“Excellent Stay” 5 of 5 stars

2323 Dulles Station Boulevard, Herndon, VA 20171   |
Reston, Virginia
“Excellent Stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

A family member and I stayed here for 7 weeks following surgery that made it impossible for me to stay at my home. The furnished apartment we rented at AVE was superb. We had a 2 bedroom/2 bath apartment with a balcony. We could see our cars in the parking garage (a bonus!). The apartment was huge -- the closet in the master bedroom was the size of some whole bedrooms in other apartments I've rented. We paid less for our apartment than any hotel in the region with 2 bedrooms/2 baths.

The staff was friendly and helpful. I dealt most with Nichole and Kyle, who were both great. The maintenance staff was great -- my TV was acting up and they replaced it with a brand new unit immediately. They also helped us several times with little things. The staff frequently organizes events -- we went to the Thanksgiving dinner, the gift wrapping party, and the cookie exchange -- all were fun! The woman who manages the breakfast (her name escapes me), was so friendly. She was cheerful and always rushed to assist me (I was using a walker). I loved that there were complementary Washington Post, Wall Street Journal, and USA Today newspapers daily.

Towards the end of our stay, a man moved upstairs who was ridiculously loud and was obviously smoking (not permitted). We contacted the staff, who had him moved out the next day.

Frankly, the only negative about this place was the TV/Internet. It was satellite, with a fairly limited channel selection. The Internet was pretty slow and the router had to be rebooted at least 2 -3 times each day. It was nice that the connection was secured, however. When we were leaving (in January 2013), the cable company was laying cable and one of the maintenance employees told me that cable was going to be installed at some point.

I don't understand the negative reviews. This place is wonderful. I've recommended AVE to many people and will stay here again.

Room Tip: Balcony rooms overlook either the pool or parking garage.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

11 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Ashburn
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

I had a confirmed reservation with the AVE for almost a month long stay. Within a week of our check-in date, they called me to cancel our reservation because they overbooked. They barely even offered to help us find a suitable replacement. All they offered to do was call some hotels that were all priced much higher, given that check-in was within the week, and did not have kitchens, which was unacceptable. We found a place within a mile of the AVE that was much cheaper, which they didn't even mention.
So, beware that if you make reservations with this community, it is meaningless and may be canceled without a moment's notice. They do not put any stock in reservations or customer service. We had filled out paperwork that looked like lease paperwork a month in advance and had received a confirmation that our reservation was booked, so this was not a mistake on our end. I'm happy to show the proof of both the reservation and the fact that they canceled on us to anyone who is considering booking with this property. This level of customer service should worry anyone considering staying at this property.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Gainesville, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

I love this place. I have been in the DC area several times for work and at first was a little hesitant to try something new but this place is now like a second home to me. The staff here is excellent and to add to what others have said, Sylvia goes above and beyond to make sure all of the guests have a pleasurable experience. The staff here is often scheduling and orginizing events for the tenants of the building and really foster a family type atmoshpere. The pizza place on the same block has decent food and a little bar if you want to grab something quick. Places are well furnished and offer all of the basic amenities and a little more than your standard hotel or coorporate housing unit.

There is a grocery store and a shopping plaza nearby that has pretty much everything you need. The grounds are very clean and the maintenance crew is good at getting any repairs completed in a timely manner. WiFi in the rooms is good but fairly basic and not the fastest but it at least your own secure connection. The only negative I can even think of is the Direct TV that goes out frequently with storms, but you have that with most dish providers. I would go back over and over when I need something in the NOVA area.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I was a little surprised to see some of the bad reviews. I stayed here from Nov 2010 to Feb 2011 for work and was pleasantly surprised. I just can’t say enough about Sylvia. She bent over backwards to accommodate every complaint I had. I asked for so many things that at one point I thought she would run in the other direction when she saw me, but she was always super pleasant. Initially I was in a small room, I asked Sylvia for a larger room with a den and three days later I was moving to my new more spacious room. The rooms were sparsely decorated with IKEA like furniture. I definitely think they could do a better job with the furnishing. The bedroom was large and the bed was a dream. My bathroom was pretty large too. The kitchen will definitely inspire you to cook. You have granite counter tops (in the bathroom also) and stainless steel everything. The kitchen cabinets are stocked with everything that you will need, including a blender and toaster etc.

The breakfast was nice. They had bagels and muffins and croissants with packets of cream cheese. They also provided Starbucks coffee and Tazo tea and orange juice and lots of fruits. The fruits were available all day. Around Thanksgiving the staff organized a dinner and close to Christmas there was free gift wrapping and some other time there was also a wine tasting.

Well over all it was a good stay and if I am ever in the area again I will definitely stay at the Ave before I consider any place else. The best part of the stay for me wads the weekly housekeeping! The stay is expensive but my employer paid.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012 via mobile

Updated review: I first posted a review several months ago. Nothing has changed. Sylvia Secondo (general manager) has more than gone out of her way to ensure a good stay. The staff has been professional and attentive. I have no real complaints. I'll reiterate that the breakfast leaves much to be desired. Having chairs that are more comfortable would help, but they're not terrible.

• Stayed April 2012
Herndon, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

OH MY GOSH!!! this place is the pits,first and foremost the staff is a joke,all they do is grin and lie in your face from the time you arrive until the time you leave. I spent one year here and cried the whole time I was here. The staff starts work at 7am and they do not care that you may still be sleeping,as they slam doors and he.haa laughing. The place is for corp stay only,as it is expensive as hell,so if your company is paying let them waste their money. You can hear your neighboro "fart'. You can hear your neighboro flush the commode. Phone service....STOP your cell will ever ever work in this building. you can go out back in the gargage at any time and several tenants are out side using their phones The breakfast you get is cold pasteries and the little skinny lady in there does nothing but flirt with the men. She will give them anything they want,if you are a lady forgot it as you get nothing. The evening receptionist are a poor fit for a receptionist. If i did not know anybetter I would think the two office staffers were...........o well. The place is so so expensive for what you get,cheap carpet and small. I was misearble for a year and just moved out two weeks ago. Do not go near this plae

Room Tip: do not stay at this apartment complex
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
h
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2012

First and for most let me say that the apartments themselves are very beautiful, the grounds are well kept and the view (which was poolside) is not at all bad. The rooms are spacious, the kitchens very large with lost of storage. Always plenty of parking in the parking garage. However the staff at this corporate/residential apartment community are some of the most rude and fake people I have ever met. They will start off nice wanting to help you with your every need, till they can't benefit from you anymore. Always having to call around 3 or 4 times for them to take the rent out on time. If the rent is late which is due on the 1st of the month (with no grace period according to them but you have till the 5th of the month to pay) you are charged a $100.00 late fee. So them always taking the rent out late can cause problems. Overall nice place, atrocious staff and the staff pretty much makes the place.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business

Been to AVE Dulles? Share your experiences!