“Beautiful Resort” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Johnson City, Tennessee
“Beautiful Resort”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

We have visited The Homestead for many years and have seen many changes. We always visited in March as part of Rotary District Conference. So we decided to visit in summer this year. The flowers all around the property were beautiful. Loved the new pool area, exercise room, putt putt, fire pit. Spa was beautiful Room was very nice, beds comfortable. Disappointed in afternoon tea which you now have to stand in line and serve yourself (used to be served to you). Also disappointed in breakfast buffet which has always been our favorite meal. Fruits were still excellent and varied but hot buffet was mediocre. Miss the blueberry, pecan pancakes that were my favorite and replaced with waffles. Loved the music in the main dining room and the ambiance, but the menu is now the same every day except for one entree of the day. Loved the old menu and looked forward to seeing what was "on for tonight" each day. Food was pretty good overall. Staff was very accomodating and I have no complaint about them. Disappointed that there was a charge to use the adult outdoor pool at the Spa. Enjoyed both golf courses as we dodged the rain! I hope the new owners will bring The Homestead back to all it can be and will certainly come back again. Overall a great experience and if you had not been coming for years, you probably would not have some of these comments.

Room Tip: We like the old part of the hotel - quaint. New part is just like any other nice hotel
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
HomesteadResort, General Manager at The Omni Homestead Resort, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
After visiting The Homestead for many years in March, we are delighted you decided to try us out in the beautiful summertime. Your helpful feedback will be shared with our team as the opinions of our long-time guests are very important to us. While numerous things have been upgraded and improved upon, we have maintained many traditions which make The Homestead so special. The Main Dining Room menu has been expanded to offer more selections along with the Chef’s Special each evening. Our two-acre family pool features a lazy river and water slides as well as a Kids’ Play Zone. There is a fee for the new adult-only pool that includes access to the Spa Garden which offers not only the year-round spring-fed pool, but River Reflexology Walk, naturally-pressurized deluge shower, Finnish Sauna and whirlpool, and geothermal octagon pool and cabanas. Also included is Aquavana, which is a series of four cabins that include experiential rains, steam room, herbal laconium and chill room. Access to the Spa Garden and Aquavana is complimentary with any 50-minute or longer SpaClub service. We look forward to welcoming you back again and again.

1,921 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (368)
Virginia Beach VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

We just returned from four nights at the Homestead, staying as guests at the Owner's Club and partaking of many of the resort's abundant activities. Our overall impression is that the hotel continues to be a wonderful retreat, offering a wide variety of first rate amenities, thoughtful service and a gorgeous property. We've stayed at the Homestead before in the winter season, so it was delightful to experience some of their fair weather options- archery, a hayride with s'mores, access to the new Canyon Ranch Spa facility, outdoor dining, trips to the Jefferson Pools, the list goes on and on. The guest services staff, from the concierge team to the shuttle drivers to the activity coordinators were so thoughtful. Polite. Kind. Many of them went out of their way to offer suggestions or took special care to enhance activities to suit the participants when time allowed. We felt appreciated and pampered and relaxed.

This being said, we did notice that the furnishings in the grand hall lobby and front verandah were very worn, dirty, and that the tables were rarely cleaned. A disappointment when this is the very first impression the Hotel can deliver when a guest arrives. A suggestion to the new Omni management team: It's time to replace or properly clean some of the dirty cushions and reallocate staff to keep tables cleared and clean. SImilarly, careful observation and coaching of the front desk staff would move the needle from "very good" to "excellent". The staff member manning the front desk at one point rolled his eyes when we asked for change for a $20 so we could tip the shuttle driver. He was so overtly rude that I made a mental note to avoid him for any future requests. This should NEVER be the case with a hotel of this caliber, rather one should walk away with the feeling that a simple and very standard request is an opportunity to make a guest happy. It's a supervisory opportunity, and I sense that the management, if they read this, will take advantage.

The resort offers great value and a timeless atmosphere of luxury and relaxation. We look forward to our next return to see what Omni has done. Certainly with some attention and "Management by walking around" the resort will continue in its great tradition of hospitality.

