“Don't miss the Jefferson Pools” 5 of 5 stars

Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Hot Springs
GreenLeadersBronze level
Falls Church, Virginia
“Don't miss the Jefferson Pools”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2011

We stayed 2 nights at the beautiful, historic Homestead. We stayed in a Room with a very comfortable king sized bed. The indoor pool built in 1904 is just beautiful. It opened at 6 am and we enjoyed early morning swims. The breakfast buffet was super nice and the fresh fruit was great. We went on the Gorge Cascade hike with 2 other couples and our guide Allen was the best. We went to the Jefferson Pools for a soak. They are historic and maintain the historic charm. Make sure to go down the stairs for the overflow massage. This place is quite unique, although from the appearance it feels like it would fit right in with something from the 'Green Acres' show. We had a great time at the Homestead and learning about its history.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (391)
Ashburn, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2011

From the moment that I got in the problem started with my rooms........the front desk Manager Jennifer was really rude and did not want to give me what I reserved for and did not want to give me any solution. If I had not driven 4 hours to get there I would have left the hotel and I mention that to her she said to go ahead and leave. I found a solution to what I was looking for and had to pay $500 extra to make my family happy. the lady in the Golf Shop name Jean treaded me like a foreigner and was very prejudice to the color of my skin and the attitude that I did not belong their because i did not looked like her race. They Charged me for a full and unlimited activity but most of the activities that I wanted to do was overbooked or during my stay. I got shot in the head in the Paintball game and not very safe for the kids to play their. I wanted to talk to a general manager for about all of the problems that I was having and he would not make himself available to me. Everyday I left a message to him and he would not call me nor he want to hear what I have to say. I had to stay positive in order for my family so that they can enjoy their spring break but it took a lot out of me. I spent over $5000 for a 4 day trip there but it was not worth it and I will never go back there again specially with my family. The food is overrated and not worth the money you spend. I had a similar bad experience a year before to the same plance but I thought if I go their again these it would be a different experience.......so I will never go back their ever ever again. I hope the General Manager whom I was looking for 4 days and couldn't get a hold of will read this bad experience that I had in this so called 5 star resort. I can spend my money somewhere else at least I would not feel that I am being discriminated against.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Baltimore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2011

I stayed here for a few days with my husband and daughter. I pre signed up for the cheapest rate, no frills (ie no food or activities included). The room we got was pretty basic but definitely good enough for the price we were paying. I was hoping for an upgrade given hotel was not busy but no such luck. Nonetheless the room was more than fine and I was not disappointed. The bedding is very nice as our the bathroom amenities. The room has a large flat screen tv which we never turned on but I assume works well. I did not see a DVD player . Wifi is included in your rate and works very well throughout hotel. The property's gym is awesome - honestly best gym I have seen in a long time and I am picky. Great combination of new cardio, newish weight stations etc. The view is awesome and there are several tvs to listen to but they don't hook up to headphones. Free water in the gym along with dry and wet towels. They also have a separate aerobics studio. Gym has a very clean feel. The locker rooms to shower in are great. Beyond this is a great super extra big indoor pool of nice temperature. Throughout the hotel by the way are great nooks to sit and read or just hang out. We never checked out the spa services bc the prices are very high. We got a great babysitter for our daugter but thought the price paid was a little high. The food in the Casino is awesome. Help is fantastic throughout and great to little kids. I would absolutely return here. By the way the deerlick hike is one of the most beautiful hikes as you finish looking at the mountains and returning to property. The uphill part is not as bad as the sign makes out. The hike took us less than half the time they say to allocate. It is not as pretty until you get near the top but hike is totally worth it. I heard the 5pm hay ride is also great with kids. My only complaint is that I wish they had a free play area indoor for kids under 3. We did not bring toys and while the outdoor playground is great there are no swings and if the weather is bad the options can be limiting to a kid under 3. Parking in high season is a pain. We were able to park for free close but typically you would need to valet and they tack on a fee for this. Otherwise you are parking pretty far.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Viewtown, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2011

After reading reviews on TripAdisor and Yelp, I was expecting to have a somewhat disappointing visit (food, something wrong with the room, etc.). However, the stay exceeded all expectations. My husband, young daughter and I went there, along with my sister in-law and her partner, and my mother and father in-law, for my in-laws' 50th wedding anniversary. We had 3 rooms booked, with my in-laws being the largest. About 2 days prior to our check-in, my father in-law was notified by the Homestead staff that they had overbooked. They asked if he would be interested in upgrading our room and my sister in-law's room into 1 room - one of the presidential suites. At first we were taken aback, worried about privacy, but we were shocked at how beautiful and large the setup was. 2 separate bedrooms w/sitting rooms and large balconies and each with a huge bathroom with tub, shower, etc. The furnishings were tasteful and the bathrooms looked like something out of Restoration Hardware. In between the 2 rooms was a huge living room, so there was definitely a feeling of separation/privacy. There was even an entrance hall and the entry had a doorbell. Unbelievable. Will probably never stay in such a room again (unless we win the lottery). I am including this so you are aware that extraordinary circumstances played a role.

