“Great expecations, average experience” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #4 of 20 hotels in Herndon
Los Angeles, California
“Great expecations, average experience”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

And ours wasn't very good. The thing about getting off on the wrong foot is that other little thing is amplified. At check-in, the front desk gave us the key to Room 209 and we went in an discovered someone else was already in that room; his suitcases were on the floor. Used the in-room phone to call and say there was a problem, and the front-desk told me I had to come back to resolve it. I replied, calmly, "No, you need to come up here." I was hung up on. A manager did appear and took us to Room 226, apologized, gave us a $5 voucher for the store. The room was dreary but fine. There were the usual motel-like issues--cracked caulk in the bathroom, lumpy bed--that contributed to the dreariness. Among the other issues: We had a message, called to try to retrieve it, got a repeated busy signal, then called the front desk to ask 1. how to log in to wireless and 2. what the message was. Turns out the message was the new password for wireless and the front desk said it would turn off the blinking light and kill the message. The light blinked for the rest of our stay and I never could retrieve our message. On the morning of Day 3, we turned in our towels and asked for a set of fresh but only bath towels were available. Desk said hand towels and washcloths would be brought up to us. They never were. The coffeemaker died on the third day. Mind you, none of these is major (except for being let into someone else's room),but they undermine the good aspects, which include the free washers and dryers, good wireless and good flat-screen TVs. I think all of the good reviews heightened my expectations, so I am partly to blame. But let's face it: A two-star place is still going to have things like piles of guest garbage left at the end of the hall for 12-14 hours, dirty elevators with cracker crumbs on the floor and rooms with chipped paint. I wanted to love this place. Turns out it was a four-night stand and not a love match.

Room Tip: Make sure the room you're sent to isn't occupied.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
cndlherndon, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Washington, Dulles Herndon, responded to this review, October 17, 2012
Dear CatHamm, I apologize we did not meet your expectations during your stay.To address some of your issues, I would like to let you know that although our rooms are not as contemporary-looking as other newer hotels, they are always kept clean. It is also standard that our rooms have a fully-equipped kitchen with a full-size fridge, toaster, microwave oven, dishwasher, stovetop and a DVD player -- which most hotels don’t offer. I am sorry the message light did not stop blinking during your stay. We could have turned the light off should you have mentioned to us that it did not turn off the first time we did it. I wish we could have done something to make your stay a lot better or was given the chance to make things right for you. We are not trying to compete with other higher class hotels, but I am happy to say that we are one of the best in our class. Thank you for allowing us to serve you. I hope this experience won’t deter you in staying at a Candlewood brand in the future. Please give us another chance to be of service to you again.

131 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Plano, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel for my business trip and would recommend this hotel to anyone staying for long term. Staff is nice and friendly ( especiallyGlenn and Dan).
I am planning to return this hotel in August.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
cndlherndon, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Washington, Dulles Herndon, responded to this review, September 3, 2012
Thank you for your recommendation of our hotel on tripadvisor Arun G! I am happy you had a pleasant stay with us. We hope to see again in the future.
Raleigh NC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012 via mobile

Aside from the above, the energy is very good here. I do not know if everyone understands that, but it is a big deal to me.

I travel on business more than half the year so finding the right place is important to me.

The beds and sheets are comfortable. Everything i need is here, even a surprise two-sided microwave container -plus popcorn - in the micro when i opened it. It was better than chocolate on the pillow in other hotels. The studio apartment is roomy, has a comfortable recliner, too. The desk area has multiple outlet receptacles, a standard chair plus an office style chair. There are two phones, a laundry basket, and plenty cookware / utensils. The dresser is generously sized and nothing feels skimpy.

After the last fiasco at Aloft Dulles, I am pleasantly surprised and grateful to have found this place!

The clock did not work properly and was replaced without an attitude (what more can one ask for?).

• Stayed July 2012
Thank you for a wonderful review BJMillerRaleighNC! I am thrilled to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. We do our best to provide clean, comfortable rooms where you can feel at home. It is good we achieved that during your stay. Please come back and see us again next time. Looking forward to being of service to you in the future.
Roswell, Georgia, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2012

The staff is very nice and friendly (specially Princess from the front desk). The hotel is clean and close to restaurants, groceries and movie theater. If you are looking for a place to stay in for a long term or even a short term, this is it.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Thank You Patricia D for taking the time to write us a review. I am glad you had a good stay with us and that our staff made you comfortable while you are here. We hope to see you again soon!
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2012

I'm a medical professional that travels throughout the US. I have stayed in my share of hotels and this particular hotel is one of the best. Everything from the location to the staff is amazing!! I would recommend this hotel to anyone visiting the area... I plan on returning in November for a family vacation and this is the place that we will stay!! I can not thank the staff enough (especially Princess) for making my 6 month stay enjoyable!! Family and pet friendly environment!! My company will continue to utilize this hotel for all other corporate stays!!! Thank you Candlewood staff for the terrific service that you provide!!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
cndlherndon, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Washington, Dulles Herndon, responded to this review, June 20, 2012
I appreciate your review Claudine R! The Candlewood Suites Herndon team is here to ensure that you have a wonderful stay at our hotel. I am glad we achieved that during your stay. I will make sure Princess and the team gets to read your review. Thank you for your recommendation on Tripadvisor, we are looking forward to serving you and your company again in the future.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2012 via mobile

Central Hotel, good neighborhood, excellent service, nice rooms, business center, laundry washing possible, fitness center, wireless, free movies at the desk, air conditioning. Behind the house is a fully equipped barbecue place for everyone to use. Everyone was helpful and friendly. I had a very nice 8-night stay!

• Stayed May 2012
cndlherndon, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Washington, Dulles Herndon, responded to this review, May 30, 2012
I appreciate your review SalsaMina. I am happy you had a nice stay and that you were able to take advantage of our wonderful amenities. Thank you for giving us the opportunity to serve you. Please keep us in mind next time you come to the DC area in the future.
Herndon, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2012

Excellent hotel fantastic and very friendly staff. Princess is incredable front desk. The staff become like family I love this place. I travel a lot and usually stay at five star hotels which is great. This is not a five star hotel but the staff and front desk make it one with how they treat people and are so friendly. I could not recommend any where more for long term stay.
Dennis M. Butts Chairman/CEO Military Comm Networks, Inc.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
cndlherndon, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Washington, Dulles Herndon, responded to this review, May 28, 2012
Thank you Dennis B for posting a positive review about our hotel. As an extended stay hotel, we don't offer all that a five-star hotel offers but we do our best to provide clean rooms and excellent service at all times. I am happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you consider us like family. I'll be sure to pass along your good comments to the whole staff.

It was a pleasure having you in our hotel and we hope you'll come stay with us again in the future. Thank you!

Been to Candlewood Suites Washington, Dulles Herndon? Share your experiences!