“wonderful resort with two weak areas” 5 of 5 stars

The Omni Homestead Resort
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   7696 Sam Snead Highway, Hot Springs, VA 24445   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
12% Off! Book Now & Save.
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Hot Springs
GreenLeadersBronze level
“wonderful resort with two weak areas”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2008

I spent a weekend at the Homestead with my daughter who is in college nearby. I hesitated booking a few times after reading some of the reviews, but other parents at her school highly recommended the Homestead, and with 2 exceptions, housekeeping and food, the stay was wonderful. I gave the resort 5 stars, as I believe these areas can be corrected,and management seemed very willing to listen to complaints and correct them asap. We stayed in a Preferred Resort room, and had a nice view. The room was very clean. The bathroom, as noted, was small, but I did not expect the Ritz Carlton. This is an old Southern resort that is very well-maintained. The A/C was not working properly, and after I complained, was fixed very quickly. The same cannot be said for housekeeping, which had failed to service our room by 3:30 pm Sat. I complained again, and management very thoughtfully handled this problem by sending me a nice fruit basket and getting the room serviced. The problem, I think, is that some of the housekeeping and service staff is comprised of people from other countries on short term visas who cannot speak or understand English well. I would think this could be addressed with better supervision and training. We ran into this problem again at dinner in the main dining room. That however, leads me to the other weak area-food. We had a nice lunch at the Casino and very good dinner at Sam Snead's Tavern Friday(hostess and waiters/waitresses were very personable and fine at their job). However, dinner in the Dining Room was subpar and not worth the price. My daughter's dish, an etouffe combination, was cold and the meat raw. On hindsight, I should have booked the more upscale Grill, where the food is probably not mass produced as in the Dining Room, or eaten again at Snead's. Afternoon tea was a little expensive, but lovely. For breakfast we had room service and it came promptly. I would suggest that the full breakfast, which was about $30.00, was more than enough for 2 people. There was a pleasant coffee shop near the Library for coffees, sodas, and newspapers. Other than the dining room food and housekeeping, the resort was excellent. My daughter had a top snotch skeet lesson. We both enjoyed the spa whose prices were only a little more than the ones at home. If we had wanted, we could have used the facilities all day. The President's Lounge has gorgeous views and the staff there was great. The stores on site were nice to explore- bought some soaps and earrings for my daughter. Prices were not out-of-line and staff in the stores were charming and helpful. The Resort itself is beautiful. I would compare it to Skytop, which I stayed at several yrs ago, but the Homestead was far superior. If we had had more time, we could have canoed or kayaked, or gone horseback riding or used the Indoor Pool or taken a golf lesson. I certainly would return to the Homestead. Special kudos to John the manager and Vicky the concierge. Both really wanted to make sure guests enjoyed their visit. I highly commend both of them. The ride from the Philly area is about 6 - 6 1/2 hours, or you can fly into Roanoke and there is ground transportation. I think this would be a great choice for families from the Pa/NY/NJ area to consider .

• Liked — personable, helpful staff, esp. Vicky and John; facilities
  • Disliked — dining room food and housekeeping
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Alexandria, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2008

The Homestead resort hotel is a high class facility with lots of amenities, top notch service and deeped in history. I loved the overall experience, especially given that I booked it for a stay in April when they discount their rooms 50%. My disappointment was in my dining experience though. We paid top dollar for The Dining Room reservation for dinner for my wife and I, despite the top quality service and ambiance, we received very disappointing food. My Kobe Steak was over-cooked to well done, when the menu said medium rare. I reordered it again. It wasn't very good quality either. My wife's 'chicken fried steak?' was not very tasty and also not very good quality. The truth is that we are not really picky eaters either, so it takes alot for us to complain. On the other hand, breakfast was devine.

