“Great hotel with nice amenties” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Weekend Savings!
Ranked #3 of 20 Hotels in Herndon
Cary, NC
“Great hotel with nice amenties”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2008

I booked the Crown Plaza on Priceline for a very reasonable $40. I called them prior to my stay and requested 2 queen beds. The night of my stay I called them again and requested 1 king. I was told that they probably would not be able to accommodate that since all the Kings were taken. However, when I arrived there from NC I was quite surprised that they were able to get me into a King room on the Club Level for no additional charge. While i was there, my stay was nice. One thing that was cool was they had a CD with nature sounds. We are not personally into that but I know that there are some people that are.
The only thing that annoyed me about the hotel is I was not made aware of the rear parking deck that was far more convenient to our room than the lot in the front. I discovered it on my own and quite by accident.
All-in-all this was a solid hotel and I would highly recommend it.

• Liked — Club Level upgrade, proximity to Dulles Toll Rd.
  • Disliked — parking
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2008

Booked through Hotwire for a very reasonable price (~$60). Everything else in the area was in the $200+ range. Totally fine hotel for an overnight stay. The room itself was fine, as was the lobby. Didn't use any of the amenities, other than the Internet, which worked. Wouldn't recommend it for a long-term stay, but for a single night, it's fine.

Stayed February 2008
Eastern Shore, MD
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2008

My husband and I, as well as another couple, stayed here the night before a flight out.
We saw a special for Park "N Fly on Travelzoo. They only wanted $119 for this, compared to other hotels which were $30 - $80 more in the same area. So we paid about $119 for one room and about $89 for the other. We got in around 11 p.m. and were promptly checked in. To our surprise, we were both upgraded to the Club Level. It was a nice, spacious room. The bathroom had lots of amenities, and there were bath robes to use. Also there was a free granola bar and popcorn for snacks. Left on the bed was some type of Sleep kit - CD to play, lavender spray, ear plugs, and sleep mask. I love freebies, so this was really nice!! We promptly got in bed, and it was extremely comfortable (and I am picky!) No problem with heat, showers, or such. The next morning our free shuttle was waiting to take us to the airport. (There is free coffee in the lobby, as well as free internet to guarantee airline seats, make quick reservations, etc. )
Only problem was that I left my pillow in the room. I realized this after we were at the airport, so I called the hotel and the lady said she would have it waiting for me when we arrived back. However, when we returned back, pillow was nowhere to be found. Man at desk said I could leave message for housekeeping. I did. The next day at 8 a.m. Maria called my home. She couldn't have been sweeter! She had my pillow and was shipping it to me (since we live three hours from the airport.) How's that for service? We only had a short stay here, but I would consider trying this place again, especially it it's a decent price.

• Liked — price, convenient location, freebies!
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
England
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2007

A mixed bag at the Plaza.

Stayed here on a one night stopover at the end of November and on arrival everything looked fine from a bright and well presented lobby etc.

Behind the scenes however was a different story. My room was on the first floor. The room itself was a good size as was the bathroom, but overall both were looking tired and in need of refurbishment as were the hallway decor and carpets. The tv was also on its last legs with a dark/poor picture and no adjustment working.

Houlihans sports bar next door was the same story. Nicely fitted out and great atmostphere but the service was terrible. Even though there were three staff behind the bar it took 10 mins to get served. No smiles or pleasantries, just arrogance from all concerned(I don't do names).

I also have a note of caution re the location, with due respect to the locals. This is clearly not the best of areas as was borne out by a short stroll to the local 7-11 store. I am a large imposing person but still managed to get eyballed by some of the local characters hanging around. Also the car park at the rear is dark and isolated so try and park round the front of the building. Sorry for sounding sexist but not recommended for lone females or anyone who is nervous.

Overall could have been better.

• Liked — Close to airport
  • Disliked — Local area
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2007

I booked this room through Hotwire for about $70/night. Mind you, I'm not picky considering I got such a good price for the room. However, this place has some major maintenance and hospitality issues that it needs to address. The room overall was clean and pretty. It was on the small side, but very workable. My mom came to town to visit and I stayed with her for two nights. First, they put her in a King bed room when she requested double beds. I left my mother in the room with all our luggage and told her I would go down and get it changed while she waited there rather than haul the luggage up & down the elevator. When I told the front desk I wanted to change rooms to double beds, they asked if we had messed up the room. I told the staff no, and then they asked where the other person in my party was I told them I left them in the room upstairs with all our luggage. They asked me, "Are you sure they haven't messed up the room?". That did not sit well with me.

