First let me start by saying that I didn't know what we would find at The Homestead as the reviews on Trip Advisor vary greatly and we had never been there before. My husband and I just returned from a 4 day/3 night visit and we could not have loved The Homestead more!!
From the moment we pulled up to the gorgeous resort, the staff could not have been more helpful, polite and wonderful. The valets, bellhops, concierge, front desk, wait staff, maids are ALL fabulous!
We took full advantage of the activities at the resort. Hiking the Waterfall Gorge, fly fishing with an Orvis guide and canoeing! Could not recommend each of these more! My absolute favorite was the fly fishing with Matt! The scenery was breathtaking,almost magical as you stood in the middle of this gorgeous stream actually catching trout!! The next day we went on the canoe trip that lasted about 2 hrs and was equally as beautiful. We also hiked the north and south trails on our own...great trails that are free to everyone! Don't miss the history tour...the Historian knows his stuff...very informative and enjoyable!
We also went to the Aquavana experience in the spa....this was a very unique and relaxing experience going from a hot misty spa (eucalyptus scented), to a cooler Caribbean rain shower, to a hot rock sauna (lavender scented) and then to a cool mist with ice chips on your face. You end the experience in heated lounge chairs.
DO NOT miss the Jefferson pools!! Soaking in these historical pools is one of the most relaxing and enjoyable experiences you will ever have! Very affordable at $17 per person for an hour.
The restaurants were FANTASTIC!! We ate at the Jefferson the first night and fine dining the second night. GREAT wait staff!! The food was excellent! Yes, it is a bit on the high side, but the ambiance is an added bonus! The 3rd night we went into Warm Springs and ate at The Waterwheel Restaurant...it is charming and fabulous...the restaurant is in an old gristmill! We ate at the breakfast buffet 3 mornings. The buffet had anything and everything you could imagine! The hosts and wait staff were very attentive and professional at the breakfasts.
We stayed in the tower facing the back mountains and loved the view!
For those of you complaining the resort is old and outdated, you are overlooking the fact that this is a very grand old HISTORICAL hotel. If you want perfection then go to a newly constructed resort. The Homestead is absolutely gorgeous in every way...you need to appreciate the small imperfections...which there are very few! Our room was lovely and very up to date! Great bed linens, towels and robes...not to mention the toiletries.
It is a family friendly resort as well as a couples resort. If you don't want to deal with the kids at the resort, you should think about traveling when the kids are in school....I would imagine September/October would be beautiful with the leaves changing. The children at the resort did not bother us though.
We will return for sure.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Open since 1766, The Omni Homestead is one of America's most storied resorts, offering unparalleled hospitality and southern charm in a 2,000-acre setting within the Allegheny Mountains of southwestern Virginia. Renowned for its natural hot springs, The Homestead is distinguished by 483 luxurious guest rooms and suites, 72,000 square feet of meeting space, a wide array of fine and casual dining choices, an expansive spa, championship golf courses that include one of the nation's finest mountain courses (The Cascades), Allegheny Springs, a two-acre family-friendly water attraction complete with lazy river, water slides and water play zone. The resort also offers the South's first downhill ski area, an Equestrian Center, top-rated Shooting Club, archery, canoeing, falconry, Segway tours and a wealth of other recreational attractions. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Hotwire, Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets and Jetsetter so you can book your The Omni Homestead Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Homestead Hotel Hot Springs
- Homestead Hotel Hot Springs
- Homestead Va
- Homestead Hot Springs Virginia
- Homestead Hot Springs Va
- Homestead Resort Hot Springs