“Old-Fashioned Southern Charm” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Newtown, Connecticut
“Old-Fashioned Southern Charm”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2008

I stayed at The Homestead back in November, but in going through my photos I realized I forgot to post a review. There are not photos posted of the rooms yet, so I am posting pictures of our 2-bedroom suite so people can see the rooms.
Our stay (we came without the children) was great. I probably would not bring my children here, although there were several families. Most of the patrons are adults, both old and young, but the resort does have family activities, especially in warmer weather.
Here are some things that made our stay relaxing and luxurious:
Location:
-in the middle of the most beautiful nowhere! The "town" is a few steps away, with a handful of shops.
-There are many wonderful walking trails that we used, and the views are spectacular, especially with the turning foliage
Rooms:
-Our suite was very traditionally decorated with 2 master suites (1 king and 1 with 2 doubles), a large living room and sun room
-sun room carpet had water damage and needed to be replaced
-beds were incredibly comfortable and the bathrooms were clean and tastefully updated.
Facility and Amenities:
-beautiful Library room off the lobby with many books and an interesting history in photographs
-we visited the coffee/ice cream shop every day (next to the library)
-gorgeous lobby w/ tons of seating areas
-The spa was good - I had a hot-stone massage and used the steam room. There are separate area for men and women. I did not use the indoor pool.
Food:
-Room service breakfast was prompt and delicious. Coffee is good and strong.
-1766 grille was amazing and some things were prepared tableside. Not sure if it's worth the extra $
-Dining room was beautiful and the food delicious. Breakfast is huge with the amount of food and choices.
-Lunch in the clubhouse was fine, but the selection was limited.

A great resort for relaxing with friends and family.

• Liked — The public spaces and property
  • Disliked — need to update room decor and tvs; expensive
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled with family

1,858 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (363)
Baltimore, MD
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2008

I'd heard raves from friends when I booked our stay here, but after reading several reviews on this site, I was worried. Happily, we had a spectacular time. The property is beautiful, and extremely well maintained. Our room was enormous with lovely amenities - definitely worth the price! My husband and I both had very good spa experiences. Yes, it is annoying to pay $10 to bowl on the property, but you know that going in when you book it - if you do your research beforehand, there is no need to be shocked or complain when they charge you for services. Breakfast was boutiful, and dinner was a lovely experience; not a 5 star meal, but very good, and made better by the ambience and dancing. Great weekend getaway - can't wait to come back in a different season!

Stayed January 2008
wayne,pa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2008

I spent a weekend at the Homestead with my daughter who is in college nearby. I hesitated booking a few times after reading some of the reviews, but other parents at her school highly recommended the Homestead, and with 2 exceptions, housekeeping and food, the stay was wonderful. I gave the resort 5 stars, as I believe these areas can be corrected,and management seemed very willing to listen to complaints and correct them asap. We stayed in a Preferred Resort room, and had a nice view. The room was very clean. The bathroom, as noted, was small, but I did not expect the Ritz Carlton. This is an old Southern resort that is very well-maintained. The A/C was not working properly, and after I complained, was fixed very quickly. The same cannot be said for housekeeping, which had failed to service our room by 3:30 pm Sat. I complained again, and management very thoughtfully handled this problem by sending me a nice fruit basket and getting the room serviced. The problem, I think, is that some of the housekeeping and service staff is comprised of people from other countries on short term visas who cannot speak or understand English well. I would think this could be addressed with better supervision and training. We ran into this problem again at dinner in the main dining room. That however, leads me to the other weak area-food. We had a nice lunch at the Casino and very good dinner at Sam Snead's Tavern Friday(hostess and waiters/waitresses were very personable and fine at their job). However, dinner in the Dining Room was subpar and not worth the price. My daughter's dish, an etouffe combination, was cold and the meat raw. On hindsight, I should have booked the more upscale Grill, where the food is probably not mass produced as in the Dining Room, or eaten again at Snead's. Afternoon tea was a little expensive, but lovely. For breakfast we had room service and it came promptly. I would suggest that the full breakfast, which was about $30.00, was more than enough for 2 people. There was a pleasant coffee shop near the Library for coffees, sodas, and newspapers. Other than the dining room food and housekeeping, the resort was excellent. My daughter had a top snotch skeet lesson. We both enjoyed the spa whose prices were only a little more than the ones at home. If we had wanted, we could have used the facilities all day. The President's Lounge has gorgeous views and the staff there was great. The stores on site were nice to explore- bought some soaps and earrings for my daughter. Prices were not out-of-line and staff in the stores were charming and helpful. The Resort itself is beautiful. I would compare it to Skytop, which I stayed at several yrs ago, but the Homestead was far superior. If we had had more time, we could have canoed or kayaked, or gone horseback riding or used the Indoor Pool or taken a golf lesson. I certainly would return to the Homestead. Special kudos to John the manager and Vicky the concierge. Both really wanted to make sure guests enjoyed their visit. I highly commend both of them. The ride from the Philly area is about 6 - 6 1/2 hours, or you can fly into Roanoke and there is ground transportation. I think this would be a great choice for families from the Pa/NY/NJ area to consider .

