“Wonderful, beautiful resort for families and couples!” 5 of 5 stars

Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Hot Springs
GreenLeadersBronze level
Virginia
“Wonderful, beautiful resort for families and couples!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

First let me start by saying that I didn't know what we would find at The Homestead as the reviews on Trip Advisor vary greatly and we had never been there before. My husband and I just returned from a 4 day/3 night visit and we could not have loved The Homestead more!!

From the moment we pulled up to the gorgeous resort, the staff could not have been more helpful, polite and wonderful. The valets, bellhops, concierge, front desk, wait staff, maids are ALL fabulous!

We took full advantage of the activities at the resort. Hiking the Waterfall Gorge, fly fishing with an Orvis guide and canoeing! Could not recommend each of these more! My absolute favorite was the fly fishing with Matt! The scenery was breathtaking,almost magical as you stood in the middle of this gorgeous stream actually catching trout!! The next day we went on the canoe trip that lasted about 2 hrs and was equally as beautiful. We also hiked the north and south trails on our own...great trails that are free to everyone! Don't miss the history tour...the Historian knows his stuff...very informative and enjoyable!

We also went to the Aquavana experience in the spa....this was a very unique and relaxing experience going from a hot misty spa (eucalyptus scented), to a cooler Caribbean rain shower, to a hot rock sauna (lavender scented) and then to a cool mist with ice chips on your face. You end the experience in heated lounge chairs.

DO NOT miss the Jefferson pools!! Soaking in these historical pools is one of the most relaxing and enjoyable experiences you will ever have! Very affordable at $17 per person for an hour.

The restaurants were FANTASTIC!! We ate at the Jefferson the first night and fine dining the second night. GREAT wait staff!! The food was excellent! Yes, it is a bit on the high side, but the ambiance is an added bonus! The 3rd night we went into Warm Springs and ate at The Waterwheel Restaurant...it is charming and fabulous...the restaurant is in an old gristmill! We ate at the breakfast buffet 3 mornings. The buffet had anything and everything you could imagine! The hosts and wait staff were very attentive and professional at the breakfasts.

We stayed in the tower facing the back mountains and loved the view!

For those of you complaining the resort is old and outdated, you are overlooking the fact that this is a very grand old HISTORICAL hotel. If you want perfection then go to a newly constructed resort. The Homestead is absolutely gorgeous in every way...you need to appreciate the small imperfections...which there are very few! Our room was lovely and very up to date! Great bed linens, towels and robes...not to mention the toiletries.

It is a family friendly resort as well as a couples resort. If you don't want to deal with the kids at the resort, you should think about traveling when the kids are in school....I would imagine September/October would be beautiful with the leaves changing. The children at the resort did not bother us though.

We will return for sure.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
HomesteadResort, General Manager at The Omni Homestead Resort, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Wow - Thank you so much for choosing our historic resort for a getaway with your husband! We are so honored to have had you with us. And, thank you for providing such a glowing review for your fellow travelers. We are happy to hear how much you enjoyed your stay with us and are pleased that you were able to experience many of the things that make The Homestead so unique and special. We look forward to welcoming you back soon to experience more of all we have to offer!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (401)
Chambersburg, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

I went end of May for 2 nights with my husband, 4 year old, and 16 month old. We had a groupon so I wanted to check it out for a mini family vacation. It states it is a family friendly resort but when we were there, the hotel itself was very quiet with only 2 other family with kids. Mostly older guests (we are in the early 30s) and I felt like I had to tell my kids to hush constantly from fear of bothering other guests and they are not really rowdy either. Room was clean and comfortable.

Pools nice and area clean. My favorite part of the resort. Ate lunch here every day we were here. Good portions.

Disappointed in food at the resort otherwise. In the main dining room, I paid almost $40 for one crabcake! not that tasty either. At the Inn down the road my husband and I got the beef brisket and although the flavor was good, the brisket itself was tough and small portions. I am not a big person or eater but for the price, you kinda expect more. Left dinner hungry.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your May visit. It sounds indeed like you were here during a quiet time, unlike now in the summer when the resort is bustling with families enjoying the more than 30 activities we have to offer. Your remarks regarding dining have been shared with our Culinary Department for their review and consideration. We do appreciate your observations and look forward to seeing you again.
Las Vegas, Nevada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

Spent last weekend 7/26/13 at this resort for a business conference. I was expecting a phenomenal weekend and was somewhat disappointed. The hotel supposedly is going through ownership changes and it sure showed. The employees were very gracious but somewhat confused. The overall resort was in a state of disarray... indoor plants hadn't been watered in days. They looked tried and sad. Carpets were dirty, bedspreads were stained, gift shops were confusing. Front desk employees were all "in training." The food was very good especially the breakfast buffet. I'll return but with lower expectations.

