“Bunk Mate Hotel” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 20 hotels in Herndon
DC
“Bunk Mate Hotel”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

I always had the impression that these hotels were nice....I was mistaken. Let me start off by saying the staff we encountered were very nice. The girl that worked the evening/night shift was EXCEPTIONAL (wish I remembered her name) especially for Northern VA area. Once you past the lobby it was like entering into another world. When ou start walking down the hall to the elevator you are overwhelmed with the stench of stale cigarette smoke and I felt like I was sitting in an ashtray in the elevator. The floor we were on was smelly as well, but that maybe from people cooking. Once in the room I almost started crying. The room was dingy, dark, and outdated. I made sure my husband did not put anything on the floor (thank goodness, keep reading). My husband was willing to switch hotels (what a sweet man), but since his work was paying I said let's just stay, I will work through it. The bathroom was basic, walls were kind of dirty and the toilet would fill every 5 minutes or so. The bed was okay, the pillow smelled like an oily man. I did a quick, but not thorough bedbug check at the mattress and I did not see any signs. Needless to say I made it through the week. The last morning while brushing my teeth in the bathroom I looked up and there was a roach crawling on the wall. EEEEKKKK. I was calm, because I knew we were checking out that day. When we checked out I let the girl at the front desk know, and she was very apologetic and surprised. Summary: If you have high expectations when staying in hotels this is probably not the hotel for you. I did see lots of "business" type of men checking in, so this is probably a good hotel for men, my husband was okay with it.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
cndlherndon, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Washington, Dulles Herndon, responded to this review, November 19, 2013
Dear RUREC95,

We value all guest comments and suggestions and we thank you for letting us know that you were less than satisfied during your stay. Given the description you have mentioned in your review, it is more than likely you were put on the floor where we hold some smoking rooms. I apologize for the inconvenience this has caused you. Given the chance, we would have been more than happy to relocate you to a suite on a different floor. Moreover, to address the smell of food on your floor, we are working hard to ensure that our microwave exhaust filters stay clean all the time to lessen the smell emitted by people cooking in their kitchens. Please know that you are always welcome to let us know if there’s anything we can do to improve your stay. We are here to assist you no matter what time of day.

As for the roach you saw in your bathroom, we were very alarmed to hear this news as we have never had an issue like this in the past. We are now in the process of inspecting all our rooms to make sure that this was just an isolated incident. I hope you will give us an opportunity to make things right for you next time you and your husband are in the area. It is unfortunate that we did not make a good impression on you and we want to change your mind about our hotel. Our hotel will have our kitchens and bathrooms upgraded and we hope you will get to see them when they’re done. Again, we thank you for writing us a review and we hope you’ll give us another chance to be of service to you.

131 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Crossville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

I cannot say enough about the hotel and staff. The friendliest staff who genuinely care about customer service which seems to be rare nowadays. I stayed three evenings and was swamped with personal work so I basically hibernated and worked into the early morning hours. Somehow because of my crazy hours I forgot my checkout day and slept late that morning and was relaxing in the room having put the do not disturb sign on the door. About 3 hours PAST check out time there was a knock on my door and the staff was asking if I wanted to stay over. I thought I had another day and apologized profusely and hurried to pack out of the room. The staff could not have been any nicer and did not charge me a late checkout. I had an evening appointment 4 hours away and would have missed it had not management checked on me. To say I was grateful for their kindness would be an understatement. The room was the most comfortable I have stayed in in months. with full amenities, Flat screen TV and video and DVD player, Full size refrigerator and Microwave sink and stove. Comfortable desk, plenty of outlets, huge soft towels, FREE guest laundry, and a handy pantry, business center, and workout room. WOW what more could you want! I will be back when in the area again. Thanks to all for a wonderful stay!

