“Good and practical” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 20 Hotels in Herndon
Paris, France
“Good and practical”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

I booked this hotel arriving very late at night (or early morning in late October) and I got a good price over the internet. I only saw the room and only for a short while, but the bed was comfortable, it seemed to have everything needed, the bathroom was clean, the amenities lovely and I heard no noise. I could make coffee in the morning. The shuttle to and from the airport was convenient. The reception and shuttle to the airport at 5 am was a bit minimalistic but OK. I would stay again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
Anytown
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

The location is not ideal for me. I like the Embassy Suites or the Hyatt Dulles location better.

Otherwise, this was a great Hilton experience. Room Service was good and the food was good. Breakfast wasn't as good as most HGIs or Embassy Suites but good enough.

If you want a full service hotel near Dulles and want to stick with a Hilton brand, I have no problem recommending this hotel. The rooms are nicer than the Embassy Suites and Homewood Suites perhaps due to the timing of the remodels.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

We selected he Hilton for a long weekend in Chantilly/Herndon, Va to visit family. We chose it because my husband is a member of their rewards program and we were relying on the name for a certain level of quality. This area does not boast a large selection of upper end hotels. (For that, stay in DC.) The hotel is located in a commercial complex with nothing nearby. The rooms were large enough and quiet, but certain touches were missing: robes, a safe, mini-bar/refrigerator. Wifi is ~10/day. Incorrect guide to TV channels. I found the bed too soft, but decent linens. We looked at the gym and pool both looked pretty good BUT, no access to the indoor pool from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm. (The outdoor pool was closed.) all in all it was ok, but we will try somewhere else on our next visit. This may turn out to be the best option, but we'll try for something with a few nicer touches.

Room Tip: There were no views to be had. We were over a generator so switched rooms.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
DullesCustServMgr, General Manager at Hilton Washington Dulles Airport, responded to this review, April 1, 2013

We also want to take a moment to thank you for your loyalty to our brand. We aplogize for the incorrect TV guide you received, and will discuss that with the team in order to prevent that from happening again. I'm sorry you were unable to get access to the pool. We do appreciate your compliment about our linens, and hope you return for a better experience in the future. If you have any further questions please email me at greg.langweg@dulleshilton.com.

Fairfax, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

As a diamond member for years, I have never had such a bad experience. The Hilton Honors reservation system system was down, so Honors customer service worked with the front desk to check me under my credit card and when the system was restored would switch it to a rewards stay with no further action on my part.

The next morning I stopped by the front desk to verify the switch had happened and was told it had not, and told me it was impossible. I then explained the what was agreed on last night and that Honors had told me there were in fact two ways to accomplish what they had agreed to and told the front desk how to do it, thirty seconds later the front desk said that it was done.

That same night I inquired about the shuttle service to Dulles, extend my stay another night and verify that it was now being billed correctly as a rewards stay. I was told it was being charged to my credit card, not a rewards stay. Explained for the third time the situation and was again told it was impossible to make the change at this point by the assistant manager. I asked for the GM since at this point it was beyond an error, I had been lied to..It turns out the GM had been standing three feet away on the other side of a pillar at the front desk the entire ten minutes I was trying to resolve this. He proceeded to ask what the issue was after standing there while I was explaining it three feet away. He carried on that it couldn't be done at this point and this demised into a shouting match at the front desk in the lobby, I am ashamed that I raised my voice but I had had enough of being lied to. After a call to Honors customer service by the front desk, the so called "impossible" was done.

Aside from the error, subsequent lying and lack of customer service, the building, grounds and rooms are nice. Room service was polite and grateful. The rates were a good value if this had not been a rewards stay. The management, front desk staff and bell staff seemed like they were just killing time until their next job and that hospitality was not a career choice based on my interactions with them and their attitudes.