Room Tip: Ask the reservationist for a recommendation based upon your needs. They want to make you happy.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for visiting The Homestead this summer and for sharing your very helpful review. It is good to know that you felt pampered and relaxed during your stay! We appreciate your observations and suggestions and will use all of them as tools for improvement. We recently completed a $25 million renovation project to our historic resort which included our Spa, new dining venues and other amenities. We are in the process of making plans to update and upgrade may of the aspects you touched on in your review. We do hope you will come back and stay with us in the future.
Wyncote, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

We (2 adults, 3 kids) just returned from a 4-day stay at the Homestead over Labor Day. This beautiful resort has a few great attributes, including: 1) the pool area is wonderful, 2) the rooms are well appointed with comfortable beds, 3) the food at Jeffersons is fantastic and 4) the staff is, on the whole, very friendly.

However, I do not know that we would return. We are a family of seasoned travelers, both here and abroad. There are certain things we have come to enjoy at resorts of this caliber that were lacking, namely: 1) a shuttle service that is a service--when done at the Jefferson Pools we waited, wet and tired, for more than 20 minutes because the driver refused to leave unless she had 17 people (there were 16 on the bus); 2) breakfast options that make sense. I HATE buffets and the choice at the Homestead is either a very elaborate (and good) buffet or take-out food at Martha's Market. Or room service. Something with a menu to sit down and not have to do the buffet would have started our days off much better. 3) Prices: Everything was about 10-15% more than it needed to be. For no apparent reason. We are used to paying top dollar, but the Homestead's prices (particularly in the spa and main dining room) were about 10% more than needed. 4) the Kids Club. My son loves kids clubs. He left crying--saying he wanted to go home, and it was awful. He was in a half day so I could kayak with my teenage girls (great excursion), and it almost ruined the rest of his trip.

I know Omni just purchased the hotel, so I hold out hope. The Mount Washington Hotel in NH was one of our favorite resorts ever; I am optimistic that under new ownership this will, one day, step up to that level.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
While I was certainly pleased to read that you enjoyed The Homestead’s pool area, your accommodations, our new Jefferson’s Restaurant, and the friendliness of our staff, I wanted to sincerely apologize for the problems you encountered. We will revisit our processes in order to ensure that every guest receives the Southern hospitality for which we are so well known. Thank you for your helpful feedback and we do hope that you will return sometime in the future so we may show you a truly great Homestead experience.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

I would like to start off by saying that I'm very fond of The Homestead. I've been very lucky to have grown up going to The Homestead. I've been a patron for over the last 30 years plus. My family has been going for over 50 plus years.

I stayed at The Homestead over Labor Day weekend and I was extremly disapointed. The stay was for a mini moon which my wife and I were excited about.

I started the day off at the shooting club shooting sporting clays in the late afternoon. When I arrived the shooting club as always the staff was very helpful and nice. We started our trek and I noticed that 3-4 stations that I shot, only one of the two machines were working which was frustrating but not a day killer. I didnt say anything because I just wanted to relax and shoot. I understand that skeet machines jam every once in a while but this is the first time I've had more than two machines down in a round. My guide was great and he asked me if I wanted to try another station but I didnt want to make a big deal about it because I wanted to shoot and go back to the hotel to be with my wife.

The shuttle staff were fast and I cant say enough about them. I've never had a bad experience in one of the shuttles. If your taking a shuttle I would remember to bring a small tip becuase the guys and girls depend on it (not that it was mentioned by any driver).

My wife was still in the lobby of the hotel when I arrived from shooting. She went to check into the room which was the (new) wing. The hotel has an old and a new wing which we preferer the old wing. The room A/C was making loud noices and after further inspection of the room we found stains on pillows/carpets/chairs. The room cost exceeded $300.00 and didnt look or feel clean. We asked to change rooms and if they had availability in the old wing we would like a room. They front desk explained that they had a room available but it needed to be clean but there would be a wait. We were happy to wait because we preferred the old wing. We waited an hour and I checked back on the room status. The front desk said it wasnt ready yet and that they needed a bit more time. I was pleased to wait in the great hall its very pretty with old columns and did I mention they have a bar. While I was waiting I decided to get a beer and a drink for my wife which took entirly too long for the patron (6 patrons, 3 staff) in the bar. I waited about 10 minutes with no drink orders in front of me. I think they were training a new guy which was fine and I had the time but this happend 3 more times. We were waiting very patiently for our drinks and decided to go back up to the front desk which we have now been waiting for over 2.5 hours. They said they tried to call us since we gave them our numbers at check in but when asked to see what number they were calling they had the wrong number and not by a little bit but the entire number. The staff at this point were very sorry and I guess they relized that we were on our mini moon and asked if they could pay for our dinner. Which was an extremly nice comp but could have been avoided.

