“Homestead 1766 Exceeded Our Expectations” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Hot Springs
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersBronze level
Buffalo, New York
“Homestead 1766 Exceeded Our Expectations”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2012

We vacationed at the Homestead the early part of May. From check in to check out our stay was perfection. There are so many examples of how great the staff treated us during our visit this review would end up being way too long. Here are just a few of the folks who really stood out to us. Jen one of the concierges was great she helped arrange activities, change dinner arrangements and she did it all with a smile. Andy our canoe guide and Jeff who guided us on our Cascades Gorge Tour deserve mention. All the waiters, the ladies who made up our room, the spa staff did everything they could to make our stay enjoyable and stress free, they aim to please. We requested additional wash cloths one evening and within 5 min they were delivered to our room. The room was will furnished, very clean and the bed was very comfortable. Make sure you bring your camera the hotel and grounds offer many photo opportunities. There is outdoor construction going on but for the most part you’re unaware of it and it didn’t affect our stay. The indoor pool area is remarkable as well as the banquet rooms shattered throughout the property. Tea time was held in the Grand Hall Lobby it was a nice way to unwind from a full day of activities by having a snack kicking back and listening to piano music. Dinner in the Main dining room was excellent, a band was playing, the room itself is magnificent and the food was outstanding. As good as the Main Dining Room was the dining experience in the 1776 Grille surpassed any dining experience we ever encountered. The room is more intimate then the Main Dining Room with some dishes prepared tableside. The only change I would have made to our itinerary would have been not to have dinner at Sam Steeds but rather have dinner at the Casino Restaurant. Sam Stead’s is best suited as a place to have lunch or stop in to have a beer. Because the restaurants in the hotel are so over the top our dinner at Sam Stead’s was a major disappointment. We ate lunch every day at the Casino and it was great. Mentioned a lot about food but one last thought, the breakfast buffet will not disappoint. Will absolutely go back for another visit.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
TheHomesteadResort, Director of Marketing and Communications at The Omni Homestead Resort, responded to this review, June 6, 2012
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay at The Homestead. We’re glad that you enjoyed our wide array of activities and our first class dining options. We encourage you to return soon to experience our new spa garden, an adults-only outdoor sanctuary with our natural hot springs, geothermal mineral bath, river reflexology bed, and sauna opening in early August

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (450)
Oakton, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2012

We have been to the Homestead about 10 times in the last 20 years, and always have had great experiences. The staff knock themselves out to do anything for you from the housekeeping staff to the valets -- just everywhere. One thing that I think people forget when they stay is really directly handing a tip to someone who does anything for you, gets your car, goes out of the way, etc. I see people complain about the gratuities being included in some services, but it's done for a reason. People don't tip or tip well for exceptional service. I would watch as people would call for their cars; some $90,000 car pulls up and some expensive set of golf clubs is loaded in, and I see the valet given ONE DOLLAR. I look at this in light of how it must feel when one of the valets must feel to be given nothing or some pittance when they see all the money spent by guests. We aren't wealthy and we came from backgrounds where our families could barely afford to make ends meet at times. So, I think, yeah I can spend $10 on a beer or cocktail and not think twice about it. Thus, why not give it to someone who is working hard to keep you happy. It makes all the difference in the world to be generous, gracious and appreciative of those knocking themselves out for you. If you can afford to go to the Homestead, you can afford to be generous to the staff.

Our experience at the Homestead superb as always.

We found the food in the dining room great; the breakfast buffet is tremendous.

In this most recent visit, the 1766 wasn't too great, because it was understaffed that night. Those table side preparations take a considerable amount of time. The staff was competent, but stretched thin. Yes, this is a management issue, but these servers were knocking themselves out. So, again I keep things in perspective. Actually, my wife ordered Baked Alaska and it was doused with so much alcohol that it REALLY baked. We couldn't get the flame out fast enough, and it was a bit charred. Moslty, we thought is was kind of humorous really. The server was hurried and that's why it happened. We watched it all unfold. He returned embarrassed as my wife and I were separating the charred meringue, and pretty much laughing about the experience. He offered to replace it, and one of the managers rushed over as if the world were ending. All worried that our heads were going to explode over this.

We could see how frantic the situation was due to the understaffing and told them not to worry about it and that we could see how they were really stretched. You could see this look of relief on their faces that we didn't throw a tantrum over a burned piece of cake.