We got to a new room with double beds and turned on the heater. It made a horrible racket that was this loud rattle the whole time it ran. It was so loud, you had to talk over it to each other. I did not want to change rooms again, so we tried to put something heavy on top of the unit to help it stop rattling. Nothing worked. I finally covered it with a heavy coat to help muffle the noise but still allow the heat in. It did help, but did not make the noise go away.

Also, a major safety problem was that the shower did not work properly. I warn you now: If you take a shower, no matter what time of day, the water will go from scalding hot to ice cold every 30 seconds. I seriously had to examine my feet at the end of my shower to see if I had burns on them. This was true at 8am and at noon on a weekday. Watch out!!!

When I checked out of the hotel, I took a cart from the bellman (teenage kid). I lugged all the luggage out to the car but it was too difficult to try to maneuver the cart back into the lobby due to the fact that only one door opens at the hotel's back door near their parking, so I left the cart down the hall near the door to the garage. I then told the bellman where I left the cart and why. He sighed heavily and went out to retrieve it.

When I checked out of the hotel, I asked for a receipt and the hotel said since I did not book it directly with them, they could not give me anything. I have booked many hotels through hotwire before, and while I know the customary answer is that I have to get the receipt from hotwire, they usually can print up some type of documentation for me from the hotel. Also, the hotel staff was very short with us. We asked about a shuttle to the Air & Space Museum at Dulles airport. They said it departed at 9:30 and returned at 1pm. We asked if there were any other times and they answered, "No!", very harshly as if we were asking for such a great favor. Also, I asked about the airport shuttle and received a very similar answer.

Overall, the hotel was very pretty downstairs and had a nice business center. That was about it. The staff was rude, the shower was a safety hazard, the air conditioner/heating unit was louder than having an airplane in your room, and there are too many other options within one square block to stay here again. Even at $70/night, I would look elsewhere.

• Liked — Beautiful Lobby
  • Disliked — Rude staff
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
March, Cambridgshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2007

Hotel was excellent. We were upgraded to an Executive Room which had free access to the Lounge with free Coke, Sprite, Diet Coke and Water. Also there were crisps free there too and a big plasma tv. I would not have paid for this service though, as I did not think it was worth any monetary value.

On our first night we went to Dinner at Houlihan's Restaurant which is right next door. We were very impressed with the food and the service we received from Annette - she was attentive and made us feel very welcome. The price was reasonable too.

On our second night we went back to the Restaurant, and we could not have had a different experience if we had asked for it. Our server seemed new (which was fine!) however, we were not asked about our salad's and dressings, and also our children's main meals came prior to our starter. When our starter did come it was thrown on the table. At that point we had a word with the Manager - who was useless. Was totally uninterested and had nothing to say about our service. We thought it may just be us, until the table next to us complained too. It was at that point the Manager started to take notice.

They dropped the tab and gave us free breakfast the next day. I have to say though, I would not have paid for the breakfast either. There was little choice, and most of it was dry.

In summary, I would stay here again, it seemed a nice area, and we were able to get the bus to the Metro station and into DC downtown, however, I would be thinking twice about using the restaurant.

• Liked — Quality of the rooms and the comfort of the beds
  • Disliked — Noisy Air Conditioning in each room - was like a jet engine!!
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2007

This place has been recently done up and is a big improvement from the former Day's Inn it was. Rooms in the main part of the hotel are small but I managed to get an upgrade to the Executive level and found a very spacious room with fridge/microwave etc marble in the bathroom, and new carpets and beds. As this place has been renovated recently I would recommend it. From my experience with this hotel brand, they tend to let things go after the initial work, so in a year or so I would be less enthusiastic. However I found the bed very comfortable which for me is critical when traveling on business. They have a chain Houlahans Irish style restr/bar which is ok.

The hotel is good for local business or an overnight stop to/from Dulles airport as it is right next to the on/off ramp of the airport road. I wouldn't recommend it for much else as Herndon town itself is a declining area and doesn't feel safe walking around at night.

• Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Crowne Plaza Dulles Airport Hotel? Share your experiences!