• Liked — The atmosphere
  • Disliked — Food
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Arlington, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2008

My wife and I stayed here for a conference as the room rate was too good an opportunity to pass up on. Our first time at a resort, and staying in a hotel with a dress code, and I was cost concious but found lots of ways to make staying at the Homestead a relatively wallet friendly exercise. On arrival the doormen were very helpful, but they are quite happy to let you grab a cart and take your luggage up to your room by yourself. Park yourself in one of the two parking lots just up the hill from the front entrance, or in the valet lot on the road towards the stables, and avoid stumbling for a valet tip.

The pool is included and completely wonderful. Ask for a locker key at the spa shop desk. The light filled covered walkway connecting the hotel to the spa has big windows, cushioned seating with lots of fluffy pillows, which is above the heating vents. A wonderful place to spend time reading in the afternoon rain or shine. There are some lovely walks in the grounds of the hotel.

The exit by the pool changing rooms is right across the road from warm springs main street. A short walk brings you to a well stocked, reasonably priced ABC store, a 7-11 for breakfast milk, banks with ATM's, and Lindsay's Roost Bar & Grill, a friendly diner serving inexpensive down home food.

While my wife relaxed in the spa (our splurge for the trip), I took the free shuttle up to the shooting range. Basic skeet and trap packages start from about $85, or if like me you haven't shot since you were 14 try your luck on the .22 range for $18 for a box of 50 cartridges. A spotting scope mounted on a table means you can check your aim without having to walk to the end of the range.

Our room had a lovely light filled alcove with a chaise longue, fluffy bathrobes, and big television. But the free nightly movies in the theater, meeting up with my wifes colleagues, and banquet we attended, meant we only needed to turn on the TV once in the morning to check the weather. We enjoyed our stay here very much, and exploring this lovely part of Virginia.

Stayed March 2008
2 Thank Dewey101
Arlington, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2008

I was at the Homestead in March for a conference. Overall I enjoyed my experience, especially for the discount rate we were given as part of the conference. A lot of little things, however, added up to make the stay not as great as other resorts.

Check-In: We found it very difficult to get help and had to track-down valet and bell-hop services. Once we'd done that the front-desk told us our room wasn't ready but that everything was fine. When we did go to get the keys to the room, a different person was helping us and was completely confused by our reservation and took 20 minutes to straighten it out.

Room: The room was very pleasant. Nice spacious bathrooms and bathtubs. Soft white towels and big sinks. The bed was very comfy. Do not, I repeat, do not use their rollaways. The first night I slept in a rollaway in a collegues room because the hotel was booked. It was among the worst sleep I've ever gotten. Homestead would do well to invest in new rollaways.

Activities: All of the activities seemed nice, while I only really took advantage of the hiking. The South Trail is a nice way to see the resort grounds, while the more difficult Deer-Lick Trail offers amazing hillltop views.

Spa: I had a mixed experience. The staff was very friendly and the facilities were clean and large. I enjoyed the relaxation room and I loved the raspberry tea. The room where I had my facial, however, was extremely cold. Additionally, my facial did not include an extraction, which both I and a friends were expecting as a part of the $160 experience. I've only had one other facial, but it was much better.

Food: The worst part about Homestead. I ate at the Casino twice and Sam Snead's once. Both were overpriced bland, and at some level bad, food. The service was average. The tea in the Great Hall was the one thing I enjoyed. I recommend the Roost join in town which was cheap diner food but so much better.

Conference Facilities: I believe they are new and I enjoyed them. One very old High School looking bathroom was strange but other than that fine. When the hotel catered breakfast, however, they only put out one table and the lines were up to a half hour long. This may be the fault of the conference committee, though.

There is a lot to do at the Homestead and it is a truly beautiful, relaxing place. If they work on some of these problems I think they can remain the excellent resort they have been for most of their history.

Stayed March 2008
1 Thank salex19
Washington DC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2008

For the price that my husband and I paid (found a deal on travelzoo for $189 for a preferred resort room), I enjoyed the experience at the Homestead. If I find another deal like this, we may go again but the resort is not worth more than that. Overall, I found the Homestead to be fair (you get what you pay for) but not generous that guests felt pampered. It is not comparable to a four or five star resort.