• Liked — personable, helpful staff, esp. Vicky and John; facilities
  • Disliked — dining room food and housekeeping
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Alexandria, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2008

The Homestead resort hotel is a high class facility with lots of amenities, top notch service and deeped in history. I loved the overall experience, especially given that I booked it for a stay in April when they discount their rooms 50%. My disappointment was in my dining experience though. We paid top dollar for The Dining Room reservation for dinner for my wife and I, despite the top quality service and ambiance, we received very disappointing food. My Kobe Steak was over-cooked to well done, when the menu said medium rare. I reordered it again. It wasn't very good quality either. My wife's 'chicken fried steak?' was not very tasty and also not very good quality. The truth is that we are not really picky eaters either, so it takes alot for us to complain. On the other hand, breakfast was devine.

• Liked — The atmosphere
  • Disliked — Food
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Arlington, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2008

My wife and I stayed here for a conference as the room rate was too good an opportunity to pass up on. Our first time at a resort, and staying in a hotel with a dress code, and I was cost concious but found lots of ways to make staying at the Homestead a relatively wallet friendly exercise. On arrival the doormen were very helpful, but they are quite happy to let you grab a cart and take your luggage up to your room by yourself. Park yourself in one of the two parking lots just up the hill from the front entrance, or in the valet lot on the road towards the stables, and avoid stumbling for a valet tip.

The pool is included and completely wonderful. Ask for a locker key at the spa shop desk. The light filled covered walkway connecting the hotel to the spa has big windows, cushioned seating with lots of fluffy pillows, which is above the heating vents. A wonderful place to spend time reading in the afternoon rain or shine. There are some lovely walks in the grounds of the hotel.

The exit by the pool changing rooms is right across the road from warm springs main street. A short walk brings you to a well stocked, reasonably priced ABC store, a 7-11 for breakfast milk, banks with ATM's, and Lindsay's Roost Bar & Grill, a friendly diner serving inexpensive down home food.

While my wife relaxed in the spa (our splurge for the trip), I took the free shuttle up to the shooting range. Basic skeet and trap packages start from about $85, or if like me you haven't shot since you were 14 try your luck on the .22 range for $18 for a box of 50 cartridges. A spotting scope mounted on a table means you can check your aim without having to walk to the end of the range.

Our room had a lovely light filled alcove with a chaise longue, fluffy bathrobes, and big television. But the free nightly movies in the theater, meeting up with my wifes colleagues, and banquet we attended, meant we only needed to turn on the TV once in the morning to check the weather. We enjoyed our stay here very much, and exploring this lovely part of Virginia.

Stayed March 2008
Arlington, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2008

I was at the Homestead in March for a conference. Overall I enjoyed my experience, especially for the discount rate we were given as part of the conference. A lot of little things, however, added up to make the stay not as great as other resorts.

Check-In: We found it very difficult to get help and had to track-down valet and bell-hop services. Once we'd done that the front-desk told us our room wasn't ready but that everything was fine. When we did go to get the keys to the room, a different person was helping us and was completely confused by our reservation and took 20 minutes to straighten it out.

Room: The room was very pleasant. Nice spacious bathrooms and bathtubs. Soft white towels and big sinks. The bed was very comfy. Do not, I repeat, do not use their rollaways. The first night I slept in a rollaway in a collegues room because the hotel was booked. It was among the worst sleep I've ever gotten. Homestead would do well to invest in new rollaways.

Activities: All of the activities seemed nice, while I only really took advantage of the hiking. The South Trail is a nice way to see the resort grounds, while the more difficult Deer-Lick Trail offers amazing hillltop views.

