“I would give it 3.5 rating if I could” 4 of 5 stars

The Omni Homestead Resort
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   7696 Sam Snead Highway, Hot Springs, VA 24445   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
12% Off! Book Now & Save.
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Hot Springs
GreenLeadersBronze level
maryland
“I would give it 3.5 rating if I could”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013

We just returned from a trip of the Homestead in Hot Spring Va. This is a nice property, you get the old world feel of yesteryear which is part of its charm and also part of its problem. The property is grandiose and I am sure back in the day was the place to be. However, it feels a bit dated for the price that you pay to stay here. The staff was wonderful, the food was average, and the resort fees (of $25 a day) were a bit outrageous for what you get (use of the gym, an afternoon tea, swimming pool, and a few other things that would be free in a normal hotel). During our stay it was mostly multi generational families…kids, parents and grandparents it seems. There is not much to do on the resort property, and wandering into "town' serves no purpose, there is a liquor store, a subway, a restaurant and I believe a pharmacy and post office (not open on the weekends). If you want to take advantage of the "hot springs" pool its $25 a day. If you get a spa treatment its free. The afternoon tea was a nice touch.

There is a coffee shop that was pretty good, and there are many nooks and crannies within the hotel to relax and have quiet time. Overall it was a pretty average stay, with some overpriced amenities. For a hotel this size and of this stature they should provide bottled water in the rooms for free…there is my tip.
Would I go back, for the windy drive through the Allegheny mountains…probably not. I will opt for the Gaylord or somewhere else closer to civilization. I felt giving it three stars was a bit harsh because it is a lovely property, and four is probably too high…3.5 feels just right.

Room Tip: If want the afternoon tea…get there early to get a seat.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
HomesteadResort, Manager at The Omni Homestead Resort, responded to this review, January 21, 2014
We appreciate your candid feedback regarding your stay at The Homestead. We are disappointed to hear that some of your experiences did not meet your expectations. Guest feedback such as yours is a valuable training tool and we appreciate the opportunity to improve our guest experiences. We hope that you will return to The Homestead again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (497)
Charlotte, North Carolina, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013

The Homestead is a great resort that rivals its neighbor, the Greenbrier, just a few miles away. The resort was very attractively decorated for the Christmas Season with a spectacular tree in the mail salon. The restaurants have been remodeled and the food and service are top notch. Reasonable prices usually included in the nightly stay. One of the best ever breakfast buffets!
Service at the top of the field and the friendliness and courtesy of the entire staff is outstanding. Since we were at a meeting, the facilities were very good and the banquet was far better than the usual banquet dinner with a very well prepared and tasty prime rib. Weather was too damp to enjoy the outside facilities but love the golf courses when available - the Cascades closes for the winter, however! This is one of America's finest resorts!

Room Tip: Park at the top of the hill just above the entrance - your car is accessible and so far no charge...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your kind words and also for providing some great insight about our historic resort. We are pleased to hear how much you enjoyed your stay with us and it sounds like you got to experience many of the things that make The Homestead such a wonderful place to visit for a meeting. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013

The Homestead continues to take your breath away when you enter, especially during Christmas when the lights illuminate the front lawn. We just returned from a holiday weekend, and as usual, it was decorated very nicely, and the fireplaces are always a draw. It's unfortunate the fitness center has been moved to the basement (with no view), but the new spa is lovely. The food was better than anticipated; we are fairly picky about good food, and we enjoyed Jefferson's (for lunch), the Main Dining Room (breakfast and dinner) and room service. The experience was very good, but a couple of things need to be addressed. The heating/cooling system is the subject of chatter both in this online forum and in the physical hallways of the resort. You heard people in elevators/etc. complaining about rooms being too hot or too cold. We experienced the same thing which was frustrating. Also, the resort needs to work on facilitating activities even in (minor) inclement weather. We had scheduled a carriage ride during our stay, and the two inches of snow that had fallen overnight prompted them to cancel our event. Then while I didn't plan to go, I heard many people in the spa upset because the outdoor healing spring area was closed for "icy conditions." The weather just wasn't bad enough to close everything like this. When people are on a getaway, they want to experience the activities they have planned/anticipated, and the resort needs to invest the resources to make them happen barring extreme weather cases.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for choosing The Homestead to spend the holidays with your family. We are delighted that there are many aspects of your visit your enjoyed; however, we are sorry we did not meet all your expectations. The Homestead remains committed to providing first-class luxurious accommodations, excellent cuisine, the finest in Southern hospitality, and a wealth of safe indoor and outdoor activities. In 2013 The Homestead completed a $25 million restoration project and exciting plans are being made to continue that restoration in 2014. We hope you will return to The Homestead soon and if I may be of assistance with a reservation, please feel free to contact me personally at 540-839-7570.

