Let me first point out that I am not a KSL (owner) fan. I have found their guest policies and procedures to be less than welcoming in several stays at their properties over the years- Given the option I would seek alternative lodging as opposed to staying at one of their properties.
That being said, my family and I stayed recently for a weekend at the resort and had a wonderful time. We all look forward to going back, but will do so with the information in mind that will make for a more enjoyable time. The activities and dining staff were impeccable, especially in the main dining room- we had a wonderful experience.
Our family issues arise with the resort itself, you really need an instruction guide to book your reservation and make the best use of your time. The reservations process is severely flawed and I suspect that the agents are paid on commission that make them not provide the best guidance on what makes the most sense for each guest. Be sure and ask specific questions regarding packages they have available and exactly what they include.
Once you arrive at the resort, do not hesitate to ask what something cost. They are very skillful at asking "do you want this/that?" and not fully disclosing that there is significant cost. I find this interesting as that has been the operations that I have experienced at other KSL resorts. A perfect example is "may I park your car", not disclosing that there are options and costs associated with some. In my opinion the valet parking is a complete waste of money as the self parking is in close proximity to the hotel and you will not need your car while there.
The activities are well planned and we were very impressed with the guides we had in the activities we did. Here is another area where the KSL policies come into question, you cannot hardly walk down the hall without signing a waiver- you must sign a waiver for every single activity. On a legal note, in most states those waivers are not enforceable because they contain blanket releases, even in the event of owner negligence. There is significant case law where these have been thrown out. Seems that they could just do a blanket waiver when you check in.
Our kids are already looking for a return trip and we will do so with the information we need to have a truly enjoyable experience. It is really sad that you need a "test" stay to feel welcome and make the best use of your time. As I have spent in excess of 3,200 nights in hotels in my life, I am not a first timer to the way a place should be run- this one is run from the ivory tower not the heart. There are many resorts out there that have the mixture right between profitability and a truly outstanding guest experience, this is not one.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Open since 1766, The Omni Homestead is one of America's most storied resorts, offering unparalleled hospitality and southern charm in a 2,000-acre setting within the Allegheny Mountains of southwestern Virginia. Renowned for its natural hot springs, The Homestead is distinguished by 483 luxurious guest rooms and suites, 72,000 square feet of meeting space, a wide array of fine and casual dining choices, an expansive spa, championship golf courses that include one of the nation's finest mountain courses (The Cascades), Allegheny Springs, a two-acre family-friendly water attraction complete with lazy river, water slides and water play zone. The resort also offers the South's first downhill ski area, an Equestrian Center, top-rated Shooting Club, archery, canoeing, falconry, Segway tours and a wealth of other recreational attractions. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Despegar.com, Travelocity, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your The Omni Homestead Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Homestead Hotel Hot Springs
- Homestead Hotel Hot Springs
- Homestead Va
- Homestead Hot Springs Virginia
- Homestead Hot Springs Va
- Homestead Resort Hot Springs