilized nature of this place.

Food is expensive but not outrageous. I do recommend Sam Sneads and the Waterwheel off property. Jefferson's was a fun place to relax with colleagues and enjoy a cocktail. Their bartenders were fabulous. The offerings at the spa were not adequate in my opinion.

We have visited the Grove Park Inn since OMNI has renovated it and am hopeful that the Homestead receives the same treatment. I do hope to return someday and enjoy an even better visit!

Room Tip: Tower rooms are more spacious
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank bluegrassmom3
HomesteadResort, Manager at The Omni Homestead Resort, responded to this review, January 24, 2014
Thank you for attending a conference at The Homestead and for your comments which are very helpful. It is good to know that you had a great experience with a couple of exceptions. We regret you did not receive our legendary Southern hospitality in one of our restaurants and this will be addressed and corrected in training. Additionally, we are focusing on creating more engaging and fun programs in our KidsClub. We hope that you will return again in the future to experience a longer, more relaxing stay.

Frederick, MD, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2014

A get away to The Homestead is like a step back in time and space, where elegant service, surroundings, and protocol were the order of the day. Lovely surroundings. Friendly and attentive staff. A plethora of activities. Simply: A delightful time.

Ashbrun, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014

The ski resort was not crowded. There were plenty of space and instructors available. Our instructor was very keen on teaching us to ski and both me and my wife were really satisfied with him. Our 9 year old son got an instructor who was really happy with.

Black Mountain, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014

We love to visit The Homestead in Hot Springs, VA. It's a great getaway...whether for a weekend or a week...there are lot's of activities. The Homestead is also a wonderful place to spoil yourself...from the staff making you feel like "royalty" to the wonderful spa! We have always been there on business but have learned to take time for ourselves and turn all business into some pleasure as well.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business

Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014

I have to start by saying that my family has loved The Homestead. We have been traveling there for 8 years. However, the past 2 years has been one issue after another. Very inconsistent with room, mattress comfort, food and staff. Some staff are such a delight others are very rude. The food has always been overpriced but good. Once again, the last two years terrible. Our last trip has confirmed that we need to take a break and try other resorts. I personally feel sad about this but tired of spending the money.

Room Tip: Mattress are hit or miss.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank NicoleSienna
HomesteadResort, Manager at The Omni Homestead Resort, responded to this review, January 13, 2014
Thank you for visiting The Homestead. It is always good to hear from our repeat guests as we value your opinion and take your feedback seriously. We will work with our team through better training to reinforce the level of service and product you have become accustomed to. We recently completed a $25 million renovation to our historic property, and exciting plans are being made for more restorations. We do hope that you will give us another chance in the future to show you a truly great Homestead experience and regain your goodwill and confidence. Please feel free to contact me directly at 540-839-7570.

Brent Glashan
Resort Manager
usa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014

We have stayed at the Homestead a number of times over the years and always look forward to our stay. The hotel has improved since Omni bought it from KSL. There were new double glazed windows in our room rather than the gappy old wooden windows, the heating worked well, and the furnishings were attractive. Some of the flooring in the main building have been replaced with beautiful cherry floors and the Jefferson restaurant has a gorgeous view from the floor to ceiling windows. Afternoon tea is back in the Great Hall and the beautiful library is still there. The new fitness center is the best of any hotel in which I've stayed. Almost all of the staff were friendly and helpful, especially the bartender in the Jefferson and the skeet shooting instructor.
But, although it's not as bad as a few years ago, there is still the sense that everywhere you turn, things cost more than is reasonable. The `resort fee',a creeping surcharge at large hotels these days, will cost you upwards of $30 a night at 15% of the room charge. The hotel web site shows you an a la carte menu under the `Sample Menu' but after we were seated it turned out that the only options for dinner in the main dining room were either a three course meal for $68 p.p. or a four course meal for $78 p.p. I did not need that much food. If you want more than a pastry in the lobby cafe for breakfast, it's $28 p.p. for breakfast in the dining room. The next night, the Jefferson restaurant was fully booked, so we had to sit at the bar to eat. Parts of the hotel, even some of the interior corridors, are chilly -- it's probably almost impossible to keep all parts of a huge old hotel warm in winter.
I have a fondness for this place but objectively, it's a four star and not a five star hotel. You should also be prepared for a bill that is significantly higher than whatever rate you get on the room.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room that has been modernized.
    • 2 of 5 stars
3 Thank dannykent
HomesteadResort, General Manager at The Omni Homestead Resort, responded to this review, January 14, 2014
Thank you for visiting The Homestead and for your kind comments regarding our improvements. We especially appreciate the views and opinions of our long-time guests. We do apologize, however, for the misunderstanding regarding the pricing for dinner in the Dining Room. A la carte pricing for dinner is available upon request. Also, to clarify the Daily Resort Charge, it includes high-speed wireless internet access in guest rooms and resort public areas, in-room coffee, USA Today Mon.-Fri., afternoon tea in the Great Hall, nightly movies, property shuttles to all resort recreational activities, access to our new state-of-the-art Fitness Center, tennis courts (seasonal), pools (indoor and our new year-round outdoor Allegheny Springs Pools), and gratuities for Housekeeping staff. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Warrenton, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014

Wonderful Experience! Beautiful accommodations, amenities are plentiful, staff is helpful and VERY friendly, rooms are to die for!! Highly recommend this resort! They have added many new amenities since our trip last year. Can't wait to come in the summer to take advantage of the water park.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business

Inn at Gristmill Square
Inn at Gristmill Square
#1 of 5 in Warm Springs
4.5 of 5 stars 160 reviews

Been to The Omni Homestead Resort? Share your experiences!