“Untypically Disappointing” 3 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Ashland, Virginia
“Untypically Disappointing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

Up until this visit, we have had no complaints with this resort. I am not sure if this is an OMNI related or not. I had bragged to my brother and sister-in-law about the impeccable service, but unfortunately we ran into less that acceptable service on several occasions. When I made my reservation I was told I would be in the Garden Wing, but upon check in "Todd" stated "not now". I went to the room, to see if possibly I had been upgraded... not! I went back to the desk and was moved to the Garden Wing by another representative. If this had been the only inconvenience you would not be hearing from me. We struggled with Kayla at the activities desk and I ended having to pull up the website to show her that indeed The Jefferson Pools were indeed included in the Adventure Package. Then she told us the transportation ran every half hour... not... it runs every hour on the thirty. After a lengthy wait, we drove ourselves to the pools. That night we had dinner reservations at The Jefferson Grille. It must have been the waiters first night. He dropped a knife on the table, forgot to put my order in, knew nothing of serving protocol and had a communication issue. The grill is new and nicely appointed but there is no value in the menu, portions or preparation. The beets in our salad we tough, the horseradish in the potatoes was overpowering, the menu states... whole chicken...a half a chicken arrived, and the "small plates" were ridiculously small. We were robbed of our evening meal. Last night we ate at Sam Sneads. It was an hour before any thing other than the bread arrived at our table, and we were not even offered a second basket. My son ordered a salad and the chicken pot pie and the waitress brought him the pot pie first and then the salad when the our dinners were served. My brother in laws "lollipop pork chop" was so overcooked he couldn't eat it. What has happened to The Homestead's Service? I will say that Travis at the Skeet shooting, the breakfast buffet, the Bellmen, the wait staff at the pool, and our driver Hugh, have yet to be infected. Please stop the bleeding before its to late.

Room Tip: The Garden Wing is worth the walk and some rooms have balconies!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
HomesteadResort, General Manager at The Omni Homestead Resort, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. We apologize we did not meet your expectations on your last visit. We pride ourselves on being a luxury hotel providing the best in Southern hospitality. We will definitely share these comments with our team leaders and work to take care of these problems immediately. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the future so we may regain your goodwill and confidence and provide the first-class customer service you have become accustomed to.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (413)
Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

I have been staying at The Homestead for many years for various business conferences. Recently, the Omni hotel group has purchased the historical property and have made several welcomed improvements, including the expansion of the spas, water slides, a lazy river, new bowling alley under construction, and newly renovated restaurants and bar area. I do hope the Omni will continue to freshen up the Great Hall and the Main Dining Room. The afternoon tea (with snacks) has a lot of Southern charm.

The front porch is a great place to hangout. The Sam Snead restaurant on the fringe of the resort property, albeit very small, always meets my high foodie expectations. The new Jefferson Grill/Restaurant (I had two lunches there) was disappointingly mediocre at best and not a reasonable value. The hallways are not well-air conditioned and there are no beverage vending machines for afterhours consumption. The service at the restaurants, the bell hop desk and the concierge desk was very good; however, at the snack bar and once at the front desk, the staff was not adequately informed as to what facilities/restaurants were open or closed for renovations -- this was frustrating when you walked a good distance, just to find out the facility was closed for renovations.

I am a fan of Omni hotel properties, and I am hopeful that The Homestead will be restored to its former grandeur and reputation. The Homestead is a very good venue for a business conference or special event, but until the renovations are completed, I probably would choose another vacation destination at the non-convention rate.

Room Tip: Choose a room with a view of the rear of the main building.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
HomesteadResort, General Manager at The Omni Homestead Resort, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
We appreciate you taking the time to write your review on The Homestead. Your comments are important to us as we view all feedback as tools for improvement. You were one of the first to dine in our new Jefferson’s Restaurant. Unfortunately we did have a few challenges at the beginning, but the dust has settled literally so to speak and Jefferson’s is fast becoming the hot spot to dine at The Homestead. We hope you will give this new dining venue another try in the future. We are sorry that every member of our staff was not up-to-speed on hours of operation during the transition. A new training program and better lines of communication have made improvements. It is our goal to provide every guest with Southern hospitality and a first-class memorable experience. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon.
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

Once again, the general facilities including the Old (golf) course and Homestead staff were great. However, the "preferred resort" room did not meet expectations. It had neither the view nor charm promised, and had no hot water the morning of my first day. The A/C dripped enough water throughout the stay to soak the carpet in the area and cause the room to smell. Maintenance fixed the hot water problem, but not the A/C during my residence.

Room Tip: Stay away from the east wing - its old and has upkeep problems.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
We appreciate yoursharing your feedback regarding your visit to The Homestead. We are pleased you enjoyed golfing on the Old Course and the Southern hospitality of our staff. We regret your accommodations did not meet your expectations and apologize for the inconvenience you experienced. Be assured that we have corrected these maintenance issues. We hope to welcome you back in the near future so we may regain your goodwill and confidence.
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

During the last few years, I have been staying at the Homestead for both personal and business reasons. However, on this past weekend's trip, my wife and I were glad to see that the Canyon Club spa had been completed, the Jefferson restaurant open and all of the other new amenities, including the Lazy River and water slides open. Our personal favorite was the spa, being able to enjoy the hot mineral water pool and the Aquavana with its combination of cool and hot treatments. We did see an improvements in flooring and carpets in certain locations. Also, when shooting sporting clays, even one of the employees stated that the employee dining had significantly improved since the acquisition by Omni.