Spa: I had a mixed experience. The staff was very friendly and the facilities were clean and large. I enjoyed the relaxation room and I loved the raspberry tea. The room where I had my facial, however, was extremely cold. Additionally, my facial did not include an extraction, which both I and a friends were expecting as a part of the $160 experience. I've only had one other facial, but it was much better.

Food: The worst part about Homestead. I ate at the Casino twice and Sam Snead's once. Both were overpriced bland, and at some level bad, food. The service was average. The tea in the Great Hall was the one thing I enjoyed. I recommend the Roost join in town which was cheap diner food but so much better.

Conference Facilities: I believe they are new and I enjoyed them. One very old High School looking bathroom was strange but other than that fine. When the hotel catered breakfast, however, they only put out one table and the lines were up to a half hour long. This may be the fault of the conference committee, though.

There is a lot to do at the Homestead and it is a truly beautiful, relaxing place. If they work on some of these problems I think they can remain the excellent resort they have been for most of their history.

Stayed March 2008
Washington DC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2008

For the price that my husband and I paid (found a deal on travelzoo for $189 for a preferred resort room), I enjoyed the experience at the Homestead. If I find another deal like this, we may go again but the resort is not worth more than that. Overall, I found the Homestead to be fair (you get what you pay for) but not generous that guests felt pampered. It is not comparable to a four or five star resort.

The property is lush and beautiful. It was very crowded during Easter weekend but it is such a large property with so many sitting rooms, it is easy to find a nook to read, relax or play a game of chess/checkers, games which can be found everywhere.

The staff was polite, efficient, and accommodating. They accommodated a late checkout and waived a valet charge because the parking lots were full. However, the resort felt understaffed and everything felt rushed. There was only one person at the concierge at any time helping walk-ups and answering telephone calls so there was always a wait. When I did get a chance to ask my question, the answer was rushed and short (no additional information was offered) and little chance for follow-up before she picked up the phone again.

Parking is limited. There is a small parking lot up the hill and another one behind the Homestead. The lots were full when we checked in so we were forced to valet. I spoke to the front desk and they waived this charge.

Guest Room: We were on the 4th floor in the West Wing (which is the closest to the spa, indoor swimming pool, and Sam Sneads Tavern). The views are okay but nothing spectacular. The rooms were small and dated (heating/AC unit looked old and rusty, windows did not lock and close properly) and the bathroom was cramped. But it was clean.

Dining Room: Sam Sneads was booked so we ate in the Main Dining Room. The service was friendly but rushed. The food was not five-star but better than expected. $80 flat fee per person plus tax plus 17% service charge. They are VERY serious about the dress code for men. It is jacket and tie – no exceptions. We were not expecting to eat there and did not bring a jacket and tie, although my husband was in a nice pair of slacks and a collared sweater. They lent him a jacket and tie to eat there. 1766 is $80 plus $35 additional fee plus tax plus 17% service charge. There is no where else to eat on the resort. You can drive to Cucci’s, John’s Steakhouse, Country Café, or Gristmill Restaurant in Warm Springs or take a shuttle there for $10 per person. The concierge has menus for all of these places so you can make reservations. For more causal dining, next to Sam Sneads, we saw Lindseys Bar and Grill and a deli which has Subway sandwiches. Breakfast is less formal. Among other things, there was a pancake and omelet station and a variety of fresh fruit.

Jefferson Pools: $18 per person and there is a shuttle that leaves every hour on the half hour from the resort. 12-1pm is co-ed time. The bath is in a run down shack with changing rooms around the pool. The bottom of the pool is graveled. The place was a little grimy but we had a great time. Water was warm (although it did not feel like 98 degrees) and it was quite relaxing. The sulfur is not overpowering. Ladies pool is 5 feet deep and the men’s pool is 7 feet deep. Because there is no swimming allowed, there are noodles around the pool to keep you afloat.

Other facilities: Ping Pong room had one table with a crushed ball, swimming pool was completely overrun with kids (adult swim is for one hour in the morning), and the bowling alley was $10 per game. The free movies were old ones but they served free popcorn and soda. There were lots of activities for kids and it would look fun to bring an extended family here for vacation.

• Liked — Jefferson Pools, common areas, and lush surroundings
  • Disliked — Mandatory service fee; all activities cost extra
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to The Omni Homestead Resort? Share your experiences!