We went to dinner that night at the Jefferson. (This used to be called the Grille) We knew that they had changed the model for the restaurant so we called ahead to double check the dress code. It used to be coat and tie which I was preparred for. We were told over the phone that a coat and collar shirt was required. When we arrived at the restaurant after we found the hostess stand that people were dressed in jeans and t-shirts. The restaurant was packed and lacked atmosphere from the old restaurant. The wine bar in front of the hostess stand was confusing. We sat down and tried to order a decent bottle of Pinot Noir and they were out of the selection so I had to spend a little more for the better bottle. We were happy with the wine and when it came. We tried to order a couple of items off the menu but they didnt have 2 of the entrees we requested, but only after a 25 min wait, which was anoying. The wait staff was great but we noticed that she had a lot of tables. She explained that one of the servers couldnt handle the all of her tables so she had to take on more tables. It would have been nice just to enjoy the dinner instead we felt a bit rushed. The food was okay and over priced. Did i mention that they got rid of all table side items! This used to be what I liked about the restaurant the most.

After being tired of all the obsticles at the hotel we decided to go to bed. My wife wanted one thing and one thing only the entire trip and that was to have breakfast in bed the next morning. Normally every room has an breakfast order form in the room but we didnt have one so we called down to room service to bring one up. We waited 2 hours and were so tired of dealing with the hotel we went to sleep. We didnt have time to get breakfast the next morning!

We woke up and had spa appointments at the new spa Canyon Ranch. It was quite amazing and really liked the new facilities but way over priced ($180.00 PER PERSON, 50 Min)!!! I could have driven to Richmond, VA and had a 2hr massage for that kinda of money! It was okay since we did check the pricing before booking and thats all we did at the resort other than meals. Since we were unable to get breakfast we were hungry around 11am so we left the spa.

We decided to get an early lunch because we didnt see any options at the pool. We took showers and dressed up to go to the Casino which is now called Canyon Cafe just up from the spa building. We had a great lunch but were a bit angry that it didnt open until 11:30am. At lunch our server was great and very friendly and fast. I asked for a Coke Cola and she informed me that the Canyon Cafe does not serve any dark soda's which is just another problem that needs to be addressed.

After lunch we decided to go back to the spa and relax the rest of the day. The spa pool and facilities cost $75 per day or its free when you have a service. The mineral pool was really relaxing, regular pool was great, and the hot tub was refreshing. I asked a pool attendant in a blue shirt if I could get a beer and she said she would check on it to see what they served. She came back and informed me tha that still and sparkling water was all that they served. She walked into what I now know is the pool cafe (no signs/mention of this when checking in) and about 45 min later I see a server walking around with a glass of wine and sandwiches. At this point we had already decided to leave. I asked the spa front desk upon leaving if they served drinks/food and she informed that they did. I did not see a server until 2pm. I'm very curious why I didnt have anyone ask me or my wife if we needed anything to eat or drink!

I want to let everyone know that this is a great resort but my last experience was a horrible one. The Homestead is in transition right now and I hope Omni can take care of these problems before I return for Thanksgiving. I stayed at the Richmond Omni the night before and was extremly happy with my stay.

Room Tip: Choose the old wing if possible. It feels like you travel back in time which is fun. The new wing ha...
Green Features: The Homestead has for years tried to be eco friendly. They have signs in the rooms to try and reuse towels. I did notice that on the entryway deck they have some option to recycle but it in not marked very well. It would be nice if we could recycle containers in our room.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for taking the time to review The Homestead. Comments from our valued, long-time guests are very important to us. I hope you will accept my sincere apologies that your last visit with us was less than exceptional. I assure you that we will review your comments with our associates and leaders as part of our process of continuous improvement, and we will strive to deliver the Southern hospitality for which The Homestead is so well known. We look forward to welcoming you back at Thanksgiving, which, as you know, is very special at The Homestead, and will take this opportunity to regain your goodwill and confidence.
Pittsburgh, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

