“A Beautiful Fall Weekend Visit” 4 of 5 stars

Bed & Breakfast Special!
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Hot Springs
GreenLeadersBronze level
New York City, New York
“A Beautiful Fall Weekend Visit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2011

The Homestead is one of those legendary destination resorts I had heard much about but never had the opportunity to visit. Its out of the way location makes it the kind of place that one must make a concerted effort to visit.
The hotel is a real grande dame and far more sprawling than I had expected. Indeed, our three day stay didn't afford us enough time to take advantage of all that we would have liked to do. Nevertheless, it did provide us enough time to allow us to appreciate what an attraction it is.
Check in proved to be courteous and professional. It certainly helped that they were thoughtful enough to upgrade my family into a junior suite. The room was quite lovely and very spacious providing my young daughter with ample room to toddle around. However, our plan wasn't to spend our time in the room. The Homestead offers a vast array of activities to keep yourself occupied, so there's little reason to spend your time in your room anyway.
Walking around the resort and its grounds was a real pleasure. The weather was great and the fall foliage was lovely. Indeed, one of the reasons we had travelled to the Virginia mountains was to enjoy some leaf peeping. It might seem somewhat counterintuitive for some of my northeastern neighbors to head anywhere but north into New England for the foliage, but it turned out to be a great way to go. Far fewer crowds and lower room rates than what we would've found up in Vermont or New Hampshire proved to be a real benefit. The hotel offered wagon rides and horseback riding for folks to get into the fall spirit.
The indoor pool proved to be a huge hit for my family. The pool is huge and really impressive. Even better was the fact that so few people seemed to use it while we were there. Next door was a game room and even a bowling alley. Another facility that impressed me was the huge movie theatre that seemed to show something family friendly each evening. In fact, a showing of Bedknobs and Broomsticks really took me back to my own early childhood.
One member of our party enjoyed a massage at the spa, and I really enjoyed a visit to the Jefferson Pools. Needing a break from the family, I took the resort shuttle out to the Pools. Much has been written about how they appear to be falling apart. Admittedly the structures are hundreds of years old, but I thought they were really cool. In the afternoon the bath is coed, but I went in the morning when men and women can enjoy seperate bathing facilities. As such, I walked in, doffed my jeans and shirt, grabbed a noodle float and went for a proper soak in my birthday suit. To tell the truth, I'd drive all the way back there just to float around in the hot spring again. One local old timer told me how he and his buddies would soak there for a while after they'd been out hunting on a cold day.
Speaking of hunting, the Hometead has a gun club. Unfortunately, I didn't get the chance to take advantage of it, which gives me another reason to make a trip back.
Dining seems to be a controversial issue on this board. Our package included the breakfast buffet, which we really enjoyed. Dinner in the very dressy main dining room wasn't an option with a toddler, but we did have dinner one evening at the Casino Club restaurant, which was a bit expensve but quite good. One evening we took another local's advise and had dinner down the road at the Country Cafe. Dinner there proved to be very casual, very inexpensive and very good.
I found the Hometead to be a real pleasure that provided us with a beautiful fall weekend visit. It's not cheap. However, I imagine that folks were complaining about its rates in the eighteenth century, in the nineteenth century, in the twentieth century, and certainly now in the twenty-first century. Indeed, people will probably be complaing about the costs in the twenty-second century as well. Nevertheless, it's a unique enough place that it's safe to say it'll still be attracting a crowd in another hundred years.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (414)
Richmond, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2011

We were excited for a weekend away at the Homestead but it turned out to be a disappointment. The food was not good. The nice bar did not open until 4pm. The tea service was a herding line. They originally gave us a room w. a view of a gravel rooftop. The waiter at the Pub was so rude & they didn't even serve burgers at a PUB? The porch was beautiful but no service out there.
Then when they asked us how are stay was & we started to complain they told me they would send me a guest survey which they never sent.
We had dinner at the Tavern where the steaks were terrible & equivalent to a Shoney's dinner. We called the manager Dave later & got a so so response along with they were getting a waterpark next year to improve it. The last thing they need is a waterpark. Better service, better food & better atmosphere is was they are lacking. Maybe they need new management. I am sadly making these comments only to hope help them in the long run so they will still be there in a few years.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
TheHomesteadResort, Manager at The Omni Homestead Resort, responded to this review, December 8, 2011
We sincerely appreciate the constructive feedback by this guest concerning their food and beverage and housekeeping issues. We are in the process of identifying and beginning needed improvements in our food and beverage outlets, and we are glad that this guest took the time to impart information that will help us provide the experience our guests expect.

Esme Pitard
Director of Food and Beverage
Arlington, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2011

The homestead is truly a must see landmark in the beautiful mountains of Virginia. The historic property is wonderfully kept, rooms are nice, The staff is wonderful, but food is expensive and just ok.

