“A nice getaway” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Lynchburg, Virginia
“A nice getaway”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

Came here as part of a marriage retreat weekend getaway sponsored by work. Overall I was pleased. The only down sides was that a lot of construction going on with their pools and hot springs which was disappointing. The pools that were open were nice.

The room was great. The only complaint I had with the room was the wallpaper was peeling. Other than that I was a big fan of the soap. It smelled like cinnamon. Pretty nice.

The food here is expensive but good. Oh, and Everything in that area closes by 9 -10 at night. We didn't realize this and were wandering around desperate for food. Finally the waitress hooked us up and got us a ham and cheese sandwich and turkey and cheese. It costs around $35 which was a bit much. Fortunately the sandwiches were huge and came with chips and potato salad.

Overall, don't eat there but go somewhere else before 9. We had a great stay and would go again.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
HomesteadResort, General Manager at The Omni Homestead Resort, responded to this review, April 5, 2013
Thank you for sharing comments from your recent stay at The Homestead. We hope you will visit us in the future once our renovations are complete. In addition to the new heated outdoor family pool, our new Canyon Ranch SpaClub when it debuts in a few weeks will offer a stunning Spa Garden, an adults-only haven that welcomes guests year-round. Guests may take a dip in the natural hot springs in the centuries-old octagon pool. The Spa Garden will also feature a river rock reflexology path, spring-fed pool and whirlpool, Finnish-style sauna, cabanas, and naturally-pressurized geothermal deluge showers. New restaurants will soon be opening as well. We look forward to welcoming you back again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (413)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

My partner attended the VAM Conference here March 9th - 11th. I decided to tag along for a getaway spa weekend from DC. The hotel is beautiful - a glimpse into a bygone era of the privileged and wealthy. The drive through Bath County, VA to The Homestead was spectacular. A truly beautiful part of the state! Our arrival was fine - our car was valeted and luggage taken for us. The check-in process was efficient, though the desk attendant seemed a bit flustered by two men sharing a room. Our luggage arrived in our room quickly following the check-in process. The room was beautiful, clean and spacious.

That evening, we were meeting two of my partner's colleagues for dinner at Sam Sneads. Due to the spa construction, we were encouraged to take the shuttle from the hotel to the restaurant. We were told it ran every 5 minutes. After a 15 minute wait, we asked the bellman how much longer we would have to wait as we were now late for meeting our dinner companions. Another shuttle arrived and the bellman asked the driver to take us (as well as others who had been waiting) to Sam Sneads. He did so reluctantly. The drive was all of 3 minutes. I am not sure how or why there could have been such a significant delay. Upon arrival at Sam Sneads, we were seated with our companions, who had already ordered a drink and appetizer. The waiter never approached our table to take a drink order from us. After 15 minutes (a theme at The Homestead), he approached the table to take our orders. We placed the orders and had to remind him that we had not been offered a beverage to start. No apology - just took the information and walked away. The food was fine, but at no point did our waiter ever return to see how we were enjoying the meal, if we would like anything else (another glass of wine), etc. He only returned with the dessert menu. When we declined, he brought us the check. Truly disappointing service considering the price and prestige of The Homestead. (Note: we returned to Sam Sneads once more during our stay and sat at the bar to eat - service was attentive and much improved!).

The dinner at Sam Sneads seemed to be reflected in the rest of our service experiences during our stay. We had breakfast two morning in the main dining room. Service was passive both days. We had to ask for coffee, napkins, silverware, etc. At no point did the server ask if we needed anything, ask how we were enjoying the meal, etc. Unfortunately, there are no other dining options in Hot Springs (except a Subway Sandwich shop), so you are at the mercy of the resort.

Upon check-out, we asked to have our bags stored until we were ready to depart. The bellman was standing in the front entrance with his hands in his pockets. He walked by us twice before we had to approach him. He didn't offer to take our bags, put them on a cart or give us a ticket. He simply said: "Ya, you can put them over there" - pointing to a spot along the terrace. This attitude didn't provide a sense that our belongings would be watched or secured. When we did depart, the bellman finally put our bags on a cart and attempted to assist us. His lack of polish and attention to customer service are beneath a hotel of this alleged quality.

I did go to the spa one afternoon. Since I had read the reviews on TripAdvisor prior to our visit, I was fully aware of the construction. I do commend the hotel and spa staff for attempting to make a spa-like atmosphere from a wing of guest rooms. My massage and facial were very enjoyable. Though I do believe the price was high ($110 each for 50 minutes) for the service.