I'd be gleeful if the only problem that I had was an eternally flaming baked Alaska saved up at 5 star resort.

This review might be a little odd, but maybe it helps at times to step back and put situations in perspective. My wife and I feel fortunate to be able to stay at a place like the Homestead when there are people who can barely feed their own families.

The grounds are breathtaking; the food is great; the staff work hard; no shortage of activities exists; it's relaxing; the Jefferson Baths are historic. I could go on and on.

I guess it's what's called the "frame of reference". All our family could afford were camping trips in a leaky, Coleman canvas tent when I was a kid. How much am I going to complain about a "baked-up Alaska" at a 5 star resort where I would have never imagined being fortunate enough to visit?

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
TheHomesteadResort, Director of Marketing and Communications at The Omni Homestead Resort, responded to this review, June 4, 2012
We appreciate the feedback regarding your most recent stay at The Homestead. Our staff takes pride in providing first class customer service for each and every guest. We hope that you will return soon to experience our new spa garden, an adults-only outdoor sanctuary with a our natural hot springs, geothermal mineral bath, river reflexology bed, and sauna opening in early August.
Baltimore, Maryland, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2012

I was not impressed with this hotel. I'm by no means cheap, and this trip was mostly paid for by my employer, but for those of you who are paying your own freight, it will cost you a small fortune to stay, eat and enjoy the hotel. Of course, this is labeled as a luxury resort, so . . .. The problem is that, besides the property, the hotel is really no different from most other nice hotels at which I've stayed . . . and, literally, it's in the middle of nowhere. I know that many people come for that isolation, and we did enjoy it, but I'm not dying to go back after a 10 hour round trip by car. The property is beautiful, and the rooms are nice and clean. Off-premises restaurant choices are pretty much zilch, and meals at the hotel are really expensive. Likewise, the spa and all of the amenities are overpriced for what you get. It's hard to pay $200 for an average massage when you're used to paying a third of that at home for something better. A 1-hour horseback ride up and down a hill was $220 + tip for me and my wife, which was a nice treat but that was just one hour out of a 3-day stay. This would be a fine place to stay if you have money to burn.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2012

For many years we have been curious about the Homestead, and decided to visit this past weekend. Our expectations were to find a once lovely resort that would be tired and frayed. Wow, were we pleasantly surprised! Photos do not do justice to the beauty of the Homestead. Everything appeared to be in perfect repair and condition. Not only were the fabrics not frayed and tired as we expected, they were perfect. The new Lobby Bar is full of rich leather, the scent of which drew us right in. The grand lobby is magnificent and delightfully active at tea time, with the piano background. The dining room is magnificent. We thought the food was extremely good and the service was outstanding. Breakfast at the Homestead surpasses anything we have ever experienced. Worth the visit just for that. We would love to return and take advantage of the three beautiful golf courses, the equestrian center, the pools, and some of the many activities offered by the resort. This place is still at the top of its game.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Tower (new part - 1929) and loved the room and the view.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
TheHomesteadResort, Director of Marketing and Communications at The Omni Homestead Resort, responded to this review, May 30, 2012
We’re thrilled that you enjoyed your visit to The Homestead. The pools at our new Allegheny Springs water attraction just opened this past weekend and the lazy river and water slides will open later this summer. We hope that you plan another getaway soon so that you can experience even more of what The Homestead has to offer!
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2012

My husband and I just returned from the Homestead over the weekend of May 11-14, 2012. We chose this place to have a relaxing, quiet vacation to celebrate my birthday and Mother's Day, to enjoy the spa, and to reconnect with each other. We were taken in by the photos of the beautiful grounds, the "excellent food" and the idea of a service oriented resort who would lavish us in the lap of luxury. We drove 5 and a half hours through the Allegheny Mountains, on roads that took us through two national forests, and some of the most beautiful, rugged, rural terrain that the mid-Atlantic region has to offer.

By the time we got to the resort, we were taken back by the beauty of the place as we approached. However, in this case, appearances were deceiving.

Upon walking in, after getting over the grandeur of the great hall, I got the distinct impression we were being sized up as to our wealth and background. We checked in, and it was evident at that point that some guests were more important than others. We were told to go to the Concierge desk to get our reservation printouts, as everything required a reservation - even dining. At the same time, a very "preppy" WASP-ish couple were checking in also. I noticed they received, instantly, a key to the minibar, told about the resort, given a map and directions and a list of activities going on through the weekend, and multiple offers of help and advice.