Brent Glashan
Resort Manager
Hampton, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013

I attended a conference and had a great time! Although I was there on business, I still felt as though I was on vacation. The rooms are clean, quiet and the food is amazing! The staff is very friendly and willing to assist in any way.Although the drive was a little difficult since I was not use to driving through the mountains, once I arrived, the views were great and since it is around the holidays, the decorations were beautiful. I would recommend everyone to experience The Homestead at least once!

Roanoke, VA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2013

I've been coming to the Homestead for 15 years now, and it has recently seen some major changes. You'll notice that my rating is a 3. If I were rating the staff only, I'd give the place a 5+. There was not one individual there who did not go way above and beyond to help me, or just to speak and be cordial. That said, the hotel itself is showing its age and lack of proper upkeep. I'm hoping that Omni, that just purchased the property, will put the money in that is needed to bring it back to its previous functionality. The issues faced included the heat not working (although a workman came immediately and left me a space heater just in case), no hot water in the shower my first evening there (an offer to move me to another room from the receptionist), a broken elevator for most of one day (really a handicap for an older person having to go up and down a lot to meetings. The place doesn't have that many elevators, so the walk out of the way was extensive.) Also noted that upon my arrival, the room was very dusty. I wonder if it had not been used in a while. Everything was clean, but there was a significant layer of dust over everything. The cleaning staff were very accommodating.

For those who have been at the Homestead under previous ownership, some of the nice changes include coffee makers in the rooms (although the cashews and jelly beans are gone!), and a very nice new Canyon Ranch outdoor pool area. Too cold during my stay to enjoy that area, but it looks like it would be very nice in the summer. I heard they also put in a water park for the kids. Also, the fitness center has been moved into the old bowling alley space (no more bowling!).

Imagine I'll keep returning just to continue monitoring the changes!

Room Tip: I prefer the slightly larger rooms that accommodate a good sized desk and a love seat. Those on the...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on your most recent stay at our historic resort. We appreciate your patronage of our resort and, as always, it was a true pleasure to have you with us. We value our repeat guests’ opinion and view them as a way to improve the guest experience, and apologize for not meeting all your expectations. The Homestead’s multi-million dollar Next Chapter featured enhanced guest rooms and public areas as well as new dining options such as Jefferson’s, a new Lobby Bar, spa renovations, and “DownTime,” a family fun zone featuring mini bowling, billiards, air hockey, arcade games, etc. Our two-acre Allegheny Springs water complex, which includes water slides and a lazy river, is now our Winter Wonderland with a heated, spring-fed outdoor pool, heated deck, and ice-skating rink. We look forward to welcoming you back again in the future so that you may experience all of our new improvements.
Richmond, VA, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2013

this property never disappoints. As an Omni it continues a great tradition while making upgrades in facility and service. It is a favored location for an annual convention I attend because of its elegance, amenities and activities. Excellent dining venues, shops, fitness area and pool. Very festive for the holiday season. Afternoon tea and piano player a real plus.

Williamsburg, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2013

Excellent customer service all around and beautiful hotel. I was there for a business conference and all of the meals that were prepared for the conference participants were excellent. Food prepared on that large of a scale, usually is not very good and almost always cold but The Homestead did an excellent job of serving hot, quality food.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hot Springs
Hill Crest Bed & Breakfast
#1 of 4 in Clifton Forge
5.0 of 5 stars 14 reviews
Holiday Inn Express Covington

Been to The Omni Homestead Resort? Share your experiences!