Room Tip: Stayed on the first floor due to traveling with a pet and it was a great room, no issues with noise.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
DullesCustServMgr, General Manager at Hilton Washington Dulles Airport, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Dear Sir,

Thank you for your remarks and review. I apologize for the technical difficulties you encountered at the front desk. I also want to apologize on behalf of the whole team for the unpleasant experience you had. We will research and discuss with our team into why these errors were not rectified from the very beginning. We value your loyalty to our brand, and assure what you experienced is not the norm. We do our best to provide excellent customer service, and really take pride in doing so. We hope you will give us another opportunity upon your return to the area. Please feel free to contact me directly at greg.langweg@dulleshilton.com if you have any further concerns.

world
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

This hotel is near, and offers free shuttle service, to Dulles airport and Air & Space museum. Rooms are large, clean and quiet. Bed is comfortable. Service meets Hilton standards. One bathrobe is provided, even in a room reserved for two, but no slippers. Bathroom items are of good quality. Bathroom door is in the wrong place. The business park location prevents walking to shops and restaurants. However the hotel food is limited but good. A small gift shop is located on the second floor. Room rate for king double in March was $102 with breakfast and taxes, making this a good value.

Dallas, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

Stayed on business from March 18th to March 22nd. Ordered Room Service on March 18th, a simple hamburger, and it was raw in the center ($13 burger). Large group of teens (5 Charter buses) checked in on March 20th at 10pm. They ran up and down the halls, banged on doors, yelling/screaming in the rooms/hallways, and the chaperone's weren't much more respectful. They should've put them on their own floor or had better security. Few elevators to begin with, but particularly noticeable when one breaks (March 20th). I will never stay there again. Staff was apologetic, but not worth more than $80 per night in my opinion. Didn't expect this at a Hilton property.

Room Tip: Stay near the elevators, but not too close. Make sure the Ice Machine is far away to avoid noise.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
DullesCustServMgr, General Manager at Hilton Washington Dulles Airport, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
Dear RickFromDallasTexas,

Thank you for your review, and I’m so sorry you had an unpleasant experience with your room service. We will bring you concern to the attention of the Director of Food and Beverage. I also want to apologize for the noise you encountered with any other guests staying with us on property. We will look at ways to improve on the issues that you brought to our attention. We do value you as a customer and hope you can give us another opportunity to serve you, and hope to exceed your expectations upon your next visit to the area. Feel free to contact me directly if have any further questions or concerns at greg.langweg@dulleshilton.com.

Belfast, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013 via mobile

The Hilton at Herndon is a above average but typical airport hotel. Conveniently located near the airport and with good facilities. The hotel is pleasant in the lobby and communal areas with good WiFi access in most areas.

The rooms are spacious and in good repair with good furnishings. The Executive Lounge is acceptable although a little small and busy in the mornings for breakfast, so get there early. The breakfast on offer is more than adequate.

The gym facilities are excellent: great sized area with plenty of equipment and all pretty up to date and modern.

The bar and restaurant food was a let down though. The lunch buffet, while very reasonably priced, was pretty bland and most of the food on offer was dried out and mushy, even at the start of the service. The bar restaurant wasn't much better for dinner. Reasonable menu, but again the food was a let down: the steaks in particular being too and overcooked. I guess that is to be expected from an airport hotel bar!

However, as a pleasant hotel for an overnight stay, it's one of the better airport hotels I've stayed at.

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
KMcCorry,

Thank you so much for the review. I'm happy that we were a good fit for you and in good proximity to the airport for your needs. We really are very appreciative for you kind words in regards with your experience to our spacious rooms, executive lounge breakfast, lobby, furnishings, and "excellent" gym facilities! We do apologize for the Food and Beverage experience, and this will be discussed with the appropriate managers. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to the northern Virginia/DC area. Thank you for choosing our hotel, and it would be a pleasure of ours to exceed your expectations in the future.

Warm Regards,

Greg Langweg

Been to Hilton Washington Dulles Airport? Share your experiences!