This was our third trip to the Homestead in the last 2 1/2 years. We went primarily to have family time at Allegheny Springs, and we definitely accomplished that. We arrived for check-in a few minutes after 4pm (check-in time), but our room wasn't ready yet. Amy at the front desk was extremely helpful and actually upgraded our room so we could be put in a room immediately. We had a tower room on 17 (which is actually the 6th floor) with an enclosed porch area and sliding glass doors. We were disappointed to learn that the lobby bar menu online was no longer accurate, so we could not get kid-friendly meals there as we planned. We ordered pizzas to go from the former Casino Restaurant that is now the Canyon Ranch Café. When we arrived to pick up the food, there were a number of outdoor tables open, and they were able to accommodate us there with the perfect view and good food. We took advantage of Allegheny Springs after dinner and had the place almost to ourselves. My 5yo and 1yo loved playing in the kiddie splash area and the pool.
On Saturday, my husband and 1yo headed back to the pools while my 5yo and I went to the stable for her to do a hand-led horse ride. I didn't realize that they would not even give her any reins, but she enjoyed the ride anyway. I must say this was the cleanest stable I've ever seen. We returned to the resort and joined the rest of the family at the pools. My 5yo was just tall enough to take advantage of the water slides and would have stayed on them for hours if we had let her. She also really enjoyed the lazy river. I didn't realize ahead of time that there was a small sand play area near the kiddie splash area. There are no toys provided for the sand, so if you have young kids, I recommend bringing your own sand toys. We had dinner at Jefferson's Restaurant and had previously requested a table by the windows. We had a great view and good service with the food arriving quickly. The kid meals were sizeable, and both girls liked them. I had the filet and really liked it, though the edges were a little too black for a medium rare steak. My husband got the lamb and liked it but would not order it again. He commented that our daughter's grilled cheese was the best thing any of us got. We waited to get dessert in Martha's Market where we split ice cream. He and my daughter then went to play putt putt golf and enjoyed the little course.
The minor issues we had were the following, and I must say that management and the front desk did not seem to care about the problems and failed to offer any apologies:
1) Housekeeping left a lot to be desired in our room. I saw a couple of hairs in the bathtub as soon as we checked in, but everything else looked clean enough and we didn't want to cause a fuss over it. As the first day went on, I found an empty shotgun shell, lotion bottle, and hair gel under the edges of 1 of the beds.
2) The high the 3 days we were there was only in the 70's, but the room was incredibly stuffy. We left the curtains closed on Saturday in the hopes that that would block the sun and help cool the room. When that didn't work, we asked that someone come to the room at 6pm when we would be out for dinner. At 7:15 when we returned, they were just starting to work on the AC. After more than 20 minutes, they said they had done all they could, helped us open the sliding glass door, and asked housekeeping to bring us a box fan to help circulate the outside air inside the room.
3) There were servers walking all around Allegheny Springs, but for whatever reason, no one would wait on us and the service was very slow when we stood in line for drinks. Also, $15+ for chicken tenders and fries is a bit much.
4) Despite the website saying the kids spa is open (which it has said for weeks), it isn't open.
5) There was peeling paint in the bathroom, but the rest of the room was in great condition.
Basically, we had a great time despite minor issues. A lot of the information on the website was inaccurate, so if you want the correct information call the resort and ask directly. The Homestead is as beautiful as ever!
Avoid the garden wing where a lot of the rooms are dated
See more room tips
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
Thank you for sharing your review and for being so candid in your remarks. We always appreciate hearing from our repeat guests as your opinions are very important to us. We are glad that you had a great trip overall, and do apologize for some of the issues you encountered. Since your visit, we have opened the Children’s Spa and all our information is now accurate on the web site. We look forward to welcoming you and your family back again soon.
Report response as inappropriate
This response is the subjective opinion of the management representative and not of TripAdvisor LLC.