We had our printout thrown at us, and were told nothing - not about the resort, not about the activities going on, and certainly not about where to find anything in the complex.

Upon going up to our small standard room (which had a great view - of a concrete roof), we found no pen, no map of the resort, and no breakfast menu. The wallpaper was peeling, and there were no shams on the bed. The pillows were yellowed and old and the bedding had old stains on it.

Still, we dressed and went down to dinner at the 1766 Grille. We were lead to a nice table with a great view. Service was slow, and our food was lukewarm. The tableside cooking was mostly ignored by the people who were receiving it, and the unenthusiastic efforts of the staff performing it was evident. At one point the waiter came over and asked if we had our desserts yet, when we had not received our main courses.

We retired to our room and woke up with backache from the rock-hard mattress. Our trip was about to take a distinct turn for the worse, though. While getting ready, my husband found a bed bug running around in our sheets. He grabbed it up in a napkin and took it downstairs to give to the manager.

At this point, I was ready to leave. The duty manager offered us an upgrade to a suite if we would stay: something that was supposedly offered with our package anyway, but we were not given it upon check in. Upon her assurance that the CFO of the Resort just checked out of there and it was bed bug free, we accepted. They took the bed bug and sent it to a 'lab' for analysis. She also sent up a bottle of Prosecco and six chocolate covered strawberries. This was the last contact with any management. The difference between the room below and above was staggering: Breakfast menu, a pen and paper in the room, shams on the bed and clean sheets and pillows. We had a view of the front of the resort, overlooking the lovely grounds.

At this point it was time for our spa experiences. The Spa facilities themselves are rather nice but a long walk away from the Great Hall. I felt bad for people whose rooms bordered along the main corridor where people were walking to and from the spa. A good tip for anyone above a size 20 is to bring your own robe, or spa outfit, as I did, as their robes will not fit properly.

When I came out I was told by the attendant just to sit and wait on the lower floor. I was not told about the showers or the upstairs lounges. I learned about them from the people behind me who came in, and were ushered in like royalty and told all about the shower facilities, and steam and sauna, and upstairs lounges. So I went upstairs to help myself to the more comfortable lounges. I was really getting the vibe that I was not wanted at this resort, from the looks the mainly 50+ clientele were giving me, to the attitudes of the staff, and the lack of help given to us throughout the stay.

The resort caters to, and welcomes one kind of client: 50+ genteel Southern old money and their families. They're happy to take your money otherwise, but don't expect on a warm welcome, good treatment, or service of any kind. I found out about their Living Social deal from others, and I feel bad for people who bought into this, as the resort is nowhere near diversified or cosmopolitan enough to welcome people of all sizes, shapes and races, nor do the old timers welcome you. I cannot remember the last time I felt so much of an outsider and unwelcome and pre-judged. Certainly not the sort of experience I wanted for my birthday, nor the experience we wanted for our first vacation in five years.

The food was bland, uninspired, and shortcuts were taken. It's obvious the ingredients were not local sourced, or farmed, which is a pity given all the lovely dairy and livestock farms around the place. Fresh seasonal food does not appear on the menu or anywhere at The Homestead. In the main dining room, half of the dishes have the same-tasting risotto. It would not surprise me to find it shipped in ready-made from Sysco and reheated. I felt like I was eating at a Kitchen Nightmare in the making.

In Summary:

Pros:

1. Jacob the reflexologist is an AWESOME person and very good at what he does. Highly recommended.

2. They have the best French pastry chef this side of France. Authentically done Pain au Chocolat at Martha's Market and croissants as good as in Paris.

3. The grounds are beautiful.

Cons:

1. If you are not to their set demographic you will experience rudeness, looks of distaste and disgust and prejudice from the concierge and staff

2. If you stay in a basic room, expect to be treated cheaply, have dirty linens, and watch out for bed bugs.

3. The food is bland, dated, insipid and uninspired with no emphasis on fresh, seasonal or locally available produce. It is certainly shipped in.

4. The resort 'nickle-and-dimes' you on everything with hidden service charges, gratuities and other expenses. Most of the fun activities are not included in a Homestead Your Way package and require an extra charge.