The property is lush and beautiful. It was very crowded during Easter weekend but it is such a large property with so many sitting rooms, it is easy to find a nook to read, relax or play a game of chess/checkers, games which can be found everywhere.

The staff was polite, efficient, and accommodating. They accommodated a late checkout and waived a valet charge because the parking lots were full. However, the resort felt understaffed and everything felt rushed. There was only one person at the concierge at any time helping walk-ups and answering telephone calls so there was always a wait. When I did get a chance to ask my question, the answer was rushed and short (no additional information was offered) and little chance for follow-up before she picked up the phone again.

Parking is limited. There is a small parking lot up the hill and another one behind the Homestead. The lots were full when we checked in so we were forced to valet. I spoke to the front desk and they waived this charge.

Guest Room: We were on the 4th floor in the West Wing (which is the closest to the spa, indoor swimming pool, and Sam Sneads Tavern). The views are okay but nothing spectacular. The rooms were small and dated (heating/AC unit looked old and rusty, windows did not lock and close properly) and the bathroom was cramped. But it was clean.

Dining Room: Sam Sneads was booked so we ate in the Main Dining Room. The service was friendly but rushed. The food was not five-star but better than expected. $80 flat fee per person plus tax plus 17% service charge. They are VERY serious about the dress code for men. It is jacket and tie – no exceptions. We were not expecting to eat there and did not bring a jacket and tie, although my husband was in a nice pair of slacks and a collared sweater. They lent him a jacket and tie to eat there. 1766 is $80 plus $35 additional fee plus tax plus 17% service charge. There is no where else to eat on the resort. You can drive to Cucci’s, John’s Steakhouse, Country Café, or Gristmill Restaurant in Warm Springs or take a shuttle there for $10 per person. The concierge has menus for all of these places so you can make reservations. For more causal dining, next to Sam Sneads, we saw Lindseys Bar and Grill and a deli which has Subway sandwiches. Breakfast is less formal. Among other things, there was a pancake and omelet station and a variety of fresh fruit.

Jefferson Pools: $18 per person and there is a shuttle that leaves every hour on the half hour from the resort. 12-1pm is co-ed time. The bath is in a run down shack with changing rooms around the pool. The bottom of the pool is graveled. The place was a little grimy but we had a great time. Water was warm (although it did not feel like 98 degrees) and it was quite relaxing. The sulfur is not overpowering. Ladies pool is 5 feet deep and the men’s pool is 7 feet deep. Because there is no swimming allowed, there are noodles around the pool to keep you afloat.

Other facilities: Ping Pong room had one table with a crushed ball, swimming pool was completely overrun with kids (adult swim is for one hour in the morning), and the bowling alley was $10 per game. The free movies were old ones but they served free popcorn and soda. There were lots of activities for kids and it would look fun to bring an extended family here for vacation.

• Liked — Jefferson Pools, common areas, and lush surroundings
  • Disliked — Mandatory service fee; all activities cost extra
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
2 Thank mswoojie
Washington, DC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2008

This hotel claims they are four star/five diamond. The service and condition of the htoel are anything but. The valet and bell staff were helpful, however upon arrival we found the front desk staff to be indifferent. Despite paying for a preferred room with a resort view, we were initially given a small room, with an old tv that overlooked the front parking area and was next to the ice machine. When we complained, we were told there were no other rooms available, eventhough the website said otherwise. They finally found another for us and after 20 minutes the bellman showed up and took us to our new room, which was a little bigger and had a newer LCD TV. The bellman did not bring new keys nor our luggage with him, so I had to return to the front desk and get new keys. The first set did not work, so I had to return to the front desk again and get new keys made. Upon returning to the front desk, I was accused of holding them next to my cell phone or credit cards resulting in the keys being deactivated. This was not the case as I kept the keys out of my pockets and in the paper folder. The second set worked fine. The carpets in the room looked a little worn, but the carpet in the hallways was even worse, stained, dirty, and wrinkled throughout the hotel. I actually tripped on the wrinked carpet more than once.