In the end, I thought the property and surrounding area are beautiful. However, the lackluster customer service in all hotel venues would not make me choose to return to The Homestead. Given that the property has a facade of being a high-end resort, I expect the exceptional customer service that goes along with it.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for sharing the positives and negatives of your visit. It is our goal to provide each guest with a first-class experience and Southern hospitality. We value input from our guests and use all comments as tools for training and improvement. We hope you will return to The Homestead again in the future and experience our new Canyon Ranch SpaClub and other enhancements.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

We were very excited to visit The Homestead, we were looking for a short get-away (from D.C.) and this looked like a great escape. The hotel itself is beautiful, with an array of amenities and activities for any family.

The construction made things a little less comfortable/aesthetic. For example, the spa was temporarily relocated in some random wing of the hotel, so when I went for my massage it was a difficult to find. I wasn't the only one having a hard time, everywhere I went I saw people trying to find their way around. The gym was also relocated to a huge conference or ball room of sorts, making it again, less aesthetic. These are unfortunately the challenges of construction and property maintenance, so I can throw them a bone on this one. However It was a little disappointing to pay $150 for a 50 minute massage, with no hot tub or steam room or any of the typical amenities you get when you pay a high price for spa services.

What I can't excuse is the TERRIBLE service. I was shocked. If this hotel wants to attract high-end clientel and compete with some of the top hotels in the country, they need a 'service' boot camp for their employees. It seemed no one cared to do anything (or know anything) outside of their own specific job description. It seemed laziness has overtaken the work culture here. A few examples: We ordered room service daily, and would place our table outside our door as soon as we finished, even with call for a pick-up, our dishes would sit there all day (which eventually overtook the entrance with day-old food odors). Again, when ordering room service, we actually had one of the employees CIRCLE the 'gratuity' line on the bill right in front of us, before handing it to us to sign, even though a 17% service charge is automatically added to the bill. The lady at the concierge was snotty and impersonable, which is the exact wrong job for someone like her, since it's the job description of concierge to be informed, welcoming, and accommodating- we displaced the room service menu it's like there's a premium on those things- she couldn't seem to round one up for us (or care to) for the life of her. Her overall demeanor was snotty and indifferent. When calling room service to order a kids' dish for our daughter, I simply asked if they could list the five or six items on the menu so I could pick one, the lady on the phone couldn't seem to manage that she just said there were 'too many to list'. Really? On a kids menu? Finally I asked if they have something like chicken fingers and she said 'yes', so I just went with that.

God, I could go on, but I need to stop, since so one wants to read an essay for a review. I never write reviews, this is the very first once. Ever. I was just so disappointed and had to get this off my chest. We are currently still here, and leaving tomorrow, I doubt we'll ever return because of the service. There are too many other resorts competing with this place that are willing to provided wonderful service to their guests.

In a nutshell, the hotel is beautiful and there are a lot of activities that are bound to please any family. But don't expect good service, no matter how much they charge.

Room Tip: We splurged and stayed in the tower part of the hotel. My husband read it was the nicest part of the...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for visiting The Homestead. We appreciate you taking the time to post your review and for being so candid in your remarks. We understand you were disappointed with the renovations in process and with some of the service you received. We sincerely apologize for our shortcomings during your visit and for not meeting your expectations of impeccable service. Be assured your comments will be used as a tool for training purposes and improvement. We hope you will reconsider visiting us again once our Canyon Ranch SpaClub at The Homestead is complete as we would welcome an opportunity to provide you with the legendary Southern hospitality for which we are so well known.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

We got a living social package deal for the Homestead and had a great time. The rooms are cozy and comfortable (though ours had a plasticky bed cover under the sheets that we could have done without) and the bathrooms spotless. We had a lot of fun just exploring this giant building. The outdoor heated, natural springs pool was lovely. We were there while they were reconstructing the gym and spa area, so the gym was in a random conference room. Though the equipment was fine, the setting left something to be desired. I'm excited to go back once the remodel is complete. I highly recommend the afternoon tea (included in your reservation) to live piano music. Breakfast was amazing and the value was good since it was included in our package. Other meals at the resort restaurants were ok, but nothing special (there'a great pizza place a few miles away that I would definitely recommend). I think we got our monies' worth with the package deal but I don't know that I would have paid full price for our stay.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
We are delighted you took advantage of a special and visited The Homestead recently. We are pleased to hear you enjoyed our new outdoor heated pool that is now open year-round. Our new Canyon Ranch Spa Club will be debuting in a few weeks and will have a new extensive fitness area which will include cardio and weight room as well as studios for yoga, Pilates, cycling, dance and exercise classes. Specialty wellness options, under the direction of the on-site exercise physiologist, include Rx for Exercise, Target Heart Rate Determination and Fitness Assessments. The SpaClub’s nutritionist will lead one-on-one and group sessions such as Fastest Meals Imaginable and Lifetime Nutrition. Our renovation project also includes new restaurant venues and menus. Now that you know about our resort, we hope you will visit us again soon!
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