We will be bringing our teenagers on the next trip, but we will be returning regularly as we have in the past and want this memory for ours to carry on with their families.

Room Tip: Be sure to get the meal plan that includes dinner and a phenomenal buffet breakfast. Also make rese...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for writing your review as we value the opinion of our long-time guests. We are delighted you recently enjoyed many of our new amenities at The Homestead and plan to return with your teenagers. The Homestead is a blend of old and new and we are confident your family will enjoy our updated list of activities including Segways, archery, canoeing, kayaking and much much more! We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Detroit
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

I have very fond memories of visiting the Homestead when I was a young girl. I remember dining in the main dining room where the gentlemen were dressed in suits and ties and the women were wearing their finest dresses. It is my memories that solidified my desire to visit with my husband and children a couple of years ago.

I will try to be brief with my assessment. The grounds are very well manicured and the resort itself is well maintained. The Homestead has a vibe of being much more family friendly than when I visited as a child which I believe is a good thing; however, if you are traveling without children, this may be more of an annoyance.

We participated in many of the activities which as others mentioned are expensive.. We enjoyed the gorge hike with our very informative guide; also,the multitude of waterfalls were beautiful so make sure you bring your cameras! We also participated in shooting, falconry, horseback riding and archery. We had a wonderful and patient shooting instructor although since some time has passed I can't remember his name. We never used the indoor pool since it was closed for renovation during our stay.

There are shuttles that take you to the various activities and all of the drivers were friendly and helpful. Also, some evenings, my husband and I would just sit and relax on the porch after a long day of activities.

My only real complaint is the lack of good restaurants although I understand a new restaurant has recently opened. Sam Sneads was okay but our other dining experiences were at times below average. My teenage son, who loves to eat, was thoroughly disappointed in the food. Our best dinner was at a little diner in town which doesn't say much for the resort when you are paying so much money! Also, I was not impressed with the main dining room. We ate there one evening and one of the servers in particular seemed like she was trying to rush us not to mention that the dinner was average at best.

If the food would have been better, I would have given my rating 5 stars. The resort is beautiful and relaxing and I hope to visit again some day.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for writing about The Homestead and for sharing your childhood memories! It is always good to hear from our long-time guests as your opinions are very important to us. We are delighted you enjoyed many of the special activities we have to offer; however, are sorry you were disappointed in your dining experience. Be assured your comments are being reviewed by our Culinary Team as we view all feedback as an opportunity to make improvements. Jefferson’s Restaurant is a casual, yet elegant setting and the latest addition to The Homestead’s dining options. A modern American grill with regional influences, Jefferson’s takes a farm-to-table approach with a hand-picked selection of prime and regional meats. We hope you will return soon and give Jefferson’s Restaurant a try; we are sure you and your family will enjoy it!
Birmimgham, AL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

The Homestead Inn including the ambiance, the breakfast buffet, the new fitness room, and my guided nature hike were all wonderful. My room was bit outdated. The service was average. The Canyon Ranch Spa did not live up to my expectations of even an average spa. The workers were not familiar at all with the services. No one gave me a locker until I asked for it. The relaxation room was dark, dingy, and the "music" was a loud continuous motor noise from the air conditioner. There was a pitcher of water and plastic cups. The co-ed relaxation room was nicer but barren with a carafe of tepid water, a few tea bags, and paper cups. There was no one in the Aquavana area to even show me how to navigate all of the various options. My deep tissue massage was not at all a deep tissue massage and the therapist left the room half way. The Spa Garden was beautiful as was the Finnish sauna.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for sharing your observations from your stay at The Homestead. We are delighted that you were able to enjoy many of the things which make our historic resort so special. We are sorry, however, that our new Spa did not meet your expectations. We have just completed extensive training in the Spa and I am confident that on a future visit you will find a vast improvement. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon.
Raleigh, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

Our family spent the weekend after 4th of July at the Homestead and did the unlimited activities package. This included golf, horseback riding, skeet shooting, a hay ride, mini-golf etc. The hotel itself is a beautiful old building but starting to get somewhat tired. Our room faced inwards so we had an unpleasant view of the roof below us. Ask for a mountain view. The breakfast buffet was about as good as one can expect from a buffet. Dinner in the main dining room was wonderful (men over 12 have to wear jackets) but it was still very family oriented (lots of fathers/daughters and grandmas/grandsons dancing). The new pool area with slides and lazy river was a great addition for our family.

All in all, it is a very expensive vacation. With room, meals, and activities, it worked out to almost $1000/day for our family of 4. I would return with my family, but would not visit with just my wife. It may have been because of the 4th of July holiday, but the resort was teeming with kids (mine included). I felt badly for a number of couples visiting because the atmosphere was not nearly as relaxing as it could have been with fewer kids.

Room Tip: Ask for an outside facing room.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
HomesteadResort, General Manager at The Omni Homestead Resort, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Thank you for sharing your 4th of July experience at The Homestead when the resort was bustling with families enjoying all that we have to offer. It is good to know you enjoyed many of the things which make our resort so special. We do apologize the view from your room did not meet your expectations. Should you wish to visit again in the future for a romantic getaway with your wife, may I suggest our adults-only Spa Garden pool, a carriage ride, a hike with our naturalist in the Cascades Gorge and a Falconry demonstration, history tour, room service breakfast, and relaxing in the Great Hall by the fireplace during afternoon tea. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon.

Been to The Omni Homestead Resort? Share your experiences!