“Top Notch Hampton Inn in Herndon, Va” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book now and save 15%
Ranked #1 of 20 hotels in Herndon
Thessaloniki, Greece
“Top Notch Hampton Inn in Herndon, Va”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

This has to be one of the nicest Hampton Inns I have ever stayed at. My husband and I wanted a weekend getaway and this was perfect. I was very impressed particularly with the artwork in the lobby area. The fireplace and seating areas were very comfortable. We were upgraded to a suite and had a corner room that was so quiet, I never heard anyone else in the hotel at all from our room. Breakfast was the usual Hampton, which is always excellent. I will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: One of the nice features of this hotel is that they have placed the ice machines beside the elevator...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

248 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Knoxville, TN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2012

The room was larger than other typical Hampton Inns that I have stayed. It appears that the hotel has recently been remolded. However, the carpet in the hall on the first floor appears to be loose and is a trip hazard.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2012

I know it's "only" a Hampton Inn, but the quality of the stay at this Hilton property was better than most other Hiltons I've been to, including supposedly higher class mainline Hiltons. In fact, this is the nicest Hampton Inn I've ever stayed at (I've stayed at probably 30 Hamptons in my life). No, it's decor isn't on the level of a Hilton Doubletree, but you do get free WiFi , free breakfast, and free parking at this property, which you don't usually get at Doubletrees (or Hilton Garden Inns, etc.).

I usually stay at Hilton properties after a bed bug incident in LA made me paranoid about staying at chains that have properties with varying levels of quality (Marriott seems okay, too).

There are *great* ethnic restaurants in easy driving/walking distance. The names of the best ones I tried are Saigon Pho Style (Vietnamese), Warka (Ethiopian), Charcoal Kabob (Afghani Kabob), and Three Thai (Thai).

The only small gripes I have about this hotel are 1) accessibility to Spring St. going east, and Herndon Pkwy going south; both are really problematic. You can cut through the Springhill Suites parking lot and make an illegal left turn onto Spring St. going east when there isn't a lot of traffic (at night); 2) water pressure and water temperature were issues. Water pressure was never good in my shower (room 311), and water was lukewarm at best at mid-morning.

Overall, I would definitely stay here again. Weekend rates dip down to $69 a night many times in the winter. That is value.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Sierra Vista, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2012

I have travelled a number of times to Virginia. In every instance where I stayed at the Herndon Hampton Inn & Suites, it was a pleasure. The staff was ALWAYS friendly and cooperative making sure that every visit was enjoyable; regardless of whether it was for pleasure or business. Whenever my wife was able to join me, she remarked how she really enfjoyed her stay there. Of all the Hampton Inns and Suites that we have stayed at, I must state that this was the best managed, friendliest, and most helpful. The rooms were always clean and well maintained, the service outstanding, and very comfortable.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Colorado Springs, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2011

My husband and I only spent one night but it was perfect! The room was large and very nicely decorated. The bed and pillows--super fresh and comfy. Breakfast was very healthy and lots of it.

Only concern--was the radio. I could not set the time for the alarm, but it was remedied with a wake up call.

Will definitely visit again!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Hampton_Herndon, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Herndon-Reston, responded to this review, January 5, 2012
Hi Lynwalks,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review of your experience with us.

We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and were able to take advantage of our spacious rooms and hearty breakfast.

We hope to see you again soon!

Ogden, Utah
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2011

First of all, the good part. The rooms were about average for this type of hotel. The beds were decent, shower was good, everything was maintained and clean. I did not have the room cleaned during my stay. The desk had a white cover, making my optical mouse totally worthless. Not the smartest design for a business traveler. The windows all overlook major streets, and there is no way to close the curtains completely. Breakfast was hot and plentiful with good service, but it's the type of reheated / packaged food that you can only eat for two days in a row before you start skipping. Still, the fact that they had it was a plus. Shuttle service was prompt and quite good, although with only one shuttle you need to make sure you have reservations to schedule your dropoff/pickup and to give the driver a chance to mapquest your location (they do not have GPS). I left tips for the shuttle driver, but the one day I had no cash I did not get a dirty look, either. The hotel is by the tollway, so there is really nothing in walking distance - a target about .7 miles away, some restaurants just over a mile to the north. But if you don't have a car, it's a terrible location. So other than my problem in the next paragraph, it was an average stay, maybe 3.5 stars - about the same you'd get at any other of the cookie cutter type hotels in the area.

Unfortunately, actions taken by Hampton employees were insulting and unethical enough that I will never stay at a Hampton hotel again. This trip was government business, and I used the official government travel reservation system. For this hotel, travelers are allotted the same amount as they would be for travel in DC and eastern Fairfax. This is quite a bit more than the actual hotel rates. Booking through the official system showed this higher daily rate, and showed a full tax exemption for paying with the government credit card I have on file. I checked the hotel's posted rates and saw they were over $100 a night cheaper than the DC rate, but as this was last minute travel I did not have the time to get an exemption in the travel system to input the actual rate. It's an opportunity for more red tape, unfortunately.

I probably should have taken care of his when checking in and gone next door to the Marriott instead, but I failed to do that. So I was very surprised when I saw my bill for the full rate AND taxes. I discussed it with the front desk employee. He was a rather tall ESL man working the night shift (about 7:00-8:00 AM) on Friday December 23, but I did not get the name. When I requested that my room rate be changed to the hotel's posted government rate, he first tried to distract me by saying it was a holiday rate only - which was not true. When I called him on his misrepresentation of the rate, he then told me he was unable to change the rate for my room, because my reservation stated I reserved it at the higher rate. I did not agree with him and we had some words about not honoring their posted rates when I requested to be billed according to them, but I can understand his reasoning - a reservation is a reservation, and can not be changed on the last day.

Then on the second issue - being charged full taxes even though my reservation clearly stated there would be none - he refused to budge. After explaining to me he can not change the reservation in any way on the room rates, he refused to honor the reservation on the tax rates. This double speak was unethical to say the least, and was somewhat confusing since the taxes do not even go into the hotel. This second part was pure stubborness on the part of the Hampton employee.

This man made absolutely no effort to satisfy the customer. With me paying a ridiculous amount for a room well above the official rates, the least he could have done was offer 20 dollars off my exorbitant room rate in return for me paying the taxes. I was paying 100 a night more, so 20 would have been a very small sacrifice. In this way, the hotel could still make off like a bandit while showing some respect for the customer. But there was nothing like that. My reservation was modified to pay more money, and the hotel employee refused to honor the official hotel room rates. I will never stay at a Hampton Inn again due to this refusal to honor either a reservation or the posted rates.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Hi ratWaffles,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review of your experience staying with us.

We apologize if there was any inconvenience caused during your stay. If you would be so kind to send me an email at Kristen.Delgado@hilton.com or call the hotel directly at 703-230-1600, I will be more than happy to address all your concerns with you.

We are looking forward to having another opportunity to serve you when you are in the area again!

Newton, Massachusetts, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2011

Normally not a big fan of Hampton Inns, but had to stay here for a work trip. Ended up being very impressed. Property is well-kept up and very modern. Rooms are spacious and nice, as is the lobby. Breakfast was good too. Overall, much better than one would expect from Hampton Inn!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Hi jsnyder02,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review of your stay with us.

We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and all our great amenities. We do our best to exceed everyone's expectations especially with so many choices in the area.

The Hampton Inn and Suites Herndon-Reston

Been to Hampton Inn & Suites Herndon-Reston? Share your experiences!