“Great value” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 20 Hotels in Herndon
La Ceja, Antioquia, Colombia
“Great value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

Candlewood Suites doesn't have a lot of amenities, but it offers a lot for the money. The Herndon property seems to be well-run and is a good representative for the brand.

I just needed a place to stay for 9 hours after arriving on a late-night flight into Dulles. I looked on my company travel website for choices, and Candlewood Suites was the best value. There were lower cost hotels that were much farther from the airport or appeared to be very low end. There were plenty of hotels that cost 50% more and would offer a few more amenities. Even though I was not traveling on my own dime, I could not see spending so much more for the small difference.

For me, the difference in amenities that you don't get here that you would get at say, a higher-end Intercontinental brand are:

- You just get queen-sized bed with regular linens - no 400 count thread here.
- Furniture is definitely purchased on a tight budget, but it's functional
- Bathroom toiletries are not great.
- They don't clean every day, because it is intended to be a long-term stay. No effect on me when I am there one night.
- No trash can in the bathroom (this I don't understand, and it is the one thing that annoys me about the chain, since I don't think it would cost much).

In return for the minor inconveniences listed above, you pay about 1/3 less and you get the honor canteen, which I like a lot (more below).

I liked the lock box in the lobby. I arrived after 11:00, so the desk was not staffed. There was a set of small "mailboxes" in the entry with first names on them. All I had to do was locate my name and enter the first three letters of my last name. The room key and welcoming information was inside. There is a number to call if you need help after hours. NOTE: I asked what would happen if there were people with the same first name. In that case, they use the last name and you enter the first three letters of your first name.

One thing I love about Candlewood is the honor system canteen. Even though it was late, I was able to find something decent to eat, which is not always the case even with higher-end hotels. There is a good selection of items that you can microwave in your room, or you can even buy some stuff that you can cook on the stove. I will note the canteen here was a little smaller and had less selection than others I have seen in the chain, but it was still satisfactory. The free coffee in the canteen is probably one of the best free hotel coffees that I have ever had.

The room and the rest of the hotel appeared to be clean. The internet speed was good. The hotel is located in a sort of office park that is quiet - no need to worry about outside noise here.

If you just need a place to stay, and aren't looking for a destination hotel experience, Candlewood Suites is a great value and the Herndon property lives up to the name.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
cndlherndon, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Washington, Dulles Herndon, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Dear Coolcoil,

We are happy that you pointed out the things you think is great and not-so-great about our hotel. It is beneficial for our hotel to learn how we can improve our service and so we are very appreciative of your review. The Candlewood Suites brand is designed to accommodate the extended stay traveler who is budget-conscious. To keep our rates low, we offer basic amenities that most of the travelers need. Although we don’t offer the amenities a full service hotel does, we make up for it by providing quality service. It is our top priority to ensure that our guests are comfortable and happy during their stay.

We are delighted to know you are pleased with our food selection in the Candlewood Cupboard and that you found it easy to do our after-hours registration. If by any chance you come back and stay with us again, we hope you won’t miss the trash bin we have in the cabinet under the bathroom sink. You should also find in there an extra tissue and toilet paper for your use. Again, we thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay and we hope to be of service to again the future

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
herndon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

This is the best hotel. I have stayed here repeatedly since 2004, often long term when I am transitioning back after working overseas. Peter and his staff welcome me like family coming home. Many of the staff have been here for years, Dan, Katie, Princess, Marta. I cannot say enough about how good the staff are, nothing is too much trouble! Rooms are good, well set up with dishwasher, microwave and 2 burner hotplate. Free laundry facilities as well.
Great access to Dulles airport, and close to park and ride lot for transport to downtown DC.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
cndlherndon, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Washington, Dulles Herndon, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Thank you Lynn B for your excellent review! It is such a delight to welcome you back year after year, and we appreciate your continued patronage of our hotel. We are glad that our team is a big factor in your decision to come back and stay with us again. We try to be consistent with our service, always making sure that each and every guest gets the special treatment they deserve. We hope to continue serving you in the many years to come. Looking forward to your next visit with us.
Little Elm, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for almost 4 months on a project.
It was a peaceful place, felt like home. The receptionist are great and the room cleaners are also friendly.

