“Solid property near Dulles” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #3 of 20 hotels in Herndon
Philadelphia
“Solid property near Dulles”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2010

I stayed at this hotel for one night while showing some family around the area. I will note that I used Priceline for this hotel and received a great rate. One thing about using Priceline is that, if you require a handicapped accessible room, you should call the hotel and ask if they can provide you with one. If not, you can contact Priceline for a refund. The hotel at that point should be able to give you a 'yes' or 'no' answer when you call so that a decision can be made.

When I called to request a handicapped room for my father, the hotel told me that this would be possible. Upon check-in, they informed me that a handicapped room was not available and that since we booked through Priceline, they would not be able to make a special request for the room.

Location: The hotel is immediately off the Herndon/Chantilly exit of the Dulles Tollway (VA 267). Standard airport location, many other hotels around, chain restaurants, shopping center down the road.

Hotel: Looks good. There is a small alcove across from the front desk with a TV. There is a decent business center, fitness center, lots of meeting rooms and a pool. Parking is free and plentiful. There is a shuttle to get you to the airport. If you have a room on floors 4-7, you will have a long walk to the far bank of elevators.

Room: Large and clean. The room looks like it has been renovated. Flat screen TV's, nice furnishings and bathrooms. The beds were comfortable. Wi-fi internet is free. You get a small bag with earplugs, eye patch. Rooms have a microwave, fridge and coffee maker. I really have no complaints. Holiday Inn's parent is working to make sure that there franchises are meeting certain standards and I think the rooms are solid.

Restaurants: Houlihan's is on the ground floor. They also provide room service. The food is expensive, but pretty standard Houlihan's fare.

Overall: I liked the hotel and thought it was a very nice property. Ultimately, the room my father received was not completely unacceptable. The doorways accommodated a wheelchair and the bathroom was large enough. Had they been more upfront when I initially called, I would have been happier.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family

371 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Perkasie, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2010

I am frequent guest of the Crowne Plaza in Herndon. I have stayed here for years(about 8 since they converted it over from a Holiday inn), at least 2-3 dozen times a year. There is covered parking in the rear, a nice Houlihans restaraunt connected. Plenty of other restaraunts in walking distance.
The night staff has always been courteous to me, and consistent... the same faces for the past couple years. That says something in my opinon.
If you are a priority club member with ICHotels, you can access the club lounge. Free breakfast items, soda and chips 24/7. (and free water bottles! very nice)
Again the rooms are clean, air is fresh, TV's 42" are plasma's in the tower rooms (not little 23" TV's)
If you can request a Tower room, you wont be dissapointed.

Honestly, they are the gold standard for Crowne's in my opinion...I have stayed at Richmond, both Pittsburgh Crowne's, Virginia Beach, Orlando and a couple others...none compare in my opinion.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Crowne-Plaza-Dulles, Owner at Crowne Plaza Dulles Airport Hotel, responded to this review, November 5, 2010
You are our newest favorite person Mr. Purplecam -

Thank you for the kind review of our Crowne Plaza Dulles Airport. We want to know about our imperfections but it is a great day when we are reminded that our hard work helps to meet our customer's expectations.

I appreciate you putting smiles on our employees faces today.

Yours,

David Welliver
San Diego, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2010

I fly into the Dulles Airport every week and have been staying at the Crown Plaza Dulles Airport for almost a year. Here are some great pointers:
The front desk staff is very friendly. Security is great ---- key access only to the hotel entry, elevator after 9pm. I felt very secure staying at the hotel.

The transportation to the airport runs every 30 minutes 24 hours a day and the drivers will take you to where you need to go in between trips if the destination is close. If you rent a car (which I do), the exit to the hotel is the first exit after leaving the airport. No charge for covered parking.

The business center: provides free computer use… I sent as well as received my fax for free.

Room: microwave and a very cold empty refrigerator for your use.
Newly renovated and very spacious room…the Bed is very comfortable.
The room is very sound proof and quiet. The desk lighting and work space is excellent.
The rooms also have free WIFI as well as Ethernet hookup. The speed is really fast.
Huge space for your hanging clothes and plenty of drawer space.
There’s also a coffee maker with free coffee and tea…the coffee is very tasty.

Facilities:
The workout space equipment and swimming pool is awesome.
The soccer field behind the hotel is nice if you like to run. I run there all the time.
The hotel restaurant is Houlihan’s--- it’s a great place to unwind.
The 7-11(with a Redbox DVD rental Kiosk for $1 each), Wendy’s, and Taco Bell is a 4 minute walk.
Cross the street to the Gateway Center and there are many restaurants and a large movie theater.
A half a block away is a Kohl’s and a large Grocery Store.