Definitely not as stuffy as I assumed it would be. Some people/families looked like they were doing a shoot for a Lily Pulitzer catalog, but most people appeared normal/dressed casually.

*The Good: Gorgeous grounds, hiking trails, food/service at the Casino (try the crispy shrimp for an app); afternoon tea was relaxing; indoor pool/spa was great (outdoor wasn't open yet but looked great); service was friendly (esp. the shuttle drivers, equestrian center staff and the housekeeping staff) but not obsequious;

*The So-So: The parking valets/bellhops seem pretty useless. No greeting or anything; the South Trail could be better marked on the return (after Equestrian Center)...got lost for about 20 minutes; carriage ride for my in-laws and daughter was pretty short and the carriage broke down...probably not worth the cost; wish they had a refrigerator in the room (aside from minibar) so you could keep some cold drinks around. We did bring snacks, etc., so we wouldn't go broke eating out at the restaurants; concur with other reviewer about guest diversity...saw one African American family and probably my sister in-law/partner were the only gay couple. If I was not white/hetero or wasn't a fan of children, probably wouldn't choose this place; food via room service sub-par, but didn't expect much

I would highly recommend taking the shuttle to the Jefferson pools/bath. It's very rustic, but the waters are amazing. Just don't expect the service/comfort of the Homestead.

I would go here again (even though we would probably only book a small suite or regular room), probably when they have a special running. It was only 3 hours from where we live (recommend cutting through Luray vs. going through Front Royal to 81) and it's truly beautiful once you get near the George Washington National Forest.

Room Tip: Hope they overbook and upgrade you!
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Washington DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2011

Some things have gotten better in the past seven years, some have slipped.

The dining room has stepped up its game with respect to the food - still not keeping pace with the grand hotel The Homestead is - but it's definitely an improvement from three or more years ago. We recently stayed at The Mohonk in NY - the entire menu changes every night. Awesome. The Homestead could vary their menu a bit.

It seems like in years past the staff was always stellar. They treated you like a guest they really wanted to see again. And it didn't seem fake or rehearsed. The last few years the staff is hit or miss. Rebeca at the front desk was pleasant and clearly wanted to help us as we checked in. Amy must have had a long day - clearly not in the mood to be pleasant to arriving guests.

They also seem to make some odd choices like when we learned the Easter brunch was in a ballroom - not the dining room. That was a disappointment. The food was better than the dining room food - but the setting wasn't very charming.

We did skeet shooting and Steve (staff person) was funny, fun, and knew how to get our girls to take some shots on their own without his help.

Take the history tour. It's fascinating if you're into that type of thing.

The grounds are beautiful and be sure to do the hikes - the one's you can do on your own . North, South, and Deerlick trails. Spectacular views at certain points.

I would certainly recommend you check this place out. It is 100% old school charm and as others have said, you are in a different era when you're there.

Room Tip: If you have a plat amex book through it
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2011

This is a luxurious resort but really is only suitable for families as there are hoards of kids everywhere. It is a beautiful place with great service. Of course you'll pay for all that. We had a great time skeet shooting with Steve. Steve is very patient and obviously well experienced with all skill levels. He did equally well instructing a 7 year old and a 77 year old! It's worth the trip just to spend time with him. Although they say attire is "resort casual" there were a lot of people with wearing jeans. We ate at the casino club restaurant. Linda seemed a little overwhelmed at seating us without reservations despite the fact that the restaurant was half empty and remained that way for the next 90 minutes. Perhaps she was new. While everyone was friendly and courteous I could help noticing the lack of diversity in the guests--98% of the guests were white, straight families.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2011

Incredible property.. HUGE with lots of amazing activities (golf, skeet, mineral springs). Has an upscale yesteryear elegance.

The property was extravegant.. I can't imagine how much it would cost to just keep the lights on never mind keep it sufficiently staffed. We did feel a few "cut corners" in service and the food quality.

It must be extremely difficult to keep The Homestead properly staffed given how rural the area is. The front office in particular seemed to needed a little extra attention. With the exception of a few bright spots (female shuttle driver & housekeeper) workers seemed pretty cranky/put out to be there. There was one guy who I imagine was the FO/Guest Services manager who was running circles around the place trying to "delight" the guests. He was the only one I didnt feel like I was inconveniencing asking for an umbrella.

I think The Homestead might be in a little bit of a identity crisis. Either way, I highly recommend it as a "must see" DC-area destination. We LOVED the rifle range and afternoon tea.

Room Tip: LivingSocial has been running deals
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to The Omni Homestead Resort? Share your experiences!