“Good place for a stay-over” 3 of 5 stars

Save 20%
Ranked #8 of 20 Hotels in Herndon
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Nuremberg, Germany
“Good place for a stay-over”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2012

Coming from Germany to Washington I stayed just for one night but it was a great stay. Free shuttle bus from the airport, friendly welcome, comfortable room with full kitchen, living room and sleeping room. Comfortable bed and clean bathroom. Only one thing bothered me was the reconstruction of the rooms below my apartment - had to take my bag upstairs and got very dirt. The outside stairs were very dusty and I took it into my suite. The construction work started on Saturday morning shortly after 8 - so also a little bit early after a long flight...Breakfast was ok - free internet didn't work because the connection was to weak - we work on that was the answer.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Centurion, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2012

We decided to sleep over near Washington Dulles airport for one night, on our way to catch our connecting flight back home.
After having toured the USA for a month we experienced this hotel as the most pleasant hotel we stayed at. Our only regret was that we did not plan to stay longer.
They provide a complimentary shuttle from the airport and the reception staff was found to be very friendly and efficient. This hotel is located in a quiet area and the rooms were found to be immaculate clean. The two bedroom unit we stayed in, was ideal for a family of four. It also contains a living room and a fully equipped kitchen.
They also provide a nice complimentary breakfast.
The shuttle was also available to drop us off at the nearby shopping centre where we had dinner. We were informed to just give the front desk a call after dinner, and they would send the shuttle to collect us again. After our meal we called the hotel, but were informed that the shuttle had been sent to the airport and was caught up in heavy traffic, and was delayed for an indefinite period. We then made the decision to take the 15 minute walk back to the hotel in sub zero temperature. Upon our arrival at the hotel we were partially frozen and were received in a very sympathetic and apologetic way by the staff member on duty at the front desk. Out of sympathy he offered us each a free...................ice cream (no joke), that my daughter and I gladly accepted.(seriously!)

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Dundee, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

As a Priority Club elite member, i've stayed in a number of Staybridge properties. This is the first I've been at that wasn't built as a Staybridge. Staff told me it had been a Summerfield Suites previously, but the apartment style layout screamed that it had been an early Residence Inn. When I realized how old this property was I did get nervous. In my experience early Residence Inns tend to be maintenance hogs and part of the reason why Marriott moved away from the design.

Check in staff was gracious. My status was recognized, and upgrade offered without asking, which can be rare in IHG properties. I was notified that renovations were ongoing.

The building my suite was in seemed to be in good repair, but sadly in need of a fresh coat of paint. The suite itself was in a similar state. Decent shape. Signs of partial upgrades in the past. Microwave and cooktop replaced, but dishwasher and refrigerator were original. Looked clean, but my white socks picked up plenty of dirt from the carpet. Hopefully it will be replaced in the renovations.

The wired Internet access connected easily, but like others I was unable to get the wireless to connect. The breakfast was good, with plenty of choices. However, there was a huge difference in upkeep of the breakfast area between Saturday and Sunday. Obviously fewer staff working, tables were left dirty, we had to clean our own before sitting.

Overall there's nothing that would prevent me from staying here again. Located in a business park, they were a great value on the weekend. But be sure to ask for a renovated room!

• Stayed February 2012
Roanoke, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2012

We recently spent 4 nights at this location. Having stayed at Staybridge Suites in the past we were a little disappointed with our stay. I have to admit we had high expectations because of the excellent service and quality we have experienced at other Staybridge locations. There was nothing out-right unacceptable but there was a lot of room for improvements.

PROS:
-Nice quite location. The area seems very safe and is nearly silent, especially at night. Don't worry about the close location to the airport. We never noticed air traffic sounds. You are only a few miles from every sort of restaurant, bank, store and service needed. Nothing is really walking distance however.

-The rooms have a full kitchen with dishwasher, stove top, microwave, full sized refrigerator with pots, pans, and dishes.

-The separate bedroom provides an "at home" feel and provides plenty of room for work and leisure.

-Breakfast is provided each morning. An evening reception is provide Tuesday thru Thursday evenings.

-A free shuttle service will take you anywhere within a five mile radius.

CONS:

-The rooms are dated. While not problematic they lack the luster of a new location. Furnishings are nicked and scratched. The rooms do not have flat-screen, current televisions. The rooms were well cleaned they are just needing a face life soon. I felt like I was in a hotel from the 90's.

-The internet service is horrible. I have spent dozens of nights in hotels this year and this location had the WORST internet possible. It was almost unusable. It reminded me of the days of using "dial up."

-The exterior is also ready for some elbow grease. Rotting wood, flaking paint, and rust were common. The walkways were muddy in several places after a light rain.

-The food service was very poor. We were left feeling like "scavengers." There was almost an atmosphere of competition to get a bite to eat. The food was poorly stocked. The amount of food was not nearly adequate for the number of guests. I am glad I didn't pay extra for the food or I would have been greatly disappointed. I would say the food service was the low point of our stay.

-Don't expect upgrades if you are a Priority Club Platinum Member. We asked during the reservation process and again upon our arrival. We were told no rooms were available. The occupancy rates seemed very slow during our visit and so I suspect they did have upgraded rooms available.

SUMMARY: If you want a convenient place to stay that is clean and provides basic service you may be happy here. If you are accustomed to the higher quality available at some Staybridge locations you will probably be disappointed. I'd say check the price and if you are a budget traveler this may work for you. It is really unfortunate that this location has so much potential yet misses the mark in several areas.

Room Tip: If you need to use laundry or want to be close to the common areas try to ask for a room in a nearby...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Mt Pleasant, MI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2012

This hotel is somewhat off the beaten path and a little difficult to find, but my GPS got me there fine. Typical Staybridge Suites......very nice front deck person, room immaculate, flat screen TV, etc. Excellent complimentary hot breakfast. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
Idaho Falls, Idaho
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2011

We stayed for 4 nights during our visit to DC. Excellent location with complimentary shuttle to the transportation center. We rented a car for convenience but it is not really necessary if you want to save that expense. Fully equipped kitchen with stovetop sufficient for our needs. Rooms were spotless and the breakfast was more than adequate. Staff very helpful and our requests were met with courtesy. Would stay there again when visiting the area.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2011

Definitely recommending this hotel!! Worked out well for family of 4, We had a 2-bdrm suite. The rooms are far apart from each other so my husband & I had privacy & a great night's sleep. Staff was helpful & the waffles were very good. Planning a 2nd visit soon. They also have a basketball court & outdoor pool.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family

Been to Staybridge Suites Dulles? Share your experiences!