“Hilton Dulles Needs Some Updating (and maybe a move!)” 4 of 5 stars

2X HHonors Points
Ranked #5 of 20 Hotels in Herndon
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Morrisville, North Carolina
“Hilton Dulles Needs Some Updating (and maybe a move!)”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

My friend's wedding reception took place here so I booked room for the night so I could fully partake in the festivities (and open bar). The location is not that great and impossible to see fro the main road; I actually didnt even notice the hotel until I saw the sign sticking out. At first I thought my car's navigation had taken me to the wrong place because all I saw were industrial and office buildings. Turns out that's where the hotel is located. There are no places to eat or drink within walking distance (or even a 15 minute drive) from the hotel so the hotel's restaurant is your only food option unless you are willing to take a road trip.

Thanks to my Hilton status I was upgraded to a Junior Suite on the 4th floor and given access to the Concierge Lounge (aka Executive Lounge). The Suite was really just a very large room (no separate sitting area), but there was plenty of space for my wife and I (and a few of friends who came to see us). The room had a brand new 50" TV and the furniture (couch, desk, lounge chair) were in good condition (no stains, rips, scratches). There were some areas in need of updating; the bathroom would flicker randomly, the iron was missing plastic, and the carpet had a few stains. Nothing terrible or inconvenient but a minor upgrade would make a big difference.

Overall had a nice stay. The lounge provided free hot breakfast (eggs and bacon) in the morning and some appetizers in the evening. Nothing to get excited about but definitely a nice amenity. If I had to stay overnight in this area again I would stay here if the price was right.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
DullesCustServMgr, General Manager at Hilton Washington Dulles Airport, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
Dear Matt V,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us your feedback! We are pleased you enjoyed your stay with us overall. In regards to the property needing updating- we are currently in the process of renovating, so the things you mentioned will be addressed. We also offer a courtesy shuttle for our guests which will take you anywhere within a 5-mile radius, including a variety of restaurants and shops in the area. Again, we appreciate your feedback and look forward to welcoming you back the next time you are in the Dulles area!

Greg Langweg

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

I always stay at the Hilton Dulles whenever I travel to Northern VA. First, it's in a great location. It is not right next to the airport; it's about 10 minutes away in a very quiet location, close enough to many businesses or highways to get you to them. The hotel and rooms are pretty average overall (the main reason I give it a 4 instead 5-stars....would love to have the option for 4.5 rating), but the people there make the biggest different. The check-in process is efficient and front desk associates are always friendly. And, Winston, who tends the bar in the restaurant is amazing! If you sit at his bar and order drinks and/or dinner once, he will remember you. I make sure to stop and see Winston, even if I dine elsewhere (which I tend to do as the food at the restaurant is pretty average). Lastly, for a hotel, the fitness center is very nice (which I appreciate as someone who maintains a regular fitness regime). There's a nice, big cardio area with many treadmills and ellipticals and a large weight area with free weights and several machines. There are also an indoor and outdoor pools, but I have not used those. A great hotel for business travelers.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
DullesCustServMgr, General Manager at Hilton Washington Dulles Airport, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
Dear AMW2473,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us your feedback in such a nice review! We want you to know that we appreciate your loyalty to our property and are thankful to have you as a returning guest! Your kind words regarding our hotel are such a pleasure to read and your compliments of Winston have been passed on to him, our Restaurant Manager, and Food and Beverage Manager. We are so glad we are everything you look for in a hotel as a business traveller and we look forward to welcoming you back the next time you are in the Dulles area!

Gorham, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

I have stayed at several hotels across America, France and the United Kingdom and this stay by far was the best experience of them all. We arrived after 9 pm and we were checked in and in our room within 10 minutes. Very few hotels have proper dinner accommodations after 9 pm, but this Hilton did, which was a god send, because we were starving. The only thing lacking was I did not get to meet Paris lol.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Dear Paul S.,

Thank you so much for the wonderful 5 star review!!! We are so glad to hear you had such a great experience at our hotel! We strive for each guest to leave our property after their stay with the same feelings you had after your stay with us. In regards to Paris, we haven't met her yet either. Maybe one day? ;) Thank you again, and we look forward to welcoming you back the next time you are in the Dulles area!

Yours in hospitality,
Stafford, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

We are totally impressed with Hilton Washington Dulles bellman/airport transport driver and honorable young man, Mubarak. Congratulations to the hotel for having this young man on staff.

Paul and Judie Brown
Las Vegas, NV

Room Tip: Uograde from regular King to super King ... not that much more money
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
DullesCustServMgr, General Manager at Hilton Washington Dulles Airport, responded to this review, October 19, 2013
Dear Paul and Judie Brown,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us such a wonderful review! We are so pleased to hear that Mubarak was such a great example of the excellent guest service we strive to provide everyday. Your kind words and compliments have been passed on to Mubarak and the Front Office Manager. Thank you again, and we look forward to welcoming you back the next time you are in the Dulles area!

Yours in hospitality,
Pennsylvania, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

Airport hotels can often be dirty and tired, but not this one. The Hilton Dulles Airport has a very welcoming staff that efficiently checked me in and sent me on my way in 90 seconds. The room was large and comfortable, and the large HD TV was great. Even the breakfast buffet was well done.

TIP: Gas stations, CVS and other useful stores are less than a mile away.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dear CuriousTravelerRadio,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us your feedback in such a nice review! We are so glad you enjoyed your stay with us, including our efficient staff, our HD TVs, and our breakfast buffet. We appreciate your kind words and look forward to welcoming you back the next time you are in the Dulles area!

1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

I stayed here a couple weeks ago. I had high expectations because it's a Hilton. While showering I noticed the water was backing up, it wasn't draining quickly. I reported this to the front desk the first night, it was never addressed during my entire stay.

I noticed they don't use fitted sheets, there were flat sheets on the mattress.

We went to the bar with a large group that was staying at the hotel. The bar tender was less than pleasant , as if he had plans that night and we were holding him up.

It was not a horrible stay, but it did not live up to Hilton standards.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Phoenixville, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Hilton Washing Dulles Airport for a soccer convention in October. The rooms were nice, however they do not have a microwave or a mini-fridge. The room was also hot and the air wouldn't work, so the first thing we did as we got into the room was call reception for a repairman. Even after the repair, the room wasn't as cool as we would've liked.

Another minor issue was that we initially entered the back of the hotel when we first got there. We walked through many hallways with our luggage before entering the actually lobby. The actual front of the hotel is located at the back of the parking lot.

Other than those items, the hotel was nice and clean, the grounds are pretty. The staff was friendly and the bar is open until 1am - although pricey. If we were to return to the area, I don't believe we would stay there again.

Room Tip: Our room was located outside of the ice and vending machines. Although not too much of a bother, if...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
DullesCustServMgr, General Manager at Hilton Washington Dulles Airport, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
Dear DJEllis13,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and leave us your feedback. I apologize there were issues with your A/C and it was not cooling to your satifaction. We are in the process of a renovation and many room units will be updated in the near future. I also apologize for the long walk that you encountered to the lobby. We do have a very large property/grounds, so the distance from one point to another can be lengthy. We would love another opportunity to exceed your expectations and would hope you would give us another chance to do so in the future.

Greg Langweg

Been to Hilton Washington Dulles Airport? Share your experiences!