Be warned, Room service and the restaurants are definitely overpriced. We were not on the meal plan, and room service for a burger, kids spaghetti, cheese pizza, two shrimp cocktails and three soft drinks totaled $130 after the mandatory $5 per person delivery charge (yes $15 delivery charge for my wife, daughter and myself) and 17,5% gratuity were added to the check. On the second night we decided to have dinner in the dinning room, since we weren't on a meal plan, I inquired about the cost and was told by a Maitre'd and hostess that it would per $80 per adult and $30 per child plus taxes and mandatory gratuity. I also confirmed this same information by calling in-house reservations from my cell phone. $190 for two adults and a child (9 yo) is steep, but my wife really wanted to eat there.

Upon being shown to our table, my wife attempted to pull out her chair and the top of the chair came off. All the chairs at our table were really wobbly and I worried that they would fall apart at any moment. My daughter took a sip of water from her glass and cut her lip a little bit, as the glass was chipped. The waitress apologized for both occurences and was excellent and very attentive throughout the meal. The somelier came and we ordered a bottle of wine. She delivered it and we never saw her again. We had to refill our own glasses throughout the meal. The food itself was excellent, and up until that point, we had really enjoyed our stay inspite of the other shortcomings. At the end of the meal, I was presented with the bill, and was surprised to find that we had been charged $45 for my daughter's hamburger, fruit and desert. I really hate being lied too! When I went up front to protest, and told another maitre'd that we had been told the children's meal would be $30 by the hostess and different maitre'd, he shrugged his shoulders and said, "No its $45 and they were misinformed." When I told him, I would like the bill adjusted since two of his staff were misinformed he refused and said there was nothing he could do. When I asked for a manager, he again refused and said,"If you have that much of a problem with $15 perhaps you shouldn't be staying at The Homestead." I stood there dumbfounded and again asked for manager, either from the restaurant or hotel. The maitre'd again refused and said if I still had a problem I could take it up with the front desk, but he could not and would not summon a manager. I then had to walk to the from dinning room to the front desk (a good distance pass the resort shops and great hall) and asked them to summon the manager on duty to the dinning room. The MOD came and I told her everything. She was fairly new to the resort, but resolved the matter satisfactorily. But again this entire exchange should not have happened at a resort that claims to be 4 star/5 diamond.

Overall our stay was okay, bu the incident with the Dinning Room really soured it. We will definitely think twice before staying at The Homestead again.

• Liked — Mountains and surrounding scenery
  • Disliked — Condition of hotel interior
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Firedude69
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2008

We booked for a 3-day weekend in early March because I received a sale promotion from Hotwire. We went with another couple and they checked in first. We asked to be roomed near each other (i.e. adjoining rooms), which they did NOT accomodate even though the hotel was near empty the day we checked in. We also asked for an upgrade and we did nget it. Our room was very nice with a balcony ad great view of the front of the hotel. Our package included breakfast and I did not understand that dinners could have been included, so we just paid "ala carte" for dinners. Imagine our shock when we got our bill at the Grille (over $300 for 2). And then the next evening at the dining room (almost $300 for 2). We decided that we weren't going to let these outrageous amounts ruin our 3-day weekend. We enjoyed our spa treatments and the facillties, And everyone of the employees were very friendly and helpful. We will return again, but now that we know what they charge for dinner, we will most likely have dinner at Sam Sneads and other local restaurants. One final note - it is very nice, but it is not the Greenbrier.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hot Springs
Roseloe Motel
#2 of 2 in Hot Springs
4.5 of 5 stars 21 reviews
Holiday Inn Express Covington

Been to The Omni Homestead Resort? Share your experiences!