“A total "average" experience” 3 of 5 stars

571-203-0203
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Finnegan's Sports Bar & Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #105 of 184 Restaurants in Herndon
Cuisines: American
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Sunrise Valley
Great Falls, Virginia
“A total "average" experience”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

We live within walking distance, so that's why we went. It was raining and convenient for us. For drivers, there is plenty of free parking. It was early on a Saturday night, and they were not busy. We were seated promptly and our waitress appeared immediately. First disappointment - we each ordered a glass of their house chardonnay ($6). She returned to tell us they were out of house chardonnay, but she could substitute another for $8. Really? Out of house chardonnay at a bar-restaurant? Maybe it's just me, but that was their fault, not ours. It seems they should have offered us the substitute at the house-price.

We each ordered the Steak & Ale - a decent value at $16. A modest cut of meat served with vegetables and fries/mashed potatoes. AND - a nice pint of anything they had on draft! THAT was a good value, as the regular price for drafts is $5-$6.

The restaurant was clean and there was a nice mix of families, singles and couples. Not a romantic spot, for sure. In fact, there is an abundance of TV's everywhere, including each both with a small private flat-screen. To me, that is annoying to a good conversation and a distraction in general. But again, maybe it's just me!

There is an outdoor patio dining area, but the view is of a grocery store parking lot. Again, not romantic but if you've been stuck inside all day, it might work.

We will go again and hope they are not out of house chardonnay!

• Visited July 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Oceanside, California
“Passable Food, Pricey Drinks, Indifferent Service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2012

Not sure I need to say much more than what I've written in the title. As we approached Finnegan's, a drunken patron in the outside seating shouted something about my choice of clothes, then started in on someone else. If you serve alcohol, you do need to keep an eye on your patrons. We made the mistake of ignoring him and going inside anyway.

We were seated pretty quickly after reporting the drunk, and waited on by an attractive, yet lifeless young waitress. Drinks came slowly and our icky pretzel appetizer came even more slowly! I don't know - maybe it was just a bad choice, but it was just salty bread with a bland mustard dipping sauce. You want an hors douvres to light up your taste buds, but this fell waaay short.

The entrees were inexpensive. I think that’s it for the good. I had the fish n chips; pretty nice pieces of fish battered and fried and piled onto pretty nice fries! But if there is such thing as too hot, this was it. By the time I could eat the fish, the batter had started to pull away from the fish – basically leaving me with a fried batter plus fish dinner. Not a great experience – I don’t know much about breaded or battered fish, but the bread or batter needs to stay on the fish. I think that’s a rule. Don’t know where I read it.

My wife had the something something Irish Decker sandwich which was both tasteless and stale. Served on some sort of wheat bread that might have been out too long, the menu promised, “Corned beef, turkey, Swiss cheese, tomato, cabbage and horseradish on multigrain”. They clearly under delivered. No dressing of any sort – horseradish or otherwise – which left cabbage, winter tomato etc to garnish the cold meat and cheese. Yeccch…

Lastly, the beverages. I think they have drink specials Finnegan’s, but we must have missed it by a mile. My wife requested a glass of “house pinot grigio” and the bill tells us that it was $8. My draft beer – I did get Bass Ale – was $6. So the drinks cost almost as much as the food.

Having said all that, I’ve heard from at least one friend that they do run happy hour specials with cheap snacks and inexpensive beer. Maybe that’s the way to watch the next Nationals or Redskins game. Otherwise, probably won’t be back anytime soon.

• Visited April 2012