Besides the glamour of the historic compound the biggest draws to the resort are the spa and recreational activities. I can see why this is a great destination for the hoity-toity couple, spa day for her, golf day for him type. I may not shop at LL Bean but I can certainly hob-knob with the best of them and I enjoyed the upscale spectacle of resort environment.

A typical day there would be up for the lovely breakfast buffet, out for a daily activity like Spa, fishing or horseback riding, in for afternoon tea served in the great hall, clean up and head to happy hour at the Presidents lounge, then off to dinner at one of the resort restaurants. Just bring your plastic…the meals are outrageously priced (and I’m a city girl) the food is ok (I am a food snob) and the drinks are expensive (I don’t mind spending $13 for martini if it comes in a big girl glass).

I personally went for the Spa and the Jefferson Pools (the local hot springs) and I enjoyed both SOOO MUCH!! I will definitely go back. I will just explore off campus restaurant options.

Overall the experience was totally worth it…it’s like no place I’ve ever been, and it’s nice to take a step back in time!

Room Tip: I stayed in the Garden wing wich is the newer wing of the hotel, rooms were lovely.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Fredericksburg, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2011

Having been to The Homestead many times in the past, I am sad to say it is beginning to show not only its age, but a lack of maintenance. The rooms are still spacious and well designed, but the carpets are dirty and in some cases more than well worn. Wallpaper is peeling in places, and the furniture is in need of repair. In the public areas, maintenance appears to be better, but there are still a number of places where age and lack of attention are visible.
Interestingly, the service was much better than it was two years ago. The staff was friendlier at arrival and check in, and there was great attention to detail in the main dining room. It would have been nice to have been offered at least one or two different entrees for dinner. If you stay four or five days, and choose to eat in the dining room, you will be very tired of the same offerings.
The proximity to the Jefferson pools is still a plus. It is nice to have a shuttle drop you off and pick you up on time.
The shops haven't changed much, and the tours offered seem to be ones I recall from past years. The golf courses appear to be in great shape, and sporting venues are popular. They were putting up the ice rink when we were there.
It is still a great hotel, but in comparison to its nearby, recently renovated neighbor, The Greenbrier, it is a bit shabby.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
TheHomesteadResort, Manager at The Omni Homestead Resort, responded to this review, November 30, 2011
We very much appreciate the comments regarding your recent stay at The Homestead. We are in the process of identifying and renovating many of our guest rooms and public space areas. Our goal is to provide exceptional value when it comes to facilities and services. Thanks again for your feedback and we sincerely hope you will have the opportunity to return and enjoy the upgrades at The Homestead.

David Herscher
Director of Rooms
Woodbridge, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2011

This is a beautiful property! The rooms were lovely - well decorated and homey. The beds were comfortable and warm and the minibar was fully stocked. We enjoyed our guided hike and the horseback riding. The local restaurants are great and the food was fantastic. We enjoyed a swim in the pool - it felt like we had gone back in time with all of the old tile. Every staff person we encountered was friendly and gracious - we felt very well taken care of.

We were there for a Manager's Retreat - they set us up in a meeting room with a great view and plenty of space to get our work done - it was the perfect setting for our team. We are planning to return next year!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Davidsonville, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2011

You can't go wrong with The Homestead...from the facilities..to the staff..to the magic created by the history.

Can't wait till next year.

One caution...make your reservations early.

Room Tip: Rooms in the newer section are a bit larger.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Columbus, OH
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2011

We basically had a lovely couple of days at the Homestead in August '11--as long as we stayed out of our room. Food was great, and the "gracious living" atmosphere was a fun break from our usual lives. On the other hand, we were in the Garden Wing on the ground floor with a huge pine tree outside our room so the room was predisposed to being somewhat dark and dank. The room reeked as though the air conditioner hadn't been drained. We didn't report it at first because we thought we just needed to let the air conditioner catch up with the humidity, but by the next day when the room was freezing cold but still humid and smelly we called to report the problem. When we stopped by the desk several hours later they told us they were moving us because of "unresolvable problems". When we went to get our things to move them to the new room, we found the toilet pulled from the wall -- not the problem we'd reported in the first place--the ac still out of order and the smell still disgusting. The room they moved us to, right next door in the shade of the pine tree, was no better. So, by this point somewhat annoyed with me, they gave me one more chance and gave me a room on the sunnier side of the wing which was much better. Unfortunately, the next day we had to leave.
So I know that there are good rooms because I've read so many positive reviews here, but you have to be ready to insist on a good one the moment you walk into your first room and don't like the way it smells.

Room Tip: Don't choose a room on the Garden Wing ground floor. If your room smells at all, ask for a chan...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to The Omni Homestead Resort? Share your experiences!