“Old hotel, convenient location” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #3 of 20 hotels in Herndon
Reston, Virginia
“Old hotel, convenient location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

The front of the hotel is deceivingly contemporary in appearance however hotel is definitely aging quickly, decor in rooms is 70's style and the ants will eat any crubs you leave behind. Housekeeping was ok, they missed the room however when I coordinated my schedule with them they were responsive. I get the impression that the staff know what the standard is however will wait until a problem is identified; ..for example the TV in the first room was broken and after they re-assigned me a room there was no spare plug for a laptop, 'had. Front desk had no suggestions so I had to unplug the lamp and us the computer in the dark. Despite the shorcomings I actually had a decent stay because there is a great gym across the road (Worldgate), they also have a decent sports bar by the lobby and many other attractions next door.

Room Tip: I recommend checking the room out before bringing in all your luggage.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
scummiskey, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Dulles Airport Hotel, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Dear Mr. Pickins,

Thank your for your recent review of our hotel. I apologize that we did not exceed your expectations but was glad to hear that our staff responded to any issues you experienced. All guest rooms were renovated in 2008 and we will be installing new Crowne Plaza bedding in 2013.
Our Houlihan's Restaurant & Bar is very popular with guests for breakfast, lunch, dinner, as well as happy hour. In addition to our on-site fitness center, we offer reduced rate passes for the Sport & Health Club located across the street. This gym is very extensive and offers many exercise class options.
We hope that you will consider staying with us again during your next stay in the Dulles corridor.

371 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Norman, OKI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

I have stayed at the CP Dulles a couple of times heading out on international trips. The hotel is a short shuttle ride from the airport. The hotel itself is nice enough but a bit worn in the rooms. Staff for the most part are friendly.

Hoolihans is a great place to hang out, eat, have a drink. There are several places around the hotel to walk to, including a Giant grocery store on the north side of Kohls. Place has everything you need.

My biggest complaint is the "fitness center" which is more like a closet with a bit of equiptment in it. Didn't even attempt to use it.

Overall I would probably try one of the other HI properties around Dulles next time I come through.

Room Tip: North side rooms would be quietest as they are on the side opposite the expressway.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
scummiskey, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Dulles Airport Hotel, responded to this review, October 12, 2012
Dear bconwayOU,

Thank you for your recent review of our hotel. We are glad that you enjoyed our Houlihan's Restaurant and Bar as well as convenient location. Houlihan's is very popular for lunch or happy our drinks and has seasonal menu offerings, including Down Home Pot Roast, Salmon BLT and Carrot Cake in a Jar.
While our fitness center's size is limited, we do offer an alternative pass at $10.00 per day at Sport & Health Club, located directly across the street. Sport & Health offers extensive facilities, including: fitness equipment, indoor pool, basketball court, raquetball courts, tennis courts and class options.
We hope you will consider staying with us again during your next visit to the Dulles corridor.

Best Regards,
Melbourne, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

Leslie Alves and her staff continue to exceed my expectations. Their "can do" attitude and exceptional service are most noteworthy. My irregular travel schedules are never a problem with them and they always find an acceptable solution to my "last minute" accommodations requests. This truly is a CLASS Hotel. Thanks Leslie and team.
Jack R.

Room Tip: Close to elevator would be a plus.
Dear Jack,

Thank you for your nice words regarding our Front Office Mgr., Leslie Alves, and her staff. We are very proud of our staff's service level and glad that they were able to help accommodate your reservation requests.
We look forward to the opportunity to host you again the next time you are in the Dulles area.

Best Regards,
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

My wife & I enjoyed this property largely because of the quality of the staff. Patric was professional & extremely helpful. The room was perfect & the managers reception was exceptional. Hats off to Leslie as well.
Harry

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
scummiskey, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Dulles Airport Hotel, responded to this review, October 2, 2012
Dear Harry,

We are glad that you enjoyed your recent stay at our hotel, including our complimentary Meet the Manager Reception, held every Wednesday evening from 5:30-6:30pm. It is a nice opportunity for guests to mingle and enjoy some appetizers and beverages.
I will pass along your nice comments regarding the helpfulness of both Patric and Leslie from our front desk to our management. We hope you will stay with us again the next time that you are in the Dulles area.