We had high expectations for our Labor Day vacation with the kids to the now Omni Homestead based on our experience staying at Bedford. What we found was a room run into the ground with dirty sheets, a badly damaged chair, and a non-functioning toilet that we called for two days to have fixed. The people who work there with the exception of Martha's Market and the valet/bell staff were miserable and unfriendly. The outdoor pool area was nice, but not enough to make up for all the other problems. There is virtually no where else to eat outside the hotel, and the prices are outrageous for the quality and service, not to mention the place stops serving real food around 9pm. We paid close to $200 for a carriage ride that involved a 30 minute trip on muddy roads in the woods. The Labor Day picnic was $70/person for bad hamburgers and was brought indoors despite no rain, all to the music of a terrible cover band. Oh, and GPS gives out once you hit the mountain roads, so good luck. What else can I say, this should not be branded as an Omni Resort.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Omni Hotels & Resorts

Thank you for your very honest feedback about your recent stay with us. Please accept our apologies for not living up to your expectations or our reputation. Be assured that all your comments will be reviewed by our team so we may make improvements. It is our hope that you will return to The Homestead in the future so we may have another chance to provide you with a truly great experience.
raleigh, nc
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

This was my first time visiting the Homestead.....it was absolutely gorgeous! Stunning views. The drive from Raleigh North Carolina was beautiful also. Winding roads up the mountains and we even came across a waterfall. The entire staff is absolutely wonderful. Very helpful. The hotel is huge but we got our bearings straight pretty quickly. The small town within walking distance is very quaint.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
new york city
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

We first visited in February and had such a good time we vowed to return in the summer time. We were upgraded to a presidential suite and we got to know Woodrow Wilson pretty well over the 5 nights of our visit. It is a beautiful and very spacious suite with pretty views. You can sit in bed and look out the window and see only mountains. The bathroom is as big as our living room in Manhattan. The new spa is very good and the fitness center was excellent (although it could use a situp bench). We see a lot of investment taking place under the new owners but hope that certain things stay in place, such as nightly dinner and dancing in the main dining room and piano music in the lobby at night. Chef Brian came out and made special sauces for us to allow for a vegetarian option and was really nice to us. Food and beverage is priced reasonably; the staff is really nice and cares if you are having a good time. They don't nickel and dime people and are not looking to make a quick buck off their guests. The adventure packages encourage people to do stuff on the property and we enjoyed the nature gorge hike with Brian who is a real hoot; archery, horseback riding, hayride. The kids loved the new water slide and lazy river pool and the new minigolf course was very nice. Lots of staff came up to us and asked if we liked or didn't like things such as the new Jeffersons Restaurant and the new Canyon Cafe -- we liked the latter (everything was great) and weren't so crazy about the former (too much saucy stuff for our taste -- the dining room at dinner is more fine and subtle). We like the vibe here -- it's WASPY but down to earth -- not like you see kids in Lilly Pullitzer dresses prancing about which is probably what you get at the Greenbrier. We liked the sheets and pillowcases in bed -- no duvets but we found the temperature in the room at night warming up every night in the middle of the night. Things we were not so happy about: Dining room needs new forks; i kept getting forks that weren't straight. Breakfast at the main dining room is passable; food on the buffet is often cold or lukewarm and a lot of it doesn't taste anything special although we loved the omlettes and the made to order waffles. Day camp was a big draw for us but it overpromised and under-delivered. Our kids complained that too many rules in this place prevented them from having a good time. Kids under 8 couldn't even go on the monkey bars in the playground and kids under 48 inches can't go on the water slides. "Hikes" in the day camp are basically walks around the hotel. "Fishing" means something other than fishing as we know it because they don't have enough poles for the day camp to fish in the kids pond. They could use self-service laundry on the property; if you stay there more than a few days with kids it becomes really expensive to get all those socks and underwear cleaned even after a 50% discount off list price per item. It is true that you need to come with reservations for meals and activities pre-arranged or else it is a problem, but we found that they worked with us if we needed to make changes once we had arrived. We continue to enjoy this property and I'm sure we'll be back.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
We are delighted to read you enjoyed your visit so much last winter that you decided to return this summer. Thank you for your many kind comments, as well as your very helpful suggestions which we will take into consideration so we may make improvements. And thank you for suggesting to fellow travelers that dining and activity reservations should be made in advance. We look forward to welcoming you back again and again!

Been to The Omni Homestead Resort? Share your experiences!