I fly all over the world and stay in a variety of hotels. I definitely consider the Crown Plaza Dulles Airport my home away from home. GREAT VALUE for the money!!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Greetings Luckyvoyage -

Thank you for taking the time to share your kind thoughts on your experiences at our Crowne Plaza Dulles Airport. Not only are your comments kind and helped bring cheer to our employees, but your detailed content will be very helpful to newcombers planning trips to Herndon.

Your thoughts make us want to work even harder to satisfy our customers.

Yours,

David Welliver
cookeville, TN
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2010

Stayed here before with no problems. Many problems this time ranging from rudeness of the staff , most of whom seem to have no interest in going ANY out of their way to help, to the disappearance of a Seiko watch during the time they moved us from a room with bugs (a roach and a stinkbug) to a different room. Not accusing any employee; the watch just disappeared during that time.
Pool in great need of repair but so ice cold we could not swim anyway. Really getting run down. Would not recommend this hotel AT ALL.

Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Crowne-Plaza-Dulles, Owner at Crowne Plaza Dulles Airport Hotel, responded to this review, October 19, 2010
We always regret when anyone has less than a perfect visit to our Crowne Plaza. We are aware of your experience and have thorougly investigated your comments. While our staff and professional exterminator found no traces of insects as you claim, we had the room professionally treated for insects. In regard to your watch, I can only say with great confidence that after 20 years at this hotel I have never had an employee theft issue. We do, however, have guests lose or forget belongings each and every day.
Mountain Top, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2010

It was a pleasure interacting with the hotel staff during the reservation process, my stay, and upon my return from a 2 week int'l trip. The hotel has everything....great location, staff, rooms, restaurant, etc.... I had an excellent dinner and very restful sleep before departing on my int'l flight in the morning. I also found the internet service to be very fast. My car was in the covered parking garage near the entrance during my 2 week trip, and I found the shuttle service to and from the airport to be very timely and convenient. All of my needs and expectations were met or exceeded, and I will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
Greetings Mountain Top Pennsylvania -

Thank you for your kind words including all the great detail from your recent visit to our Crowne Plaza. It is helpful as we continually evaluate how to keep good things good and improve on imperfections. It was a pleasure serving you.
new orleans
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2010

Great location. Priced right on priceline. A little run down, needs to be refreshed. Noisy air conditioner, dingy elevator. Nice bathroom amenities. Not again.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
Thank you for sharing your thoughts from your recent visit to our Crowne Plaza. We watch for this feedback closely and make important use of the comments as we continually self-evaluate the hotel. We wish you would have had a perfect visit. By the way, I agree that the elevators should be jazzed up and we are seeking feedback from elevator companies currently.

Best,
Rio Rancho, New Mexico
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2010

Stayed here, but checked out after one night and headed to Hyatt Suites. This is a very dated hotel, offering nothing but a place to sleep. Parking was non-existant, and front desk staff was rude and un-carring about customer satisfaction.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
WayneThompson, Rooms Division Manager at Crowne Plaza Dulles Airport Hotel, responded to this review, October 1, 2010
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel. I am so sorry for the difficulty you experienced with our Front Desk Staff and trying to find adequate parking. Our hotel has ample parking to accommodate large tour busses, semi-trucks, trucks, cars and motorcycles; in addition we offer a secured two level parking garage. Our hotel's consecutive Torchbearer Award for 2009 & 2010 confirms our commitment to offering outstanding service and amenities. From the lively Houlihan's Restaurant & Bar to high-definition TVs and programming in the rooms, we have what you want. A state-of-the-art Fitness Center, indoor pool and Crowne Plaza Sleep Advantage® amenities ensure a relaxing stay. Also, I've reviewed your comments with our Front Desk team so that they realize the impact of their actions. This is not the type of service that we strive to deliver to our guests. If you care to elaborate on your comments on how the” front desk staff was rude and un-caring about customer satisfaction” you may contact me directly. Serving and exceeding guest expectations are the qualities that differentiate us from the rest.

We hope you will give us another opportunity to serve when you return to the Dulles corridor Please contact me directly.

Sincerely, Wayne Thompson, Rooms Division Manager

Been to Crowne Plaza Dulles Airport Hotel? Share your experiences!