Room Tip: I think they were all good.
Green Features: They tried hard to be environmentally responsible.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your very honest feedback about your recent stay with us. Please accept our apologies for not meeting your expectations. We have just completed a $25 million restoration to our historic resort. The renovations included updates and enhancements to our Spa, Spa Garden (which now contains an adult-only outdoor area), restaurants including “Jefferson’s” and a new conveniently located Lobby Bar, Allegheny Springs (a two-acre water attraction); a new miniature golf course; and “Downtime” which will be opening soon and is a new family game area with mini bowling, pool tables, Wii, Xbox and arcade games. We are sorry if you were inconvenienced during a transition period and hope that you will return again soon so we may regain your goodwill and confidence and show you a truly great Homestead experience.
Bristow, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

We had a Groupon for the hotel that we used at Christmas time. This has always been on my bucket list and now I've decided I want to live there! : ) The hotel is decorated to the nines at Christmas time...absolutely stunning. The food in both restaurants was phenomenal (remember to bring a sport coat for men and boys over 11 or 12!). The service was outstanding and the room was exceptionally clean and beautiful. Our Groupon included 2 activities so we chose archery and horseback riding (choice of activities is somewhat limited in the winter before ski season starts). The archery instructor was very personable with a great sense of humor. The horseback ride, while not through a particularly scenic area, was a lot of fun for us since we don't usually ride horses. I would have been nervous if we were galloping across a field so I was happy. The extras like cornhole on the lawn were a lot of fun and I loved the Christmas shop. Overall, it exceeded my expectations and I can't wait for another chance to go back!

Room Tip: Be prepared to walk! The rooms are sometimes quite a distance from the lobby. Not an issue for us...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
We are delighted that you had the opportunity to visit The Homestead and that we exceeded your expectations! We hope you will visit us again soon and experience more of what our historic resort is all about.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

We just returned from our 4th "annual" vacation/conference and we enjoyed our trip as usual. Visit Martin in the Casino lounge for his special Sangria recipe (from Uganda); ask Neville to sing for you during your meal in the main dining room or the veranda; and ask Zachary for his lemon wedges in the President's lounge.

Our first adventure was the kayak trip. Our tour guides were great (although one van broke down and the transportation department of the hotel was able to get it started, only to return to the hotel without us, leaving us deserted and waiting for over 30 minutes). Overall, though, i would recommend this and the canoe trip (we did the canoe trip last year).

On our second day, we enjoyed a convention golf outing and the course was in great shape. After our round, we were delighted to meet Martin and enjoyed his "home made" sangria.

I needed to mail something so I purchased a Homestead card in the gift shop and asked about buying stamps. She informed me that the concierge staff could help me. After waiting in a fairly long line, they referred me to the front desk. After waiting in another fairly long line, the front desk agent told me that "we" don't sell stamps but they could be purchased at the concierge desk. I let her know that it was the concierge desk that sent me to the the front desk. Unbelievably, she simply looked back at me and repeated, "we don't sell stamps" like I did not understand the English language. Really? I let her know that I would pass on this vital information to them, as they were unaware.

Being in the hospitality business, this really burned me up! I tried to pass on the information, but the line was so long at the concierge desk (it was a rainy Saturday), so they were not prepared for so many people looking for indoor entertainment options. Another low point - oh, and by the way, I never got the stamp!

The hotel does not offer complimentary coffee in the morning anymore. We found this out and were directed to the cafe. After paying $7+ for 2 coffees (not latte's), I asked for a receipt, and although I did not get a response from the clerk (like "of course, it would be my pleasure), she printed me one, and then she said "you'e welcome" before I could thank her. This particular faux pax is unforgivable! We purchased coffee there each morning - and let me be clear that although I don't remember her name, it was not one of the two women that worked there (both named Rhonda). They were great.

Finally, the veggie lasagna served at our convention dinner was awesome, as was the rest of the food and meals that were part of the trip. Breakfast in the Main Dining room is good, but not worth $30 per person. The new spa and exercise area were awesome!

