“Not made to feel welcome” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
2X HHonors Points
Ranked #9 of 20 hotels in Herndon
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Not made to feel welcome”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

As a diamond member, I am used to being treated well at any of the Hilton chain, so I was very surprised at the brusque welcome given to me, by what turned out to be the duty manager.

The hotel itself was pretty well what you would expect, particularly for an airport one, although I did find it somewhat difficult to find at first.

Breakfast OK

Room Tip: Avoid the duty manager at check in!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
DullesCustServMgr, General Manager at Hilton Washington Dulles Airport, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Dear kmcottrell,

I offer my deepest apologies for any customer service issue you encountered at our property. We will discuss your review with our team to discuss the concern you brought to our attention in order to provide exceptional service in the future. We hope you return to give us another opportunity. From our whole team we do value your loyalty and hope to see you again upon your next visit to the Dulles area. Feel free to contact me directly at greg.langweg@dulleshilton.com.

818 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

Really aging hotel withou tthe services that you expect from Hilton. The room was a nice size, but showing its age, especially the carpets, bathroom (shower) and A/C. The bathroom floor was slick marble and very slippery when you get out of the shower.
Other services that premium HHonors members expect are also low-balled. The breakfast benefit is only in the Exec lounge and pretty mediocre. The evening happy hour you actually have to pay for ($5/drink).
This latest visit, the hotel was filled up with high school kids, even on the Exec floor, and just never quietted down.
Stay here occassionally and often pay up to $300+ per night. Went to the Hyatt this time for a meeting. Seemed like a fresher, cleaner, better option.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
DullesCustServMgr, General Manager at Hilton Washington Dulles Airport, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
COtraveller69,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and give us your feedback. We are happy that you liked the size of the room we were able to accomodate you with. Our team will consider all the suggestions you offered in your review. We are scheduled to go through room renovations in the near future. I do apologize for any disturbances you may have encountered while staying with us. Please contact me directly if you would like to discuss your concerns any further. We do appreciate you choosing our hotel and hope to better serve you again in the future. Our team works very hard to provide you with excellent service and we hope to exceed your expectations upon your next visit.

Greg.Langweg@dulleshilton.com
Johnstown, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

Pros: The rooms were clean and the staff was friendly and willing to help out. The hotel featured a nice lounge area (Drinks Were Pricey, though $5.50 for a bottled beer), pool, and fitness center, along with plenty of parking and a covered loading/unloading area. The hotel was minutes away from the sites of the hockey tournament we were attending.

Cons: The hotel offers a free shuttle to the nearby Air and Space Museum which saves you the cost of parking there, but they forgot to come and pick us up, until we called and reminded them. They charge for wireless internet which is offered at hotels we visited that charge much less per night and when you buy the internet, you can only use it on the one device you buy it on which is bad if you have multiple devices.

Room Tip: Ask for a room by the elevators. The corridors are long and winding so expect to walk to get to your...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
DullesCustServMgr, General Manager at Hilton Washington Dulles Airport, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
jtwned24,

We appreciate your feedback regarding our hotel. Thank you for your great comments regarding our staff and rooms. We do apologize for any incovenience you experienced with our shuttle. I will bring this to the attention to our appropriate managers to ensure this does not happen again. Thank you for choosing our hotel and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Wolfeboro, New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

With about seven years out of the last twenty spent in hotels, there are a few that I truly look forward to staying in and this is one of them.

The superbly maintained condition of the property belies it's age (early '80's construction?). For ANY property, not just an older one, the condition of this hotel is excellent. Kudos to the maintenance staff for keeping this property always looking fresh.

If you can swing it, get one of the "junior suites". You will not be disappointed. These rooms are quite large and very, very comfortable. These rooms have to be my favorite of all in memory. Superb bedding (at least for my tastes), very nice furniture and one of the biggest flat-screen tvs (46"?) in any room I have ever seen and a Samsung to boot.

The rooms are very quiet. The bathrooms very spacious and richly done. No dated little square tiles here. Great towels.

The lounge is very inviting, comfortable and warmly decorated. A very relaxing atmosphere.

A good workout area and pool. No complaints there.

The breakfast buffet was also very good. A little lackingninnthe fresh fruit department this morning and the orange juice was not as cold as it should have been, but overall, very nicely done in a nice atmosphere.

A staff can make or break a guest experience and the staff here is very well trained and very congenial. Louis and Mario in the restaurant this morning deserve extra credit.

I don't see how anyone could be disappointed with their stay here. I have overnighted here at least a couple of dozen times and have found it enjoyable each and every time.

Room Tip: Most rooms here are very quiet.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thank you AbenakiW for the great review!

Our team works hard to provide you with the best customer service and thank you for your great comments about Louis and Mario. I will be sure to share them with the whole team. I will also share with the engineering team your kind comments. We are also scheduling to renovate some of the rooms in the near future. I'm very happy you enjoyed your Executive Lounge experience, and we look forward to having you back to our property soon!

Tulsa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

In my first visit to the Herndon area I chose to stay at the Hilton Washington Dulles Airport Hotel, great decision. From the desk clerk who checked me in, Maria, to the server who took my order for breakfast, Gladys, the people here were genuinely friendly and professional. I really felt at home. I also need to say a word about the food. I ordered room service the first night and had a top notch meal. The blackened ribeye was absolutely delicious and the sauce with it was even better. I went to the hotel restaurant for breakfast and ordered off the menu. It was perfectly gooked and delicious. Great hotel, I'll definitely stay here on my next visit.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
DullesCustServMgr, General Manager at Hilton Washington Dulles Airport, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Thank You Bill G!

We really appreciate the great review regarding our staff, and we will be sure to share this with the whole team. Thank you again for the great comments on the room service and our Food & Beverage team will be notified that you enjoyed the ribeye! We are happy you intend to return and we look forward to welcoming you back when you do.

Kennebunkport, Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel on four separate visits to DC over the last year and a half, and have always had a wonderful experience. The rooms are very clean, quiet and have everything I need. The showers are beautiful!! The bed linens and pillows are a dream!! The staff is extremely helpful, courteous and friendly. Several staff members have actually remember me from visit to visit. I love the executive lounge, well worth the extra expense. On several occasions I have had to extend my visit because of business commitments and they have been very accommodating. I look forward to returning.

Room Tip: Breakfast and dinner (although they don't call it that) are included at the executive level, in...
Thank You circa1826!

We really appreciate your review, and are very happy you have a wonderful experience every time you stay with us. It is our pleasure to serve you. Our team is committed with providing you excellent service, superb cleanliness, and flexibility with any of your business needs. Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to your return.

San Diego
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

This is a Hilton hotel, but the room, and the furnishings look tired and dated. The remote for the TV didn't work and the TV wasn't functioning---bathroom was a strange set up with narrow opening into the shower area. The restaurant was not open, but you could order in the bar--the food was greasy, servers didn't pay attention (no tomato on the salad, and what did I get? tomato on the salad) It seems to me that management isn't paying attention to the details---I would not stay here, I've stayed at the Marriott at the airport, it's an older hotel, but the restaurant is decent and the rooms are well kept.

Room Tip: I wouldn't stay here again
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
DullesCustServMgr, General Manager at Hilton Washington Dulles Airport, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Fooddr,

Thank you for your review and we will discuss your concerns with our food and beverage team. Our rooms are scheduled for upgrades later this year and we apologize for any engineering issues you may have encountered with your TV during your stay. We hope to better serve you in the future, and hope you will give us another opportunity.

Greg Langweg

Been to Hilton Washington Dulles Airport? Share your experiences!