“Great Loction” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
San Diego, United States
“Great Loction”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

Very nice location, SPA is great! Hot Spring is great for people with back problems. I have problems with allergies, some of the rooms are musky. I had problems one time, and none another time we stayed there. It is a little pricy but for anyone with back problems the stay is worth it.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Omni Hotels & Resorts

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (439)
Richmond, VA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

The Homestead was once an elegant resort that now has a very common and overly casual feel. The service is not what is used to be and 75% of the buildings need to a fresh coat of paint. We are here for a one night mini-moon and have been disappointed at every turn. We had high hopes with Omni's recent purchase, but it seems there is still a lot of improvement needed in almost every area of the resort.

• Stayed September 2013
HomesteadResort, General Manager at The Omni Homestead Resort, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
Thank you for visiting The Homestead for your mini-moon. We apologize we did not meet your expectations. We have just finished a $25 million renovation at our historic resort with updates and restorations to our Spa, dining venues, and other amenities. We are excited about the plans that are underway for additional capital improvements. We hope that you will return to The Homestead in the future.
Charleston, West Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

Most of our resort travels have been in the Caribbean, so we are used to world class resorts with world class prices. We chose this resort for our anniversary getaway rather than our usual trip to the Caribbean because we could drive there from neighboring WV, resulting in less time off of work, and because we have enjoyed WV's Greenbrier Resort and had heard, "it's like The Greenbrier, only more laid back." Now having stayed at both in 2013, I wholeheartedly disagree.

First, we booked our trip from the hotel's website, chose the least expensive room category (still around $400/nt) and found our "romantic" room had an "enticing" view of the rooftop with A/C units, etc. and the back side of the rooms across the way. OK, we kept the blinds closed most of the time, as the room itself was fine, nicely decorated and clean, although a refrigerator would have been a nice addition.

Our biggest disappointment was with dinner reservations. In two e-mails prior to our trip, we were told, "Advanced Reservations and appointments are required for all evening dining and recreation to ensure preferred times." Since we were driving and wanted to be leisurely and somewhat spontaneous with our weekend and, being child-free, were completely flexible about what time we ate, we made the colossal mistake of not making reservations until we arrived. The e-mail should be changed to say, "Advance reservations are REQUIRED." period. We arrived around 4:30 p.m. on a Thursday evening and went directly to the concierge desk upon check-in, where we were told they had NO SEATS at ANY of the restaurants that evening! We were told we could try to go to Jefferson's and get a seat at the wine bar. We got dressed for dinner and went there at 7:00 p.m. and the Maitre'D told us to have a seat nearby because the wine bar group had been there since 5:30 and would be leaving soon. We sat for about an hour until it became clear the lively group at the wine bar had no intention of leaving. At about 8:15 pm., I called the switchboard and was told I could call Sam Snead's Tavern, and I did and was told to come immediately and they could seat us but closed at 9pm. We took off as fast as we could with me in heels, (it's off property in the "town" of Hot Springs) and arrived there sweaty, only to be told that the only seats were AT THE BAR. So we went over and perched on bar stools where we finally were able to order. So much for a romantic sit-down dinner. We were only able to eat at the main dining room at 9 pm on Saturday night but considered ourselves lucky to get a seat.

I have never been to a resort before that CANNOT ACCOMMODATE all of its guests for dinner, and on a WEEKNIGHT at that. I find this extremely poor service, particularly when the e-mail indicated that advance reservations were necessary if you wanted your "preferred times." Fortunately, the food when we did eat was delicious and was the high point of the trip, though I found it extremely overpriced. Also, although we enjoyed afternoon tea after we finally got through the long line, we noticed they were having a hard time keeping it stocked, and noted that some guests seemed to be treating it as their "lunch" rather than the snack it is intended, which we wondered if was perhaps due to the high cost of food at the resort.

The most overpriced item is the new spa, which they clearly are trying to pay for with their prices. A 50 minute massage was $155! However, with that price, you did get the opportunity to use the state-of-the-art fitness center and spend the day at the adults-only spa pool, which I took advantage of. If you were only getting the treatment, that price would be outrageous. Also, for $55 a day, my husband was able to use the spa facilities with me without getting a treatment. We enjoyed the quiet of the pool and having food and beverage service there (at an additional cost, of course.) We walked over to the "family" pool area, which was PACKED and decided it was probably worth it to get the peace and quiet we were after.

I agree with the reviewer who said there is nothing to do in the local area outside the resort. The town of "Hot Springs" is lacking. The highlight for us was the wine shop. The main attraction seemed to be the local farmer's market on Saturday morning, which had a few vendors with a few unappealing crafts and some vegetables. Otherwise, there was a drug store that was sparsely stocked, a small card/toy shop and a consignment store. No charming coffee shops, sandwich shops (oh, they did have a lone Subway!), art galleries, bookstores, unique gift and souvenir shops or boutiques as you see in most resort towns. There were MANY empty storefronts, leading me to believe that perhaps there used to be such offerings. BIG contrast to "White Sulphur Springs," the charming town where The Greenbrier is located, not to mention the fact that Lewisburg, previous winner of America's Coolest Small Town, is a few minutes' car ride away from The Greenbrier.

We ventured to nearby "Warm Springs" in hopes of finding more and were more disappointed. We had hoped to have lunch at the restaurant at the Grist Mill Inn and discovered it is only open for dinner and the area is even more dead.