Room Tip: Convenient shopping and restaurants close by,
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
cndlherndon, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Washington, Dulles Herndon, responded to this review, November 15, 2013
Dear FullTimeTravelerBF,

Thank you for writing a wonderful review about your experience with us. As a team, we work together to ensure each and every guest feels special and well taken cared of. Glad to hear we have accomplished that during your stay. Besides the amenities you have already mentioned, please keep in mind that we also offer free use of the grills in our gazebo area as well as a free lending library with a wide selection of DVDs, CDs and Books. We are looking forward to your next visit with us, thank you for choosing Candlewood Suites Herndon!
Petaluma, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

This hotel is only nine miles from the Washington-Dulles Airport, there is Metro nearby as well as many restaurants.
Clean! Very clean, desk help is very accommodating, FREE laundry room which was a plus, small workout room and a Cupboard (little store) that supplied one with all they need for a comfortable stay. I was impressed.

Room Tip: These suites do not have king size beds.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
cndlherndon, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Washington, Dulles Herndon, responded to this review, October 16, 2013
Dear BarbDunaway,

We are surely delighted to hear that we have impressed you with our service and amenities. Our close proximity to Dulles Airport is an added bonus to our location. If you are exhausted from your travel and needed to rest, you won’t have to travel very far from the airport because we are less than 10 minutes away. The nearest Metro station is about 20 minutes from our hotel. You have a choice of either driving there or taking the bus (weekdays) that stops in front of our hotel.

We hope you will keep us in mind in your next trip to the DC area. Thank you for writing us a wonderful review!
Guildford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

Ticked all the boxes for good business stay near Dulles airport, barely 10 minutes drive from rental car lots or terminal. Good value for the area, very clean, comfortable beds, practical kitchenette, obviously occasional noise from the airport but no real problem. The 'Candlewood Cupboard' is a novel idea, and fitness centre and free laundry will appeal. Oh, nearly forgot staff, both charming and helpful!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
cndlherndon, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Washington, Dulles Herndon, responded to this review, October 10, 2013
Dear Chymron,

Thank you for writing a review about your experience with our hotel. We are happy that you were pleased with our amenities and staff. We strive hard to ensure we keep our hotel clean and all our guests happy. We hope to be of service to you again in the future. Please come back and see us again soon.
Shenzhen, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

I stayed at Candlewood Suites for 1 and a half moths. It is clean and the servce is good. The cupboard is open for 24 hours and you can get the thing you want. It is a good place for you to stay long term.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
cndlherndon, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Washington, Dulles Herndon, responded to this review, October 3, 2013
Dear Wei G.,

It was a great pleasure being of service to you during the month and a half you were in our hotel. We are glad you had a good stay with us. We hope to see you again soon. Thank you for writing us a review.
Beijing
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013 via mobile

This was an excellent choice from a tired traveller who had just arrived from Beijing. Very close to Dulles. The rooms were very clean and the free laundry was an added bonus. Only complaint was the elliptical machine was not working.

• Stayed September 2013
Dear Susan H.,

We value all the comments we receive from our guests and we thank you for taking the time to write us one. Our housekeeping team works very hard to ensure that our rooms are always spic and span, and so it is always a delight when someone takes notice of that. Thank you!

As for our elliptical machine, we have it running again. Thank you for bringing it to our attention. We hope you get the chance to stay with us again in the future. It will be a pleasure to be of service to you again soon.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

My partner & I reserved the one bedroom suite & really like the fact that it feels like a comfortable apartment rather than a motel. In terms of budget accomodation, this place is great. Even though Dulles airport is very close, its quiet & homely. My partner & I were originally thinking we would stay at the Staybridge Suites nearby, however the price was a little high for our budget, needing to keep it at $100 a night or under. We couldn't be happier with Candlewood. The free onsite washer/dryer facilities, the 24hr "cupboard" for drinks & snacks as well as the very friendly & efficient staff make this a good place to stay at a good price.

Room Tip: The ground floor is raised a little meaning that you don't have too keep your blinds closed &...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
cndlherndon, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Washington, Dulles Herndon, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Dear Ezmae1980,

Thank you for writing a review about your experience with us. We are happy that you were comfortable during your stay and that you appreciate the amenities we offer. Besides the free washer and dryer, we also offer a fitness center as well as a business center, open 24 hours. Our gas grills outside in our gazebo are also available for your use at any time.

Should you be back in the DC area again, we hope you will give us a chance to be of service to you again. It was a pleasure having you in our hotel, thank you for staying at the Candlewood Suites-Herndon!

Been to Candlewood Suites Washington, Dulles Herndon? Share your experiences!