Our last experience was having to wait over 40 minutes for our golf clubs to be brought to the valet station. Obviously, our experience was 50/50, but the 3 people (Martin, Neville and Zachary) outweighed the 2 negative interactions we had. If it wasn't for the 3 great staff, we would probably not return.

Room Tip: Bring a cooler as the hotel rooms do not have refrigerators.
Green Features: Although I am sure they have them, they are unknown to me and were unsolicited.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for continuing to stay with us at The Homestead and for writing your review. Comments from our repeat guests are appreciated as we strive to improve the guest experience. We also thank you for recognizing so many employees by name; we will be to share your kind comments with them. We are sorry for the inconvenience you experienced when attempting to buy a stamp and for the long wait for your golf clubs. These training issues will be immediately addressed. We are committed to continuing our tradition of excellence and hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back so we may regain your goodwill and confidence.
Manakin Sabot, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

At one time, this was one of the premier resorts in the state of Virginia. It was family owned and operated and one could depend on quality service, accomodations, food, incredible golf, and numerous activities. Unfortunately, the resort has been sold several times. Why is it this does not work out well for the guest? If you remember "the good ole days" you will be disappointed. If you are new to this resort, and mediocre is okay, you will be satisfied.

Room Tip: Ask for the new building.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
HomesteadResort, General Manager at The Omni Homestead Resort, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
Thank you for sharing your comments on TripAdvisor. We are very excited about the future plans for our historic resort and look forward to continuing to provide you with the legendary Southern hospitality you have become accustomed to.
Norfolk, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

I have been to the Homestead dozens of times over the last thirty years, through good times and bad for the hospitality industry, and have always loved many aspects of the stay. I remember the days when gentlemen bringing small children back from swimming needed to wear coat and tie to escort them through the lobby; our most recent visit seemed to reflect a bit less formality, which is either good or bad depending on what I am wearing at the time! The transition to Omni ownership is too recent to be reflected in many aspects of the grand old property, but I can report that the many long-time employees (most particularly the dining room staff, many of whom have been there for decades) are as courtly, elegant, friendly, professional, and accommodating as ever.

I am writing for a different reason. We were at the Homestead for a business meeting over the weekend of July 19-21. We arrived on the 18th, and while I stayed in my room -- which was a junior suite, roomy and beautiful -- my wife and young son went to the pool. The water slides were closed due to the late hour, and they decided to play a round of miniature golf. An improvident position for observation combined with an overly-exuberant swing to create a fairly serious accident, involving what might charitably be called club-head interface. Blood everywhere, head injury, and inconsolable child. (I have confirmed with the Bath County Hospital that this was a history-making event: the first ever emergency room visit, ambulance lights flashing, in the history of the Homestead, to have been precipitated by putt-putt golf.)

The Homestead staff members were simply magnificent. I regret that we were too flustered to remember their names, but they reacted immediately, appropriately, and with great attention, skill, and even affection. By the time I reached the scene from my room, there were probably a dozen or more Homestead staff members in attendance, giving comfort, taking initial action, and assisting the wonderful emergency medical technicians (themselves skilled, professional, and comforting). There were staff from Homestead maintenance, the pool, housekeeping -- none of them gawking bystanders, but all of them acting purposefully, with good cheer, and to good effect in rendering aid and assistance. The staff made sure I was in the emergency room when my wife arrived, took care of our needs, and even found a pair of bent glasses in the rapidly-falling dusk.

I only wish that tripadvisor allowed the use of much larger typeface when I reiterate: the Homestead staff were utterly magnificent, changing what could have been an emergency or worse into a mere inconvenience. We even received a call later in the evening in our room, from one of the staff members, checking up on us; the next day, we were greeted by good wishes and expressions of concern wherever we went. THIS is why a grand hotel is, and remains, a grand hotel, even if some of the air conditioners need service sometimes: service in the grand tradition, reminicent of the time when a hotel "client" was truly a "guest." Thank you to the Homestead!

Room Tip: Junior suites are much larger and not much more expensive. But the hotel has been there since 1766...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
HomesteadResort, General Manager at The Omni Homestead Resort, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Thank you for writing about your visit to The Homestead and for your many kind words about our staff. The Homestead is known for its Southern hospitality and care of our guests, and that is certainly reflected in your story. We are glad that everything worked out for you and your family and wish you all the best. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon!

Been to The Omni Homestead Resort? Share your experiences!