“Good choice for Dulles Airport overnight stay” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #5 of 20 hotels in Herndon
Laurel, Maryland
“Good choice for Dulles Airport overnight stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

I recently stayed at the Crowne Plaza Dulles Airport (CPDA) Hotel for one night before an early-morning flight to Las Vegas, and I'm glad I did. I booked it just a day beforehand on Expedia and found a pretty good rate of $65/night. (I had an Expedia coupon for $50, so that made it much cheaper, but even without a coupon, the rate seemed pretty good for a 3.5-star major-airport hotel.)

The CPDA has several things going for it: (1) very convenient location -- just off Rt. 267 (toll road) and the Dulles Access Road (no toll), with toll-free access to and from IAD. The hotel is just across the road from a Marriott and a large strip mall with a good choice of restaurants, including Italian, Thai, and Vietnamese. (2) Check-in and -out were easy and convenient. (3) Room -- spacious, clean, and comfortable. I was a bit skeptical when I saw the rather cheap-looking floor-mounted HVAC unit underneath the window, but it had a separate and accurate wall-mounted control that worked just fine. (It offered the option of digitally setting and maintaining the temperature via heating or A/C.) (4) Parking: plenty of free surface and garage parking, and the garage is right next to the bank of rooms at the "back" (side closest to the airport) of the hotel.

Another helpful feature: I'd settled into my room with some takeout food and a beer when the front-desk receptionist (Michael? Mark?) called: someone had turned in what appeared to be my rent-a-car key. He'd surmised it was mine from the info. I'd provided on the car (for parking purposes) when checking in -- key was indeed mine; I'd dropped in the elevator when fumbling for my room key. I appreciated the thoughtful follow-up by the hotel staffer.

While I did find the Dulles Hilton (see my review for that property) a bit better overall, I was nonetheless pleased with my stat at CPDA and would definitely stay there again. Recommended, especially if you can get it for less than $70 or so a night.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
scummiskey, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Dulles Airport Hotel, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Dear KittyChan,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at our Crowne Plaza. I am pleased that you enjoyed your guestroom, our convenient location and our complimentary garage parking. Many guests also take advantage of Worldgate shopping center, which is located across the street and offers many restaurant options as well as a multiplex movie theatre. I will also pass your positive comments regarding the service of our guest service agent who found your missing car keys to the Front Office Manager.
We hope to have the opportunity to host you again during your next visit to the Dulles area.

371 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013 via mobile

The property is modern and conveniently located to Dulles Airport, where I had scheduled an early morning flight. We decided to stay over and had a good price from Priceline ($65 plus their addon taxes and fees). When we arrived, there was a strong smell of sewage in the lobby/reception area. Could not figure that out and didn't bother to ask. We went up to the room, which looked good enough. When we got into bed, however, there was one long, perfect single human hair between the sheets as well as sone suspicious stains on the spread up by the place where my face goes. We moved to the other bed.

I called this to the attention of the desk clerk on checkout who acknowledged my concern with little interest.

You get what you pay for.

• Stayed January 2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Dulles Airport Hotel, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Dear ChunnyM,

Thank you for sharing your experience regarding your stay with us. Please accept our sincere apology for the unusual condition of the room you received. We have taken note and wish to thank you for all your comments. These have been shared with our Housekeeping team for the purpose of bringing improvements needed.

Despite your disappointment, we do hope you will return to stay with us again at some future date when you can be assured of our very best attention.

Joel B
Case Manager
IHGCare
Cumberland, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

I have been travelling to the area on business for many months, and of the hotels I've stayed at, this is my favorite. Full selection of TV channels (others only had basic). Year round open indoor pool (others were outside). Good restaurant downstairs and a short walk to WorldGate, a shopping plaza with a large selection of various restaurants. They provide shuttle services to get to my office. The staff has been very helpful anytime I needed anything. On an occasion I needed to have some adjustments made on my reservation, the front desk staff took care of everything. A special thanks goes out to Deysi, Paul, and Andrew for helping out with that.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
scummiskey, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Dulles Airport Hotel, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Dear Matt,

Thank you for your recent review of our hotel. We are glad that you had such an enjoyable stay with us and were able to take advantage of our complimentary corporate shuttle, Houlihan's Restaurant and indoor pool. Many guests enjoy our guest rooms' extensive selection of Hi-Def channels when relaxing, as well as the additional dining and movie theatre options located next door.
I will forward your recognition of Paul, Andrew, and Deysi's helpful customer service to our Front Office Manager and General Manager. We look forward to the opportunity to host you again on your next visit to the Dulles area.

Frostburg, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

This place is at a great location, located right off the Dulles Toll Road. They have a wonderful gym and a great buffet breakfast in the morning, but the best thing about this place is the very friendly staff. I would like to call out three in particular, Deysi, Paul, and Andrew. They were very professional, friendly, and a huge help.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to provide us feedback on our hotel services. We strive to provide the best customer service and accommodations for our guests, so are very pleased that Deysi, Paul and Andrew were so helpful and friendly during your stay. Our convenient location just off the Toll Road and next to shopping and restaurants is also a popular feature with guests. We hope you will have the opportunity to stay with us again and next time try our Houlihan's Restaurant & Bar for dinner or happy hour.

Fort Ashby, West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

I have to say that all the staff is very very helpful, friendly and caring. I take note of the kindness and professionalism of Deysi, Paul, and Andrew. From now on I will stay no where else when I am in town. The room is very nice, clean, and well appointed with every thing you could possible need. I could not give a higher rating to the hotel, and the the staff.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your review of our Crowne Plaza Dulles Airport. We are glad that you enjoyed your recent stay at our hotel. We are very proud of our guest service team's customer service and will pass your compliments about Deysi, Paul and Andrew to our Front Office Management staff.
We are pleased that you also enjoyed your guest room's appointments and look forward to the opportunity to host you again during your next visit to the Dulles corridor!

Khartoum
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

the price was good ...but didn't realize that there would be no one to help with my luggage at either the door or the front desk .... went to multiple soda machines before I could find one that accepted my money only to find out that machine was sold out of 7-up and there was no soda machine on my floor... room didn't get cleaned until after 1 pm (yeah could have called and insisted but...) ... after traveling a long distance and using this as a 1-day layover, I might have preferred to pay more and had a few more nice touches along the way ....room was clean and front desk staff adequate and bed comfortable but on the way back, I am trying a different hotel

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
scummiskey, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Dulles Airport Hotel, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Dear Loki,

Thank you for your recent review of our Crowne Plaza Dulles Airport. We are glad that you enjoyed your guest room as well as the comfy bed. Our van drivers also perform bellman services, so I apologize if no one was available upon your arrival. We also will notify our outside vendor who services the vending machines regarding your issues with the machines accepting money and being out of 7-up.
We hope you will consider staying with us again during your next visit to the Dulles area.

Yours,
uk
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

What makes this place is the staff, nothing too much trouble, always friendly, day or night. Great breakfast, buffet or ordered on room service. Friendly bar and they cater for smokers outside with shelters and seating! Good bathroom facilities. Great pool and gym. Bus service right outside the door, or you can walk to the local mall. Looking forward to my next visit.

Room Tip: All rooms are quiet. Not much of a view from anywhere.