“The Pool is Freezing!” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 20 Hotels in Herndon
Sykesville, Maryland, United States
“The Pool is Freezing!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

We just stayed here overnight in-between ice hockey games my son was playing in nearby. We decided on the Hilton for their reputation on being the best in the industry. My 3 boys just wanted a hotel to be able to swim at but this is definitely not the hotel for that. The indoor swimming pool is a FREEZING 79 DEGREES!. Other families were also complaining about the temperature. We just wanted to stay at a nice hotel with a nice indoor pool and have some nice family time. Instead we got jibbed. We left the hotel very disappointed and will not return to another Hilton Hotel. We were also in no smoking section of the hotel and you could smell the disgusting smoke walking down the hallway. They need to have workers walking the hallways to catch people breaking the laws.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
DullesCustServMgr, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Washington Dulles Airport, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
Dear Greg E,

I'm so sorry the pool was to cold for you. We are sorry that you feel you didnt get the value expected in your stay. Our team takes anyone smoking indoors very seriously and we will address this with the appropriate team members in order to correct and observe these issues better. We hope you don't count us out on your next visit.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (163)
Jefferson, Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

We just returned from our 50th high school reunion which was held at the Hilton Washington Dulles in Herndon, VA. The accommodations for just under 200 people were excellent. The hospitality suite, the large room for the Friday night "Meet and Greet" , and the ballroom for the dinner dance were all beautiful. The buffet was really yummy from the shrimp bisque, the salmon and steak, the wonderful roasted vegetables and the tiramisu and cheesecake...even the coffee was perfect! Kudos to all the staff at this fine hotel and a special thanks to Oscar who hosted and organized the event for the Hilton.

Peter and Carol, class of '62, Washington-Lee Highschool

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012 via mobile

No complaints! Room was comfortable, with great beds and a large bathroom. Complimentary food in the executive lounge was mire than adequate to serve as dinner; they served a full breakfast as well. Easy on and off the highway to Dulles Airport.

• Stayed October 2012
Thank you Marian TB!

We love getting feedback like this! Our team is so happy that you had no complaints, enjoyed your room, bed quality, bathroom size, shuttle service, and the executive lounge perks. We hope to serve you again on your next visit to the area! Thank you again on behalf of the whole Hilton Washington Dulles team.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

Overall very good hotel staff was friendly as usual, but the thing really made it special - was the breakfast, everything you can ask for and outstanding service. Service was very good in every turn. Shuttle service worked well both ways.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Versailles, France
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

This Hilton Hotel is neither disappointing nor surprising. Close call to IAD (Washington Dulles) , Close call to Business park where my Company seats it is the most handy location for me. General update is required about ambiance, rooms deco or Gym, but its is enough for what I need. Not a place for a romance. Staff is well trained & reactive, food could be better, overall good experience. No bad surprise, no good surprise.

Room Tip: Only for Travelers & immediate Business Neighbors
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
DullesCustServMgr, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Washington Dulles Airport, responded to this review, October 13, 2012

We really appreciate your review, and we will discuss with the appropriate directors and managers in order to improve upon what you mentioned in your review. Thank you again for the compliment on our staff being well trained. We really take pride in good customer service. Our team is happy to serve you, and is looking forward to welcoming you back on your next business trip.
Half Moon Bay, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

I stayed here by accident when I missed my connection to get to Lewisburg, WV. I spent an entire day there as the next flight wasn't for 24 hours.

Check in was speedy and my room was quiet and comfortable. The gym was very well equipped. I couldn't use the pool as my luggage had gone ahead, but it looked very inviting.

I made the best of my 'day off' and had a badly needed haircut from the salon at the hotel. Emily was the proprietor and is very experienced and did a great job. I also got a Thai massage from the salon which was also excellent.

At breakfast the buffet choices were very good. Very helpful service from Gladys. The other staff is very well trained and friendly.

You do pay for internet in your room but it is free in the lobby, where I opted to wait after checkout before heading to the airport.

The shuttle from the airport to the hotel seems to come less often than the other airport hotels and arrived after about a half hour of waiting. Going back to the airport was no problem, the drivers are helpful and the shuttle leaves every half hour.

The hotel is isolated, not much within walking distance that I could see. It is close to the Space Museum annex and the shuttle will take you to other nearby places free of charge, but not into DC.

Overall a pleasant experience and I would choose this hotel again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Exeter
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

Where to begin?

I could start with the hotel shuttle driving right past me on a rainy night. Or perhaps taking my shoes off in the room and stepping on to a wet carpet, or eating their food and getting sick or experiencing THE WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE EXPERIENCE I've ever received in a Hilton brand property.

This was a forced stay as my flight was cancelled and the earliest flight that I could take wasn't until early the next morning. Not in the best of moods, especially on a raw and rainy night, I was simply astounded at the fact that the shuttle bus drove right past me and didn't even stop. When I called the hotel to see when the next shuttle was to arrive, I was told "about 45 minutes". In the ten minutes I had already waited, I saw multiple shuttles doing their circuits to the airport....the Marriott, the Hyatt, Holiday Inn, but not the Hilton. This was an ominous start.

Upon check in, I was actually immediately impressed by the lobby. Recently refurbished and done suprisingly well, I was hoping for a good stay, especially based on the excellent experience I had the previous week at the Minneapolis Airport Hilton. Check in with Alex with super efficient, professional and quick. Walking down the halls to the hotel I started to get an ominous feeling with the long dark hallways and the facility looking older and more worn out with each step.

The rooms are large, actually very large but unfortunately, the are also very old. It looks tired, smells stale and is in need of a a major refresh. When I took off my shoes, I realized immediately that the carpet was wet. What a disgusting feeling. I don't even want to begin to think about what the wetness was from. I immediately ordered rooms service and was actually pleasantly surprised by how fast the food arrived. How fast I vomited after eating this meal (no joke) was equally a surprise. Within 45 minutes of eating a meal of of their generic menu, I was throwing up violently.

To say that my experience with the front desk was tense after three poor experience in less than 90 minutes would be a significant understatement. Admittedly,I lost my cool after going around in circles with one apathetic front desk clerk. In my years of traveling, both in the United States and in abroad, in properties that were five stars to guest houses in rural China, I have never met such an unprofessional, poorly trained, patronizing excuse for a company representative. Zero empathy. Questioned my honesty about getting sick. Offered no solutions. Accountability was a foreign term to him and it showed. Apathetic and condescending, this person sullies the entire Hilton brand and is an embarrasment to the entire organization.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
DullesCustServMgr, General Manager at Hilton Washington Dulles Airport, responded to this review, October 11, 2012
Dear Keith T,

On behalf of our whole team I apologize for your experience at the hotel. We are sorry about the shuttle, room quality, food and beverage issue you had with us. Our aim is to provide excellent customer service at our hotel and am very sorry for these lapses. I'm sorry for the weather and wait you had to endure for the next shuttle to arrive. I'm pleased you enjoyed you were impressed by the lobby, and efficiency by Alex at the front desk. We are also sorry for the room service experience. I do apologize for the negative experience you had with the customer service from the front desk. I share a deep regret for any lack of empathy you had by any front desk agent. Please email me directly for further assistance at greg.langweg@dulleshilton.com. This will help me further to identify and correct the situation.

Been to Hilton Washington Dulles Airport? Share your experiences!