I always wanted to visit Homestead Resort , and this time I tried Groupon offer - 2 nights stay plus breakfast. I called resort to make a reservation and asked about upgrade to a room with a view, which was extra. We picked late November weekend for our trip, when main hotel and grounds were already decorated for Christmas. We arrived late Friday afternoon, and hotel stuff was very pleasant and attentive to us, we was helped with valet parking and our luggage has been delivered to our room. Room was a nice size, with 2 double beds, big storage closet and nicely decorated bath, we really liked old time style décor of the room and bath. Next morning we started with breakfast buffet and really enjoyed service and variety of hot and cold breakfast choices. Restaurant tableware sets resembled a style from old days, which was a nice detail.
After breakfast me and my son decided to try some ice skating, we paid extra for a rent and a block of skating time, which I think could be included into resort fee for guests. Heated outdoor pool was very nice and clean, but we decided do not use it. We went to check out an indoor pool, located at the spa section of the resort; spa was under renovation and pool was cold and all changing rooms were closed. I ended up booking a massage for my husband, which he liked. We stopped by the guest service desk and reserved a carriage ride for the same evening, it was extra as well for adult, small kids were free. The weather that day was very sunny and a little cold, so we decided to go to a playground, I liked that playground was big and my son liked all slides there. Playground located next to kids camp, where parent could leave kids for a day or half, camp room looks nice with a lot of toys, but we didn’t use that option. We visited gift shops and I really like a shop with Christmas décor, located outside, there were a large variety of Christmas ornaments and prices was OK. When my son took a nap, I went downstairs for an afternoon tea. The lines for tea and cookies were long, but I got lucky to be in front. Enjoyed tea time and some piano music! Same day at the afternoon we took a carriage ride, it brought us up the hills and woods, we could see resort from far distance, we made a stop at the ski area and made s’mores and hot cocoa. Hot drink worked good as the weather became chilly. We enjoyed the ride, extra layer of clothing would keep us warm. After arriving back to the resort we decided to check out a movie theater, which was showing a Christmas movie, there were 2 more people at the theater with us. I liked old style of movie theater, but a movie selection that evening wasn’t the best and my son got bored very fast. So we returned to our room and watched TV.
Next morning we started with breakfast buffet again, when walked around resort ground, stopped at the library, gift shops, etc. It was our last day at the resort. We checked out and drove back home. We took some small country roads an way back a scenery was beautiful.
We enjoyed our stay, even with limited selection of winter resort activities during that time. I wished a spa and indoor pool renovation would be completed. We definitely like to go back late spring or summer time and include hiking and other outdoor activities into our trip.
I like a history of Homestead Resort, quest s can find a lot of historic facts at the first floor library, full of old photographs , books and memorabilia items. We knew that resort is on ‘haunted resorts’ list and actually some of personnel shared their ‘ghost encounters' with us, we even stayed at a floor below the ‘haunted’ floor, which was cool and a little mysterious same time.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Open since 1766, The Omni Homestead is one of America's most storied resorts, offering unparalleled hospitality and southern charm in a 2,000-acre setting within the Allegheny Mountains of southwestern Virginia. Renowned for its natural hot springs, The Homestead is distinguished by 483 luxurious guest rooms and suites, 72,000 square feet of meeting space, a wide array of fine and casual dining choices, an expansive spa, championship golf courses that include one of the nation's finest mountain courses (The Cascades), Allegheny Springs, a two-acre family-friendly water attraction complete with lazy river, water slides and water play zone. The resort also offers the South's first downhill ski area, an Equestrian Center, top-rated Shooting Club, archery, canoeing, falconry, Segway tours and a wealth of other recreational attractions. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets and Jetsetter so you can book your The Omni Homestead Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Homestead Hotel Hot Springs
- Homestead Hotel Hot Springs
- Homestead Va
- Homestead Hot Springs Virginia
- Homestead Hot Springs Va
- Homestead Resort Hot Springs