Will recommend this hotel to anybody anytime. I give them 99.999%

Room Tip: I prefer rooms facing the road so I can see whats going on...lol
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
cndlherndon, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Washington, Dulles Herndon, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Such a wonderful review, Dayo J! Thank you for giving us a 99.999% We are happy you got to experience the Candlewood Suites Herndon team's hospitality. We love our guests and we do all that we can do to make you feel at home with us. We hope we get to be of service to you again. Thank you for the recommendation and for spending four months of your time with us.
Rockville, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

Stayed one night in May for an early morning flight from Dulles. Staff helpful, but hotel rather worn and had the feeling of a nice shelter! TV was old and very basic. However, the rooms come with a kitchen and the bed was comfortable and the bathroom clean. Would be helpful if it offered a shuttle to the airport.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Washington, Dulles Herndon, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Dear KirstyGharavi,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments online. I am pleased that you found our staff to be helpful and the bed accommodations to be comfortable. However, please accept my apology that the ambiance on site did not completely suit your liking.

I hope we get the opportunity to show you some of our improvements on your next trip to the area.

Pam G
Case Manager
IHGCare
New Delhi, Delhi, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

I had to stay at the hotel while in transit. The location is great, located next to the airport. The staff is good, specially Katie at the front desk was very helpful and quickly accommodated our requests.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for writing us a review, Siddhartha A., I'll make sure Katie reads your comment about her. Please come back and stay with us again next time you are back in the Washington/Dulles area.
New Orleans, Louisiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

I lived at the Herndon Candlewood Suites for an extended period (over a year) and so I know it very well. The entire staff was professional, friendly and very accommodating. This includes the management, front desk staff, housekeeping and maintenance. The folks at the front desk always greeted me with a genuine warm smile and friendly demeanor. When I had special requests the management was always willing to work with me. Maintenance was quick and unobtrusive. The housekeeping staff was friendly and efficient. The facilities were clean, the parking lot convenient and ample spaces, and the hotel is in a very nice and safe area. The only reason I did not give a "5" rating is that some of the furnishings were marginal (specifically the recliner and the electric stove top). That being said, I had an exceptional experience and would not hesitate to make this my first choice when visiting Herndon.

Room Tip: Behind the elevator in the corner of the building. Your room is bordered by electrical and engineer...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear bnk058,

First of all, thank you for staying with us for more than a year. By choosing to spend a considerable amount of your time in our hotel, you let us know that we are doing what we are here to do. As an extended stay hotel, we do our best to give excellent accommodations that reminds you of being home, and so it is a delight to know that you considered us your "home away from home". We hope you'll come back and spend time with us again. Guests like you are always welcome to our hotel. Thank you for writing us a wonderful review.
Greenville, SC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

I stayed for 4 nights, knowing there would be no daily cleaning nor breakfast which were both fine. The courtesy of the front office folks, especially Princess, was amazing. My big special need was for late checkout, which was granted. I would definitely stay here again.
If you are looking for a quiet place, very clean, with pretty good internet, you will like it fine. It's more space and privacy than a hotel room, plus a real kitchen! On the other hand if you're looking for a fancy place with new furnishings you may be disappointed.
If you're looking for restaurants, the Herndon Town Center is within walking distance for a good walker. It has a huge selection.

Room Tip: If you'll be using the elevator a lot, note that it is not centered so some rooms will be far fr...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
cndlherndon, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Washington, Dulles Herndon, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Thank you SouthernFamilyOf3 for taking the time to write a review about your stay. It is a delight to know that we were able to accommodate your needs during your stay. We do our best to ensure everyone gets quality service and clean, comfortable rooms at all times. I'll be happy to let Princess know you mentioned her name in your review. Thank you for staying at our hotel and we hope to be of service to you again in the future.

Been to Candlewood Suites Washington, Dulles Herndon? Share your experiences!