5. Martha's Market will sell you a "breakfast sandwich" for $6.00 that is a Jimmy Dean ham and egg muffin - and they have the audacity to leave the sticker on the package so you know you've been ripped off and it's not something fresh or made to order. The Sausage Biscuit is a no-name brand from Sysco. (Again, they leave the sticker on!)

6. The resort shops are utterly, shockingly, painfully overpriced and you have no alternative but to buy at their inflated prices if you need something (like a swim suit) as the nearest town with stores is over 20 miles away.

7. Service is non-existent if you are not to their demographic. No turn-down service at night. (honestly? I've had turn down on cruise ships and paid less for the trip than this weekend) Cheaper rooms are non-hygienic and not cleaned properly. Decor is peeling and chipped and well-worn. In cheaper rooms the window ledges have a coating of soot/dust on them. Carpets throughout the resort are threadbare and worn.

8. After finding a bed bug in our room, and the initial meeting with a manager, we were not contacted at any other time to find out how we were doing. An upgrade to a suite - when our package said we should have that anyway - is absolutely NOTHING for the misery and inconvenience and potential nightmare that a bed bug infestation causes. I am currently in the process of getting every single piece of clothing and luggage we took with us deep-cleaned to ensure we are not bringing eggs or larvae into our house.

They can't get the basics right, they hold on to an elitist attitude, and they are opening a water park in the hopes of attracting families and different kinds of guests? Honestly, if you can't even get the minor things right like clean rooms, equal and excellent service to all guests, good fresh food, and a well-maintained interior, you have no hopes of getting anyone but the gentrified old folks who have graced the halls from time immemorial - ESPECIALLY not expecting prices like $2400 for four nights in a standard room.

I feel utterly, completely ripped off, insulted, degraded and victimized by this "resort experience". I will never go back. Don't make the mistake of going there either.

PS: This dish is still proudly on display in the parlor - they don't hide their racism or racist past at all.

Room Tip: Take the basic rooms at your own peril.
Alexandria, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2012

We've been to the Homestead twice. Our first trip over Christmas was so enjoyable that we immediately booked a return trip. If I had written this review then, I would have said we had a 5-star experience. When we returned home we couldn't say enough positive things about the Homestead resort. We even convinced several friends to take their next trip to the Homestead.

On our return trip we enjoyed our stay until we ordered dinner in our room for our three year old who was staying in the room with a babysitter. The food arrived and was littered with black mold. Although the hotel immediately brought different food for my son, I was severely disappointed to receive moldy food from such an high-end resort.

I understand that accidents happen in large organizations, but this was inexcusable. In addition, I was largely disappointed with the hotel's response. Although they offered a free bottle of wine at dinner (which my pregnant wife could not enjoy) and a free dessert (which neither of us were interested in), we did not receive a genuine apology from anyone in management (we were told to contact the general manager when we checked out). We also thought it was strange that their attempt to remedy bad food, was by providing more food (my wife wasn't sure she wanted to eat anything from a kitchen that had already given us moldy food).

Unfortunately, although we'd love to return to the Homestead, the food options are so limited, that we are trepidatious to return because we're not sure what we'll get out of the kitchen.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2012

Went to the Homestead for 2 nights to celebrate my husband's birthday. Reservations were very helpful and booked us into a lovely room in the West Wing that had a porch where we spent much time. Getting there was an adventure as it was raining and it is all back roads. The hotel has good directions but should put how long you are on each road. We went off of 81 and it took an hour to get there. Check in was easy and the staff was super friendly. Loved our room. The mattress was thick and comfortable. We ate one night at Sam Snead and it was good. I had the trout which was very good. My husband had steak over pasta and he liked it. Th buffet breakfast was wonderful and so was dinner in the Dining Room. The waitstaff was friendly and knew us by name. We swam in the pool which was nice and went bowling. The only thing with bowling is that it costs $12 per person per game. That to me is steep!! We walked the grounds which were beautiful. We thoroughly enjoyed our visit and would return.

Room Tip: There is construction going on the next few mos. Try to get a room away from that. If you can get...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your visit to our resort. We strive to provide unmatched customer service and a wide array of dining venues and activities. It’s our goal to make your stay as relaxing as possible. We hope that you will return soon for your next getaway.

Been to The Omni Homestead Resort? Share your experiences!