“Great Stay” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 20 Hotels in Herndon
Vermont
“Great Stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2006

Visited this hotel on business. Very clean and the service was great. Did get the chance to have meals with our meetings and they were great. Location near airport works very well and shops in the World Gate Center very close

• Liked — Location, Clean, Friendly Staff
  • Disliked — Intranet in room
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Naples, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2006

Looking to catch an early flight out of Washington Dulles Airport and needing to park our car for 10 days, we needed a hotel near the airport. Found only very expensive places thru all the travel bookers, and AAA. Finally tried the hotel's own website. Was delighted to find a VERY special Park and Fly offer. I thought it was a mistake it was so reasonable, but not so. The hotel and room were lovely, with great drop off and pick up shuttle service.
We would definitely recommend this Crown Plaza.

• Liked — The comfortable room and the proximity to IAD with Park and Fly accommodations
  • Disliked — No complaints
  • Tips/Secrets — Always check for the hotel chain's website
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Phoenix, Arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2006

Spent 3 nights here in May 2006 for business. The company I was visitng held our meetings at this hotel and secured a "discount" for us.

The experience started badly and never got better.

First, I arrive at IAD and go to where all the hotel shuttle buses pick up guests. I waited and waited and waited for the Crowne Plaza shuttle. After 1/2 an hour, I called and spoke to someone at the front desk that said he had just left and to watch for a black van. Again, I waited and waited and waited. After another 1/2 hour I called again -- this time there was some sort of conversation between the front desk clerk and the shuttle driver, apparently, with the clerk's hand over the receiver, but I could definitely hear some sort of exchange between them. He said he had come by and I said that I never saw a black van. Clerk says he's coming again, and this time, asked my name. So, I'm still sitting there, for more than an hour now, thankfully it was a gorgeous spring day with a light breeze. A royal blue van pulls up, with "Days Hotel" on the side and the driver gets out and starts asking if people are you "so and so" and I realize, he's looking for me. I stand up and state my name and he proceeds to yell at me that he's been by 2 previous times and he even saw me sitting there last time, blah, blah, blah. Wrong. This was NOT my mistake! The van was blue -- I was told it was black. And it had "Days Hotel" on the side -- not "Crowne Plaza" (under renovations and name change during my stay). As we walk up to the van he points to a sign in the window in the back -- through the darkly tinted windows -- that says "Crowne Plaza". It was not very big and if you were sitting on the bench like I was, it was at an angle and through tinted glass and NOT visable! I mentioned the large company that I was here to visit and how awful I've been treated and how I'll be sure to let them know how I've been blamed for these problems and lousy communications. Thankfully, the ride was only about 5 minutes, and the driver did apologize for his behavior as I exited the van -- I'm sure he thought that would get him a tip -- wrong -- not with the attitude he had shown me, the customer.

Checking in was ok, room was ok. But this is no "Crowne Plaza" -- it's a Days Inn with new paint and carpet. And very, very uncomfortable, old, thin mattress beds.

There was no restaurant or bar -- there was one under construction attached to the hotel, but not due to open for more than a month. For the price I was paying, this was not acceptable. I chose to stay here because it was the locaiton of my meetings and I would not need a car. But no restaurant or bar? Like I said, this was NOT a Crowne Plaza -- just an over-priced Days Inn with new make-up. There was a Wendy's and a pizza joint a couple of parking lots away and just a bit further, next to the gorgeous Marriott, was a TGIFriday's and other restaurants. But if I had been alone I would have been extemely uncomfortable walking alone and at night -- crossing a very large, very busy intersection and dimly lit parking lots... If my associates were not staying at the same hotel and in the same predicament, I would have changed hotels. But we all made the best of a bad situation.

The morning of check-out, I was packing up and found a maid's "rag" on my open luggage -- it was a piece of cut or torn white fitted sheet that had some sort of cleaning chemical (furniture polish or something) on it and it stank and was stained and oh my God, where had it been? It made my clothing that it had been touching stink and well, I took it down to the front desk and made a stink. It was so Gross! They offered to clean my clothes -- but I was checking out and catching a flight in a couple of hours so that wasn't good enough and I told them so. The manager was watching our exchange, came over, apologized profusely, and removed 1 nights' room charge from my bill. At least they did the right thing in this circumstance.

Overall, I wouldn't stay here again. Discount or no discount. There are many, many other lovely hotels in the vacinity that are what they say they are. All hotels in this area are expensive. Maybe the restaurant is open now, but there were too many other things "wrong" with my stay. Excuses do not make a satisfied customer.

• Stayed May 2006, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Crowne Plaza Dulles Airport Hotel? Share your experiences!