I visited The Homestead recently as part of a conference. It is a beautiful historic location, and I enjoyed sitting in the Great Hall drinking tea (the piano playing was excellent), but with the massive construction projects (we can only hope that the overall upkeep and cleaning/food prep issues will get better once they are done) and unappealing conference food, our stay was less than what I would call standard for a location of its former quality. The staff were very accommodating when asked for assistance. The bellmen and parking employees did a great job and were very well organized. Unfortunately, other issues made the visit less than expected. The "hot" food at the reception was lukewarm and appeared as if someone had opened a bag of frozen appetizers and threw them in the pan. It was messy looking and not at all worth eating. The ham biscuit appetizer was ice cold as if it had been taken straight from the fridge. Breakfast was not much better with overcooked scrambled eggs in a wrap with what appeared to be extremely tiny bits of sausage. I took one bite and threw it away. Looking for a banquet employee when we arrived, I stepped into the back area of the conference and it smelled so bad (like decaying food) I had to leave quickly, feeling very ill. We were told that the spa services while the spa was being constructed were great, but after looking at it, we decided it was definitely not worth the price with no spa facilities available. The point of paying the higher price would be to use a steam room, sauna, pool, etc. I can receive an excellent massage without spa facilities at home at less than half the price!
It is a shame to see such a beautiful place go the way of other aging poorly managed hotels, poor quality, cleaning standards and (at this point) poor upkeep of the facilities.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your feedback. It is good to know you enjoyed our location, afternoon tea in the Great Hall and the hospitality of our staff. As you can tell from your stay with us, we are in the midst of a $25 million restoration and enhancement to our historic resort. We are working to complete these projects with the least amount of inconvenience to our guests. We apologizes we did not meet your expectations in the food category and our Culinary Department will be using your comments as tools for improvement. We look forward to welcoming you back once our Canyon Ranch SpaClub and new restaurants open in the coming weeks so we may show you a truly great Homestead experience.
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

It is a little difficult to get there, but once you do you will love this old world charm. The hotel is beautiful and the rooms are amazing. They are so clean and the staff is wonderful. My kids learned to ski on the slopes and it was perfect for beginning skiers. There was a free shuttle to and from the hotel. It was easy to rent all your skiing needs and a nice lodge to eat lunch or get a hot drink. We will be going back again next winter! The spa was being worked on so there was not much pampering on the property. However, the spa will be amazing when it opens in the spring.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
HomesteadResort, General Manager at The Omni Homestead Resort, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Wow! Thank you for your wonderful endorsement! It sounds like you had a magical winter visit to The Homestead. We’ve had an awesome ski season this year. As a matter of fact, we have extended the ski season to March 30th. We agree our new Canyon Ranch SpaClub will be amazing when it debuts later this spring. We invite you back to experience it and look forward to welcoming you back next winter if not before!
Jonesborough, Tennessee
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

Just returned from a long weekend at The Homestead, where family has been visting reqularly for 15 years. Not sure if caused by construction, but the typical and touted "unequaled hospitality" is gone. Front desk, concierge, and Sam Snead's Tavern staff seemed to use construction as an excuse, not a challenge to be overcome. Example- over one hour wait for food after ordering at Sam Sneads - kitchen problem likely caused by a revamped menu (no reasons given, just my guess). Example - front desk refusal (after three requests) to arrange Great Hall fireplace fire, since "the fireplace was just cleaned" (it was snowing outside, I think for over $250 pp/pn a little fireplace ash would be OK). No one, especially the concierge, seemed to know how to address malfunctioning doors or elevators. Here's hoping management can get staff attention, hospitality starts inside.

Room Tip: Consider waiting until after outdoor spa is completed.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for being a repeat visitor of The Homestead. We appreciate you taking the time to post your review and for being so candid in your remarks. We sincerely apologize for our shortcomings and for not meeting your expectations. We hope you will visit us once our renovations are complete as we would welcome the opportunity to provide you with the legendary service that you have come to expect from us.

Been to The Omni Homestead Resort? Share your experiences!