I note we did enjoy the row of stores at the resort, and I hate to keep comparing it to The Greenbrier, but we felt it could be so much more special if it had a chocolatier. Also, we inquired about whether there was a resort photographer, which is another excellent feature at The Greenbrier, and we were given a card for a photographer in town. Not nearly as convenient as the photographer right there at the resort snapping beautiful pics before dinner that are available for purchase the next morning.

Unlike other reviewers, we did find most of the staff friendly and helpful. On our last night, I started having an allergic reaction (perhaps to shellfish) in the middle of the night and my husband went to the front desk and they had a security guard open the gift shop to get an allergy pill, which we greatly appreciated. Also, the sweet older lady who made our omelettes at breakfast was a pure delight.

While we did manage to enjoy ourselves, mainly because it WAS time away from our children and work, for the amount we spent (approx. $2K for 3 nts) we left feeling disappointed and wishing we had flown to the Caribbean (could have gone 4 nts for the SAME price, including flight!) I would only go back there for a huge discount (as on Groupon or Living Social.) And if I did go again, I would make sure to make dinner reservations for all evenings WELL IN ADVANCE.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
HomesteadResort, General Manager at The Omni Homestead Resort, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
While I was certainly pleased to read that you enjoyed The Homestead’s food and hospitality of our associates during a recent anniversary getaway, I wanted to sincerely apologize for not meeting your expectations with your room accommodations and for the inconvenience you experienced when making dinner reservations after your arrival. We do strongly recommend that dining and activity reservations be made in advance, although we are happy to be flexible and make changes based on availability. Thank you for letting us know about your visit, and we hope we will be welcoming you back again in the future. Please feel free to contact my office directly so we may assist you with your plans.
Richmond, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

the only thing going for the Homestead are the magnificent views. All of the activities are so over-priced it's ridiculous. No family could afford this place. My husband and i went for our honeymoon and we were very disappointed. Thought a couples massage would be nice...but not for $470. I guess we got one of the older rooms since we got a discount (from receiving their emails). The bathroom was dirty and they had to reclean it, the carpeted floor was badly stained, chips in the walls, and the smell of bleach so bad it burned your throat (couldn't have been from cleaning the bathroom). Front desk personnel not overly friendly as you would expect from a resort. Also, we made reservations for dinner in the grand restaurant/ballroom and got seated behind a huge column and couldn't even see the band. Food terribly expensive and not that great. So very disapponted and sad to have to write this review. Last thing...there is nothing to do in this small town other than the activities at the resort.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review. I was disappointed to see that your experience was less than exceptional. Our goal is to provide each and every guest with a first-class, memorable experience and we are sorry we fell short during your stay. We will be sure to refocus our efforts and hope that you will return in the future.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

This is a magnificent resort and great value. We stayed for four nights with a breakfast and dinner package - full choice of restaurants, no limit on meal selections, etc. The hotel is beautiful with outstanding amenities - gym, golf, tennis, pool, spa, etc. Guided walking tours are available and recommended for hikers. We look forward to returning.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013 via mobile

First let me say, I have never complained about a facility before in all my travels. We have stayed at many great resorts in most states in America. It saddens mentor have to write this review. I hope it will be shared with employees and management to improve this historic facility. We had great expectations for The Homestead. Unfortunately, it missed the mark on every level. Room in disrepair, light bulbs burned out, ceiling paint peeling, roof in front of elevator leaking, chairs so dirty I wouldn't sit in them. We were pushed to make dinner reservations only to be told there weren't enough people to keep the restaurant open so we had to pick another one. We ended up at Sam Sneads and Slammin Sammy would have been very disappointed with the Luke warm mediocre meal that was served. Hoping to salvage something we ordered dessert only to find out the freezer had been unplugged so there was no ice cream. HUH?? Then we ate ate Jeffersons. Can it get any worse? At least a manager with a brain took charge of our nightmare and did what he could to rectify an embarrassing situation. I wish I could say the service from the employees was better but they were rude and mostly unhelpful. Many complained they didn't like their jobs and hadn't received a pay raise for years ( one specifically 7 years). When I hung the privacy sign on my door to run get a quick cup of coffee and come back to my room the cleaning lady said I must not want my room cleaned. I looked at the door hangar- that's not what it says. Some employees complained they were not paid the over time they are entitled to. Blah blah blah. Horrible food- decrepit accommodations and Piss poor service at a high price. if that is what you are looking for then this is the place for you. We can only hope that Omni brings the Homestead to the level it proudly deserves. It is quite sad to see such a magnificent place being run into the ground on so many levels. Good luck!!!

• Stayed August 2013
Thank you for sharing your concerns with me during your stay. I am sorry that we did not provide the special trip you had been looking for. As we discussed, please contact me whenever I may be of assistance to you with a future reservation.
Brent Glashan
Resort Manager
Chapel Hill, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

Lovely location and great food but the service is truly lacking. An automatic gratuity is now built into your bill and the employees have given up on service. When a family is paying about $800 a night I think that the desk staff should look guests in the eye and be VERY pleasant. The hotel probably also wants to bus its hallways more frequently. Food was left outside rooms for two full days. It made me very nervous about pests.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Omni Hotels & Resorts

Thank you for posting your review and for being so candid in your remarks. We will use your comments and suggestions as tools for improvement. We do hope that you will come back and stay with us in the future.

Been to The Omni Homestead Resort? Share your experiences!