Regards,
Herndon, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

I am finally getting around to rating this hotel nearly three months after my wife and I stayed there following the now famous June 29, 2012 Mid-Atlantic derecho. When we awoke in our Herndon home on Saturday morning, June 30th, we knew that we were in for a long day, as it was already warm in our house, and power was out to more than a million customers in the Washington, DC area. Around 2 P.M., we realized that we would have to suffer through a long, hot, boring afternoon and evening if we could not find a hotel with power. Due to the storm, phone service was largely non-existent, and so we had to drive from hotel to hotel, seeking one that had both power and an available room. The first seven with power did not have any availability, but the Crowne Plaza did. We were very pleasantly surprised that the hotel had not jacked up its rate due to the storm, and we had a quiet, comfortable club level room, which was about 20 degrees cooler than our house. Staff was very courteous and we enjoyed dinner at the nearby (within walking distance) Bertucci's. All in all, a very nice experience at a reasonable price under unusual circumstances.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Crowne-Plaza-Dulles, Owner at Crowne Plaza Dulles Airport Hotel, responded to this review, September 28, 2012
Hello Home-Town RodneyHerndon -

I certainly am happy to hear you made the most out of that rough power-outage weekend. I am still in therapy for the trauma we all suffered. I cannot thank you enough for the time you took to share your kind comments of your experience with our Crowne Plaza during that exceptional weekend. Things were far from perfect that but I was proud of the way the staff met their obligations and I am glad you enjoyed our hotel.

Here's to having electricity..and cable TV..and Internet..and air-conditioning in the summer! Thank you again for your comments. You are a good neighbor!

Roswell, GA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

I am here for 5 days with my sweetheart while he is up here on a business trip. He has been staying here almost monthly for the past year, but, this is my first time here. From my perspective, this is a very clean property. It is an older property, but they do maintain it very well. They have upgraded the rooms a bit and the bathrooms have granite vanities and are well lit, which, as a female, I find important!!! The housekeeping staff has done an excellent job, our room is spotless and keep us well-stocked with towels. There is an indoor pool and hot tub with a lifeguard on duty at all times. Both are showing their age, but are clean and we have used the hot tub 2 or 3 times.
This place's location is pretty good, as it is not a terrible drive into the city (D.C.) and the National Air & Space Museum is only a few minutes away. (next to Dulles) The Shenandoah Valley National Park and Skyline Drive, as well as Luray Caverns are within an hour's drive. There are numerous restaurants within a mile of the property, as well as a grocery store and a Kohl's. All in all, a convenient place to stay! I would recommend this place and would enjoy coming back again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Crowne-Plaza-Dulles, Owner at Crowne Plaza Dulles Airport Hotel, responded to this review, September 22, 2012
Hello Carybenn53 -

Thank you for the time you took to share your very kind and very detailed review of our Crowne Plaza Dulles Airport. I certainly appreciate you noticing the results of our staff's efforts. We have some real heros on the payroll. However, I think the thing that touched me the most is how our Crowne Plaza has become a reliable home away from home for you. I don't think there can be a kinder customer gesture or a more fullfilling result than to have earned your trust as a repeat guest.

We hope to serve you again soon!

Yours,

Heathrow
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

Stayed whilst on a whistle stop visit to meet clients and although nothing wrong with hotel or service, there was nothing special that made me think wow.

Check in was extremely quick and efficient although there was no attempt to either upsell or offer information. The bedroom was nice enough, as expected really although the interior of the hotel was rather dated. My Air Conditioning didn't really work which was a shame due to the heat.

No real lounge area, just a space in the lobby but not exactly relaxing.

The best part (isn't it always!) was the bar and restaurant, Hoolihans. The service was fantastic, extremely personal and knowledgable. The beer was ice cold which was brilliant as it was so humid. The breakfast in the morning was usual fayre but great all the same. We barely noticed any guests in the hotel (either it was quiet or everyone kept themselves to themselves) but when we had lunch with our clients, the restaurant came to life and was buzzing. All coupled with great service.

Would I stay again? Probably as there was nothing wrong and it is in a great location only 5 minutes from the airport. If I were staying longer than the 24 hours I was there, I would probably venture into the city though.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Hello Paul From Across the Pond -

Thank you for taking the time to share your very detailed thoughts of your recent visit to our Crowne Plaza Dulles Airport. Your story title made us sad but your review made us happy. While it is always nice to have the newest and best stuff, the most memorable experiences in a service environment relates to the staff service - either terrific or not-so-much. I was very pleased to see that our staff services connected well with your expectations.

Thank you for your business and again for your review. I am sure other TripAdvisor members appreciate your degree of detail as well.

Yours,

David.Welliver@cwhotels.com

Been to Crowne Plaza Dulles Airport Hotel? Share your experiences!